Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I Need Your Help (Worst C64 Games)

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

That would akin to discounting Quadrun and Crazy Climber from a list of good 2600 titles and I don't think the Atari fans would like that now

So MiM stays... it's an excellent game, albeit one laced with the usual Apex difficulty, and the Rowlands sold many thousands of copies (although John was reluctant to tell me exactly how many when I asked him years ago). In fact you can now buy it new again in a special 15th anniversary edition over at Psytronik Software.

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Cohen's Towers... I don't know how similar the A8 and C64 versions are but WOW is it crap on the A8.

I can only imagine it's similarly bad on C64.
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AB Positive View Post
    Cohen's Towers... I don't know how similar the A8 and C64 versions are but WOW is it crap on the A8.

I can only imagine it's similarly bad on C64.
    If you can only go up one floor before some crap comes falling down on to you, have the @&$#% dog come out of the door as soon as you get off the elevator (which has a 50% success rate as it is) and have to go up 10-12 stories just to drop off a package *THAT YOU HAVE TO TAKE UP ONE AT A TIME*; then yeah. It's pretty similar.
    Lick me! LICK ME!!

One of the hopeless idiots that runs SC3; (Southern California Classic Collectors):
    www.sc3videogames.com

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    gamelord2000

I'm glad to see Double Dragon on your list. That game was so horrible on C64.

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sanriostar View Post
    If you can only go up one floor before some crap comes falling down on to you, have the @&$#% dog come out of the door as soon as you get off the elevator (which has a 50% success rate as it is) and have to go up 10-12 stories just to drop off a package *THAT YOU HAVE TO TAKE UP ONE AT A TIME*; then yeah. It's pretty similar.
    ... Yep that's the one! Awful. Absolutely awful.
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Suggestions for the Worst list:

Renegade III
    What About Bob

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Quote Originally Posted by ScottK View Post
    I'm glad to see Double Dragon on your list. That game was so horrible on C64.
    Both of them are to be honest. Both you say? Ocean released a version only on cartridge years after Melbourne House's abortive attempt hit the shelves... ultra rare mind you. Only slightly better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

neither double dragon on C64 is worth placing in and playing.

youd have a more enjoyable time walking outside and getting into a real fist fight.
    Aetherbyte: PC-Engine and more homebrew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Worst list:
    Frenesis (Mastertronic)
    The last V8 (Codemasters)
    ALL Domark James Bond games
    Anything by Martech (with the exception of Mega Apocalypse perhaps, it's fun for 5 minutes, and hey Samantha Fox Strip Poker in pure black and white (Artworx even managed a far better Strip Poker three years ealier))
    Wizardry (The Edge...awful UK version)
    Brian Bloodaxe (The Edge...)
    Garfield (The Edge)
    Quo Vadis (The Edge)
    Risk (The Edge)
    Did The Edge actually managed ONE good game.....no...

That's the thing with UK old C64 game companies, you can just mention the company, and the whole gaming catalogue of said company released only rubbish.
    Last edited by tom; 02-10-2010 at 02:31 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

In Quo Vadis' defense, the game isnt BAD, its just a giant riddle in the form of a platformer/adventure game.
    Aetherbyte: PC-Engine and more homebrew

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

License to Kill by Domark was good, but you're right, by far and away the only decent James Bond game the company put out.

RISK by Edge was good I thought. So was Bobby Bearing (a Marble Madness like adventure game) and Inside Outing. But that's about it. Fairlight was a decent port but ran slowly. Strangely enough the Spectrum versions of some of those games were quite heralded and they are decent titles; guess the ports just sucked.

Martech had Crazy Comets and Mega Apocalypse (both by Simon Nicols), and Equinox. Uchi Mata wasn't a half bad judo game either. And then there's Zoids... it's a marmite game, some people got it and played it to death, some people didn't. I love MA btw Tom, it's better than Mad Planets and a real challenge later on. One of my favourite shooters on the C64.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yeah, I quite liked Bobby Bearing too.
    And yes, I like MA too, I have to admit, I even met Simon Nicol in London. But then he did Back to the Future III, urgh.
    Last edited by tom; 02-10-2010 at 03:47 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I don't wanna sound like a UK game slammer, of course Thalamus never released a bum game, neither did System 3, but take a look at their game releases catalogue during their C64 lifetime. Small inventory with quality releases.
    Same with Scrolls, excellent text adventures, small inventory and Level 9 too, those guys hardcored on all computer platforms.
    Gremlin Graphics had a few cute games....
    Rainbow Arts, a German company, lots of games on C64, most of them very bad, but a few classics too, my fave being Rock 'n Roll, an excellent puzzler (But only to be enjoyed on disk). Katakis is also excellent

As for being an ffd snob, doubt it, more a 'common sense' person. Computers and fdds go hand in hand, as the C64s main markets during the 80s have shown (USA, Germany, these countries purchased fdds as the main storage medium, be it on C64, A8 (second best selling 8-bitter in Germany), or Apple ][ (USA mainly).
    Yes, fdds were more expensive than the computer itself, hey they had moving parts...so that was logical that fdds were more expensive than computers.

Anyhow, how else would you do WP, or keep mailing lists, or do newsletters. Yes, I know, some masochists did that on Spectrums...the less said about this, the better.
    How else would you play the Games series on C64. You gotta be silly to purchase the tape version of Summer Games 2, or World Games. With LCP (a UK best seller on TAPE), you didn't even get the whole game, game play had to be left out....what a bummer. Ever tried Defender of the Crown on tape? Yes, you heard it right, DotC was released in the UK on TAPE. Unthinkable. Again, half the game missing.

As for US companies mainly releasing strategy, I think companies like EA kept the balance quite well..EA did Patton vs Rommel, Bards Tale II and Starflight, at the same time they did Caveman Ugh-lympics, Demon Stalkers (excellent Gauntlet clone), Project Firestart, Skate or Die...etc.

BTW, thanks for the link where to purchase MIM, I'm gonna get this for sure.
    Last edited by tom; 02-10-2010 at 04:04 PM.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

The original MiM is PAL only but I believe the rerelease has been NTSC optimised so it will also work in the US. It also had a few bugs fixed and glitches tidied up. It's MiM+ really, and definitely worth getting. Just expect to be in danger of throwing the joystick every so often due to the difficulty

(But like many games, once you learn the levels and how the mechanics interact, you get better. Much better!)

I'll argue that yes, the tape version of disk heavy titles such as DotC were odd and necessary at the same time. Not ideal by a long shot I will say, but given Commodore's daft pricing for things here in the UK, even at its peak only around 10% of C64 owners had access to the disk drive. Which is why a lot of classic UK originated software was one load to account for being most likely loaded from tape.

Such classics include IK+, Wizball, Mercenary, Bubble Bobble, The Sentinel, Paradroid, Uridium, all of Minter's stuff, Thrust, Buggy Boy, Nebulus, Dropzone, Zoids, Arnie, Power Drift, Head Over Heels, Parallax, Zig Zag, First Strike... and others I'm sure will come to me once I've hit submit to this post...

Later on multiloads were more a necessity. Some were done really well: the fast loader for the Turrican games loaded in the next level in a minute or less. The ones for the Dragon's Lair games loaded in the next level while you played the previous one! But yes, some were very long and very tedious on tape...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    The original MiM is PAL only but I believe the rerelease has been NTSC optimised so it will also work in the US. It also had a few bugs fixed and glitches tidied up. It's MiM+ really, and definitely worth getting. Just expect to be in danger of throwing the joystick every so often due to the difficulty

I'm german and I played 1000s of UK games, I don't have to throw joysticks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    I'll argue that yes, the tape version of disk heavy titles such as DotC were odd and necessary at the same time. Not ideal by a long shot I will say, but given Commodore's daft pricing for things here in the UK, even at its peak only around 10% of C64 owners had access to the disk drive. Which is why a lot of classic UK originated software was one load to account for being most likely loaded from tape.

Such classics include IK+, Wizball, Mercenary, Bubble Bobble, The Sentinel, Paradroid, Uridium, all of Minter's stuff, Thrust, Buggy Boy, Nebulus, Dropzone, Zoids, Arnie, Power Drift, Head Over Heels, Parallax, Zig Zag, First Strike... and others I'm sure will come to me once I've hit submit to this post...

Later on multiloads were more a necessity. Some were done really well: the fast loader for the Turrican games loaded in the next level in a minute or less. The ones for the Dragon's Lair games loaded in the next level while you played the previous one! But yes, some were very long and very tedious on tape...
    Having lived in the UK between beginning 87 and 2004, I was well aware of the Commodore scene in the UK during the 80s. I (still) own most ZZAP!s, Commodore Format, Your Commodore and Commodore Disk User,(Yes, UK had a Commodore magazine with a DISK attached to the mag, that was an excellent magazine) and some others which are all packed up. Yes, I was a frequent C64 software buyer at WHSmith, Boots and whatnot, but most C64 games I purchased on disk from my local computer shop.

But also, fdds were cheaper in the UK than in Germany, also for A8/1050s, so UK didn't have that much of a daft pricing. Lucky you didn't have to buy a 1541 in Germany, then you're crying...
    I believe games on tape in the UK had more to do with the Spectrum, the best selling computer (sad, I know) in the UK, and this computer only being taped based, same as the CPC, why make special efforts for the C64. Having said that, I purchased most of my UK C64 games on fdd (from the likes of Thalamus, System 3, Rainbird...etc...shame Mastertronic didin't do disk games in UK like they did in USA), my local computer shop in Bournemouth stocked both, tape and disk (they had knowledge). If they didn't, like many US titles they did not stock, they were able to order those via the Software Link Chain catalogue (that was UKs nationwide provider/supplier of video games, anything from VCS to PC).
    Last edited by tom; 02-10-2010 at 05:39 PM.