Thread: FS : Sega Nomad Modding Service -- Screen and Battery

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    Jonjandran,

You mention that for the battery pack mod, it is $70, correct? What if the battery pack case was provided as well? Will the price for the battery mod lower, or will it remain at the same $70?

In other words, if I were to send you a spare battery pack, how much will the battery mod be, since you don't have to find it?
    If you send a battery pack I can lower the price to $55.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a "dead" Nomad here, I turn up the volume and the game is playing but screen is dead, also when you move the power cable it turns off. So I think you can replace the screen and can revive the nomad yes? here is a pic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

I would pressume so, since it's a screen replacement.

At least I hope so.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by neojapan View Post
    I have a "dead" Nomad here, I turn up the volume and the game is playing but screen is dead, also when you move the power cable it turns off. So I think you can replace the screen and can revive the nomad yes?
    I am 99.9% sure a screen replacement would fix it. It might be a IC problem but that is highly doubtful.

And I have to repair the power adapter jack on about 75% of the Nomads sent to me , so that is no problem. PM me when you want it done

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonjandran View Post
    I am 99.9% sure a screen replacement would fix it. It might be a IC problem but that is highly doubtful.

And I have to repair the power adapter jack on about 75% of the Nomads sent to me , so that is no problem. PM me when you want it done
    I am very, very interested in doing this. I am all right with the 65 for the screen, but I'm not sure about spending the money on the battery mod-- may sit that one out! Just wanted to give you a bump because I've always been pretty sad about the outdated LCD tech in the Nomad and your service sounds great.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yea the battery mod is a bit expensive because I have to purchase both the batteries and the Nomad battery packs off Ebay.

But it really is worth it. Right now with the Lithium Ions I use and the new screen you can get around 8 hours of playtime. And you will be able to recharge them for a hundreds and hundreds of times unlike those crappy re-chargeable AA's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, those rechargeable AA's only gave me 1 hour and 5 minutes of life, even with the new LCD. Oh well, still looks BEAUTIFUL. Maybe I will get to doing the Lithium Ion mod eventually as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Just a note for using Lithium-Ion batteries. Don't let them loose too much charge(easy to happen in a Nomad), as it can shorten their life span. If you let them completely die, they may not even recharge. I'd recharge them at the first sign of power loss, like the LED flickering. Also, unlike some rechargeables, it's a good idea to keep them topped off. Hope this helps everyone who gets the battery mod. Looks great, by the way.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    Just a note for using Lithium-Ion batteries. Don't let them loose too much charge(easy to happen in a Nomad), as it can shorten their life span. If you let them completely die, they may not even recharge. I'd recharge them at the first sign of power loss, like the LED flickering. Also, unlike some rechargeables, it's a good idea to keep them topped off. Hope this helps everyone who gets the battery mod. Looks great, by the way.
    Nope not the ones I use.

The Lithium Ions I use have a built in protection circuit so this is not a problem. Use them till the system stops working and then charge them till the charger turns green. Rinse and repeat .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

I always thought Ni-Cd has memory issues, not Ni-Mh or Lithium batteries.

Some Lithiums suffer from this?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Gameboy415's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gameb0y415
    PSN
    Gameboy415

If I can track down a Nomad I'll be sending it to you for both mods!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I always thought Ni-Cd has memory issues, not Ni-Mh or Lithium batteries.

Some Lithiums suffer from this?
    Ni-Cd's have the memory problem but that's not the problem I'm talking about. You can let them fully discharge without much worry.

Lithium-ion's on the other hand can become unable to be charged if you let the charge drop too low. But their advantages make them a good choice for using in a Nomad.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I am using Ni-Mh 1.25v rechargeables. And I think they have a memory problem because I always kept the charge topped off. I ran them down until the Nomad died (1 hour 5 minutes), and recharged them. Second time around I got 1 hour and 30 minutes play time. And this time I totally discharged the batteries by leaving the Nomad on even though the screen was blue (the low power led was still on as well), until everything completely shut down. So we'll see what I can get out of it this time.

I have yet to try a set of brand new alkalines. I am curious as to what the life would be on those with the new LCD, but all I have are cheap Rayovac alkalines. I'm sure some good Energizers or Duracells would be better to test the alkaline life with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ni-Cd's have the memory problem but that's not the problem I'm talking about. You can let them fully discharge without much worry.

Lithium-ion's on the other hand can become unable to be charged if you let the charge drop too low. But their advantages make them a good choice for using in a Nomad.
    I dunno, my DS is L-ion and I've smoked the battery in that many a time. And it still gets good battery life and it's now about 5 years old.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

A DS will drain the batteries far less than a nomad will. With the new screen it's probably better off though, but letting them fully discharge can still cause problems.

And letting Ni-Mh's fully drain isn't good on them either. What happens is that if one fully drains before the others, then the others will put a reverse charge on it and ruin the battery.

Sorry for derailing the thread, I think I might write up a battery guide though to help folks out so they can keep their batteries in their handhelds(or in general) lasting as long as possible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Sorry for derailing the thread, I think I might write up a battery guide though to help folks out so they can keep their batteries in their handhelds(or in general) lasting as long as possible.
    Actually, that is a fantastic idea! I would love to read it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well after trying as best as possible to do a full dis-charge on the Ni-Mh batteries, I got about 3 hours playtime with them! That's over double what I was originally getting. These batteries sat in storage for almost a year and were never used - I think that may have something to do with it as well. It seems like they are learning the Nomad, or vise versa. . 3 hours is the most I ever got out of the Nomad using AA's. I believe I never got more than 1.5 hours even when it was new.

By the way, still loving the screen. Phantasy Star IV is a blast to play on the Nomad now.

When I last dis-charged them, I swapped the batteries around a few times to evenly drain them.

I will report back on the battery life again for the next go around. Still have yet to try any new Alkalines or new rechargeables.
    Last edited by Oldskool; 03-02-2010 at 03:52 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A DS will drain the batteries far less than a nomad will. With the new screen it's probably better off though, but letting them fully discharge can still cause problems.
    No, no, no.

First any electronic device will drain a battery. One will not drain a battery "far less" than another. If you play either device till it goes off it has effectively drained the battery past the point that the device will run. Every device has a voltage minimum that it will run at.

And no you are not fully discharging a lithium ion battery when you run it down so far that the device turns off. With my Nomad battery mod there is a protection circuit that lets the battery discharge ONLY to a certain point then it cuts them off. MOST other electronic devices that use Lithium Ion batteries have the same type of circuit built in.

So please stop with the whole "you'll ruin lithium ion batteries if you let them run down". This only applies to Lithium ions with no protection circuit, which most electronic devices have.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by jonjandran View Post
    So please stop with the whole "you'll ruin lithium ion batteries if you let them run down". This only applies to Lithium ions with no protection circuit, which most electronic devices have.
    Makes sense. No wonder when laptop batteries are not working properly, it is said to "run down" the battery completely before charging. Usually, this does the trick, unless the battery is very old.

Does this apply to NiMH as well?

Also, got your PM Jon!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Makes sense. No wonder when laptop batteries are not working properly, it is said to "run down" the battery completely before charging. Usually, this does the trick, unless the battery is very old.

Does this apply to NiMH as well?

Also, got your PM Jon!
    The reason for running down Lithium Ions completely when they are not working properly is that this re-sets the protection circuit .