Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Other than batteries dying, how have you lost save files?

Insert Coin (Level 0) BiggerBoo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Word. I did a lot of trial and error last night and today, and seem to have an okay game going, which seems to be saving. It's hard to be mad at a game that can introduce you over and over again to a character like Buzz Buzz though, regardless. :P
    What an annoying knock!

Insert Coin (Level 0) Red Baron's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've had plenty of lost written-down passwords..

As for actual saves.. I think I lost a Pokemon blue file to my sister saving over it long ago, but I wasn't very far in at all. But then later I managed to destroy a very loaded save file in the same game when experimenting with a gameshark(at least I managed to get a Mew in the end, which was my original goal.)

When I lent my PS2 and memory card to my father, he was playing Draken(sp?): The Elder Gates, which have huge save files.. He needed multiple saves after a while(buggy game), and eventually deleted a lot of stuff on the card to get the needed space.

Also, my sister had my PSX memory card borrowed which had my FF7/Parasite Eve/MGS saves on it.. She lost it with no idea of where it could be. Then years later I was helping clean out her garage and found it in a garbage pile, and full of water and such at that. Well, at least that brought closure to the matter.

Finally, when I was late game in Earthbound(probably my fifth playthrough) a few years back, I managed to crash the game terribly in Magicant(I don't THINK I was using a Game Genie.. I think I may have bumped the console by pulling the controller cord, though.), complete with blackout, then bizarrely crash-sounding noises and music. When I restarted the game, every save file was deleted, but it played and saved normally again after that.

Insert Coin (Level 0) TheClash603's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TheClash603
    PSN
    TheClash603

Not truly "classic gaming," but this fits with the topic and I love to tell and hate this story.

I had Gran Turismo 3 for PS2 and I played over 150 hours. I had unlocked just about everything, and was mildly obsessed with the game for a while.

My freshman year of college this was, and a friend in the dorm asked to borrow my PS2 for some WWF wrestling game he rented.

When I got my system back the next day there were about 30 created wrestlers on my memory card. In order to fit all of those wrestlers he needed to clear space... BY ERASING MY GRAN TURISMO 3 SAVE!!

I have not touched a game in the series since and am bitter to this day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by TheClash603 View Post
    When I got my system back the next day there were about 30 created wrestlers on my memory card. In order to fit all of those wrestlers he needed to clear space... BY ERASING MY GRAN TURISMO 3 SAVE!!
    The fact that we get to picture 30-some wrestlers effectively picking up, possibly suplexing, and throwing out your save game makes this the best story
    on the thread yet. Lol!

And some other stories have recently come into my memory, regarding little brothers' general disregard for the tragedies of lost save files:

When I was a kid, I played my Pokemon Red/Blue so much that on Red, I had maxed out the clock at 99:99, collected/leveled up all my pokemon to 100 (hello Rare Candy cheat). One day when I was much older, I found that after I'd let my step brother borrow my gameboy games, he'd saved over my Red with a game he got about 00:02 into.... Good ol' ADHD, gotta love it.

AND, I also remember one summer where a friend of mine had been grounded, as he had basically beaten his brother within an inch of his life (I think it might've been a Full Metal Jacket re-enactment, what with the socks and soap) for deleting his FFIX game he'd been basically working on getting 100% all school year - he was almost there, from what I understand, and one day when his brother and him were getting in a fight, his brother had done it right in front of him, out of spite! I'll admit I had to admire the little brother's audacity. :P
    What an annoying knock!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Zelda 2 on NES. Pressed the power button over and over trying to get it to boot. All the saves killed themselves after that. When they say to hold the reset button when turning off the system they mean it.
    Last edited by wingzrow; 05-30-2010 at 06:43 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

I let a friend play Morrowind on my xbox. Later I turned it on to find my 30+ hrs of gameplay badass replaced with a lvl1 guy in a loin cloth whose only posessions were stolen silverware and a bounty on his head....

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Once when I was younger I owned a N64 3rd party memory card. This memory card had the strange feature of having a button on the back that when pressed erased all the data. My older brother pointed this out to me when we first got it and I always worried that I would hit it.

One day I brought said memory card over to a friend's house to show off my save for some WCW game. After we finished playing it, I put the memory card in my back jeans pocket as we played around the house. When we decided to play it later we noticed how all of my data had been erased. I freaked out about how my brother would react, and he was a bit upset having worked for the things on the memory card. After that I never played the game again, and I also remember I stopped visiting a message board that was about that game.

Another story I have involves Super Smash Bros. My younger brother and i were playing it when he starts going through all the configuration menus to be annoying. He eventually gets to the delete unlocked character data and hits okay. I got pretty angry at him for that, but I was able to get all the characters back with ease.

One final story I have that is much less interesting deals with Animal Crossing Wild World. I had been playing the game on and off for a year, but had gotten a lot of rare and interesting stuff from Nintendo giveaways and people with Action Replay and just finding things. One day I turned it on and I found my town was missing. I stopped playing the game for a few months before picking it back up again later. I then put it down for good and haven't touched it since due to lack of interest.
    I have a sig?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Final Fantasy 3 I have beaten it around 30 times since Ive owned it [94ish]. Ive lost nearly all of them one way or another over time [not counting overwriting old saves].

The infamous 'oops ive bumped the snes a tad' resulting in garbled screen text and images netted me a few games saves lost.
    Power going off by slightly bumping the cord = more lost FF saves.

I also exploited the sketch bug on mostly every game ive done and i lost a save or two from it...But usually that wouldnt kill game saves. The snes getting bumped was almost guaranteed to wipe your data, this is something Ive only had a issue with FF3 but not other games. Using a Game Genie also screwed over FF 3 alot, for me atleast. Saving games where you could play as Leo or Kefca was risky for your data.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess the most "epic" story I have is when I just got EarthBound and played it for 11 hours straight. One of my ferrets leisurely came along and bumped the cart ever-so-slightly, and it froze, erasing all of the data. Why she went straight over to the SNES, I don't know.
    Later I made a new save, and wiggled, tapped, shook, and took the cart out of the SNES without shutting it off, and lo and behold, the five minutes of gameplay was still there.

I've heard that SNES games sometimes have "spasms" in which you turn the game on, and it would appear that all of your games are lost, but when you reset or take it out and but it back in, they're back. It happened with my Super Mario RPG. No avail with Earthbound, though. You could argue that it was hard on the cart with 11 hours straight, which is probably the case, and I will admit my foolery.
    When you point a finger at someone, you're pointing 4 fingers back at yourself.

Strawberry (Level 2) tomaitheous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

On my Super CDROM2 attachment. The tototek card has a problem with it and will corrupt the entire save file block/ram if a rom image on the flashcard tries to access it. All my hard work gone down the drain...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dib View Post
    Once when I was younger I owned a N64 3rd party memory card. This memory card had the strange feature of having a button on the back that when pressed erased all the data. My older brother pointed this out to me when we first got it and I always worried that I would hit it.
    Might it have been one of those cards that would switch "pages" when you press the button, such that your data would re-appear if you pressed it a certain number of times (to cycle back to the first "page") ?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    haasinhampton

By being anxious, sometimes I will buy a new game and really want to play it, but Ill get my first chance when Im out of town at my sisters house, or at a friends house, and Ill play a good ways into the campaign on someones elses hard drive, and when I return home I have to start from scratch, but thats my fault.
    Autobots. Roll out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Okay, I know I'm probably beating a dead horse here, but I seem to be losing save files at an alarming rate, via my SNES. Could there be something wrong with my system I could fix myself with minimal $$$ til payday, other than just plain replacing it? Home remedies? I've cleaned every god forsaken crevice in/around the input slot/dust cover - what else could there be? There's still quite a few games which work perfectly well on my system. :\
    What an annoying knock!

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If your only having trouble with save files and your satisfied that your game contacts and cartridge slot pins are clean then it's most likely the battery. I would replace that first or test it on another console if possible before buying another SNES. If you get a new battery either check the date code or test it with a multimeter to make sure that it hasn't been hanging on the shelf or sitting in a warehouse for ten years.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."