Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's to become of our downloaded games?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    x Just Scott x

Default What's to become of our downloaded games?

As we all know, the current generation has flooded us with tons of downloadable games. Some are just ports of older games, but more and more, they're coming out with original games. I don't really care about the direct ports, in most cases I would rather just have the original physical copy. But, there are tons of original games that are download-only that I'm very interested in, and my only way to play them is to download them. I've download a couple here and there, but I've been pretty slow to do much more than that because I'm afraid of what will happen to these games. I don't want to put much money into them if in a few years, the next generations of systems comes out, our downloaded games don't transfer on, and once our older system breaks, we're SOL.

To my knowledge, neither Nintendo, Microsoft, or Sony have addressed what they plan to do about this. I know we're a few years away from new systems, but I don't want to buy a ton of games just to eventually lose them. I only buy good games that I plan to keep forever, and I don't like the idea of having no insurance that I get to keep my digital copy of these games, even if my system breaks way down the road.

So, my question is, what do you guys THINK they will do? Is there ANY evidence of what direction they may take, even if it is very slight, or vague? Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

EDIT: Also meant to ask, in the case that our games don't transfer on, is emulation of these downloaded games feasible in the near future (or already happening)?
    Last edited by scottw182; 02-09-2010 at 09:39 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

They don't care. Buy it again.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    They don't care. Buy it again.
    Pretty much.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by scottw182 View Post
    I don't want to put much money into them if in a few years, the next generations of systems comes out, our downloaded games don't transfer on, and once our older system breaks, we're SOL.
    I think it's mostly an unfounded fear since by the time this becomes an issue, if it ever does, the "retro" Xbox 360 will by that time be hacked to hell to the point where restoring your downloads would be a rather simple process and Microsoft would no longer have much of an interest in fighting hacks on a dead console.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    x Just Scott x

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    I think it's mostly an unfounded fear since by the time this becomes an issue, if it ever does, the "retro" Xbox 360 will by that time be hacked to hell to the point where restoring your downloads would be a rather simple process and Microsoft would no longer have much of an interest in fighting hacks on a dead console.
    That's what I'm hoping for, as a backup, but it would be nicer if the games just transferred on to the next system. Is there some big problem with them doing this? It doesn't seem like it would be that hard.

Also, one problem I thought of is some of the WiiWare games require the WiiRemote (I'm pretty sure somebody said the new Blaster Master does, but I haven't played it yet), so just emulation may not be feasible for those.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

new consoles are still pretty far into the future.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    x Just Scott x

I know we're a few years away from new systems, but I don't want to buy a ton of games just to eventually lose them. I only buy good games that I plan to keep forever, and I don't like the idea of having no insurance that I get to keep my digital copy of these games, even if my system breaks way down the road.
    Already recognized that ^

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

That's what I'm hoping for, as a backup, but it would be nicer if the games just transferred on to the next system. Is there some big problem with them doing this? It doesn't seem like it would be that hard.
    Regardless of whether or not it's difficult to do, I'm not sure it's fair to impose some extra requirement on the part of publishers that wouldn't be imposed if they weren't selling digital downloads but rather physical media.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    x Just Scott x

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    Regardless of whether or not it's difficult to do, I'm not sure it's fair to impose some extra requirement on the part of publishers that wouldn't be imposed if they weren't selling digital downloads but rather physical media.
    I don't know much about this sort of thing, what would be required of the publishers? Wouldn't it just be up to Nintendo/Microsoft/Sony to make sure the games downloaded to a particular account get transferred to the new system?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Actually, the concept is harder than you think. Let's take the original Xbox and the 360, for example. The two machines run completely different hardware so in order to even offer backwards compatibility, the new system would either have to have hardware set to run the old (like the PS3 did in the beginning) or use software to emulate the old (latter PS3's and 360's own per-game BC). Problem is, programmers have to figure out how to get the emulator to make the old software work properly on the new hardware. Sometimes it works great (Halo 2, if I'm not mistaken), other times it doesn't (the Baldur's Gate games for example).

Another part of this equation is money. What kind of return is a company going to get if they make their new system backwards compatible? Sure it gives some goodwill to gamers that they can use their old games on their new systems, but in the end, is the company making any money at it? Initially they may get extra sales due to this factor but in the long haul, is it worth it? It's not like they are going to get cash from software sales on an obsolete system. With the PS3, Sony pulled PS2 hardware out to save money and shifted to software, which then was pulled from later PS3s to again save money. Only thing that stayed the same was the PS1 BC, but that's because the architecture is old enough to make it a cheap non-issue. Microsoft didn't even have backward compatibility, they added it on a per game basis but then dropped it. I don't think they're even doing any new Originals downloads anymore, but I could be wrong.

Unless these downloaded games were built on a platform that can be easily shifted (like say the console version of Direct X), I don't think developers or the console companies are going to go through the effort to allow you to port your downloaded games. Of course, they may have new versions available for you to buy but beyond that, I find it doubtful.

But hey, I've been wrong before.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    x Just Scott x

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    Actually, the concept is harder than you think. Let's take the original Xbox and the 360, for example. The two machines run completely different hardware so in order to even offer backwards compatibility, the new system would either have to have hardware set to run the old (like the PS3 did in the beginning) or use software to emulate the old (latter PS3's and 360's own per-game BC). Problem is, programmers have to figure out how to get the emulator to make the old software work properly on the new hardware. Sometimes it works great (Halo 2, if I'm not mistaken), other times it doesn't (the Baldur's Gate games for example).

Another part of this equation is money. What kind of return is a company going to get if they make their new system backwards compatible? Sure it gives some goodwill to gamers that they can use their old games on their new systems, but in the end, is the company making any money at it? Initially they may get extra sales due to this factor but in the long haul, is it worth it? It's not like they are going to get cash from software sales on an obsolete system. With the PS3, Sony pulled PS2 hardware out to save money and shifted to software, which then was pulled from later PS3s to again save money. Only thing that stayed the same was the PS1 BC, but that's because the architecture is old enough to make it a cheap non-issue. Microsoft didn't even have backward compatibility, they added it on a per game basis but then dropped it. I don't think they're even doing any new Originals downloads anymore, but I could be wrong.

Unless these downloaded games were built on a platform that can be easily shifted (like say the console version of Direct X), I don't think developers or the console companies are going to go through the effort to allow you to port your downloaded games. Of course, they may have new versions available for you to buy but beyond that, I find it doubtful.

But hey, I've been wrong before.
    I guess my thinking was that these downloaded games already ran in some sort of emulated mode, as opposed to running like a regular xbox 360 game, utilizing the hardware in the same way. In that sense, it wouldn't be difficult to do the same thing on the next system. But, I guess that's not how they run, so I definitely understand it being difficult then.

As for money and "is it worth it", it just seems like a loss to them to NOT continue the games forward. They have so many games released, that sell consistently, and they're just going to let them all go once the new system is released? So they're just going to start a whole new library of download games and forget about all the old ones? I think people would continue to purchase the games if the kept them around.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Watch the PSPGo. It's the first major market test of sole digital so how it is handled and unfolds will decide much in the near future. Digital titles have great potential. Whether it winds up furthering the medium or cascading down another crash is still up in the air at this point. I'd like to think the sooner in that case, but I have to recognize the potential for shitstorm. Even if it's just us old farts raising hell.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 02-09-2010 at 10:58 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

As for money and "is it worth it", it just seems like a loss to them to NOT continue the games forward. They have so many games released, that sell consistently, and they're just going to let them all go once the new system is released? So they're just going to start a whole new library of download games and forget about all the old ones? I think people would continue to purchase the games if the kept them around.
    But in the grand scheme of things, is it really worth it for the company to spend all that money and time into developing the ability to make backwards compatibility happen if they might not see a return on that investment via sales of the "legacy" software? That has to be taken into consideration.

Digital games are really no different from physical games when a new system comes out. You buy the new system, you'll be buying the new games. Take the PS2 for example, now that the PS3 has a solid foothold. There's really no market left for NEW PS2 games, 95% of what's sold nowadays is used, and the only entities getting money from that are stores and resellers. Sony sees nothing beyond the initial sale. Digital games differ in that respect since there's likely not going to be a used market for them, but how long will people still be buying them before the cost of keeping them available out-paces the revenue received from meager sales?
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

You know what would be better? Since the download goes straight to your HD, it would be better if I could download games to a memory card and have the game branded to that card. If the card breaks, then you could go back to your account and redownload the game to a new card. At least this way, you can take the card out and play it on a different xbox (or whatever machine used this kind of method). The problem most people have with download games is that they are branded to your system, and you can't play them on your friends console elsewhere.

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

I guess my thinking was that these downloaded games already ran in some sort of emulated mode, as opposed to running like a regular xbox 360 game, utilizing the hardware in the same way. In that sense, it wouldn't be difficult to do the same thing on the next system. But, I guess that's not how they run, so I definitely understand it being difficult then.

But that porting still requires effort and resources, both of which require money. Therefore, the authors/publishers/content distributors have a right to charge for them again on another machine. The games I have downloaded onto my 360 and Wii, as well as the physical discs I own, I recognize as licenses to play those games on THOSE machines. I do not feel a sense of entitlement that those games HAVE to transfer over onto whatever machine I buy after the ones I currently own.

They're not going to trash the old games in the coming generations. They're just going to rework them for the next system(s) and have everyone buy them again. Trust me, people WILL buy them again. And again. And again. Just ask Mario

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If they DID care, you should have already been able to play your old NES games on your Wii using the serial number on the cartridge, without having to buy it again!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Flippy8490

This is why I don't ever download DLC games. Only in the rare, rare occasion that something strikes me as a must have. For example, I will absolutely be purchasing Sonic 4 (Episode I) when it is released. But I do constantly worry about the games becoming obsolete.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    x Just Scott x

Quote Originally Posted by mrbigreddog View Post
    If they DID care, you should have already been able to play your old NES games on your Wii using the serial number on the cartridge, without having to buy it again!
    That's not the same, it's a whole different story with download-only games. As somebody else pointed out, they're branded to that system. So, once our systems break, we're screwed. If I knew there was some way that I would be able to play them forever, even if I have to keep replacing the system if it breaks, I would be completely fine.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't like the opinion that a lot of people seem to have about "something worthwhile" only being remakes and sequels to classic games. We've got other great download-only titles, and if the memory on our current-gen systems ever goes kaput then they will be lost forever.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Flippy8490 View Post
    This is why I don't ever download DLC games. Only in the rare, rare occasion that something strikes me as a must have. For example, I will absolutely be purchasing Sonic 4 (Episode I) when it is released. But I do constantly worry about the games becoming obsolete.
    It's not my place to challenge people on their purchasing habits but sometimes I think people's fears of the future can stop them from enjoying the present.

We can apply the same kind of argument to MMOs. Why play an MMO when at some point the servers will get shut down? I don't play MMOs myself for different reasons but I figure if a game looks fun then why not enjoy it while it's here?

I think the reality that it's inevitable that some things will be lost to time is finally hitting video games with both digital content (mostly how it's managed by publishers) and the fact that old EEPROMs are now at the age where erasure can happen any moment now.

Film has seen this happen a lot. There are plenty of old time silent movies that are history because the film stock disintegrated. But if it happens it happens. We should try to prevent it as much as we can but it's probably better to enjoy things while we have them rather than avoid it because one day in the future it might vanish. If you avoided it and it does eventually disappear, what did you gain?

The plus side is that if we're only talking about digital content and not online servers, then the game will probably survive. Even if Mega Man 9 vanishes off WiiWare, Xbox Live, and PSN tomorrow Mega Man 9 will still exist. You'll have to jump through a few hoops to gain access to it but it will be around.

Digital content, in a sense, is probably the best way to preserve games because far in the future when every NES and NES cartridge is dust, Super Mario Bros. will still be playable on an NES emulator.

Correct me if I'm wrong but what I'm getting is that people are afraid that, say, ten years from now WiiWare will be shut down so you won't be able to download Mega Man 9 anymore. If that happens and then your Wii breaks, you're SOL if Mega Man 9 isn't also available on Nintendo's next console.

The thing is, even in this potential scenario, you won't be SOL. If you obtain another Wii you'll be able to get Mega Man 9 back on it through "methods." And, unlike how a ROM or CD-R copy of a game isn't the same as the real thing, you don't get that "it's not the same" feeling with digital data because it flat out is the same thing.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 02-09-2010 at 01:36 PM.