Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help building a DOS machine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PC-ENGINE HELL View Post
    Weird you'd mention the speed issue/choppiness thing, esp with Jazz Jackrabbit. I could swear I never had any issues with that game.
    Mainly referring to the Turbo Pascal errors, as described here. It occurs on most processors newer than a Pentium II.
    PC Game Collector - DOS and beyond

Lazy Game Reviews

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

oh i can't resist
    Quote Originally Posted by phreakindee View Post
    There are patches, but for DOS purists like myself those are annoying.
    Because everything else about maintaining "DOS purity" isn't annoying at all..?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For the OP:

A 486DX2/66 and Windows 95 I would not recommend. My parents had a 486SX (DX?)/66 and we got someone to put Win95 on it and it was kind of sluggish, and that was with 12megs of RAM.

You might be better off with the /100 if you wanna go the Win95 route.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well the deal for the Socket 3 motherboard and 486DX1/100 went south, so I still need a mobo and CPU. Seeing that Socket 3 mobos are hard to come by, I may step up to a Pentium I or II.

On a side note, I know support for Win 98 is dead as of 2006, but you should be able to still download whatever updates they did post at one time, correct? I logged onto Windows update with my Athlon XP 98SE machine, coming off a fresh install and kept getting an error after I scanned for updates.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by esquire View Post
    On a side note, I know support for Win 98 is dead as of 2006, but you should be able to still download whatever updates they did post at one time, correct? I logged onto Windows update with my Athlon XP 98SE machine, coming off a fresh install and kept getting an error after I scanned for updates.
    I would strongly suggest some of the third-party unofficial "service packs" that have come out in the last four years: they neatly bundle together everything you might need.

www.mdgx.com has all the useful links, as well as tons of other nifty information about older versions of Windows and DOS. (Pity the site is kind of difficult to navigate.)
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well the deal for the Socket 3 motherboard and 486DX1/100 went south, so I still need a mobo and CPU. Seeing that Socket 3 mobos are hard to come by, I may step up to a Pentium I or II.

Download and install Internet Explorer 6.1 first. Also make sure your time/calender are set correctly. I know that sounds like it wouldn't make any difference, but it does for some odd reason. As recommended also, you can nab third party bundles that tend to work well. Hardware wise you can always nab a Super Socket 7 AMD K6-2 combo cheap, or a Slot-1 Pentium 2-3 combo using the 440BX chipset. Either would serve you well, and you wouldn't be as limited on hardware choices.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is a 3rd party "Windows98 Service Pack 2.1" that includes all the updates and hotfixes released for Win98 (or so I've been told). One install is better than trying to get a bunch of various ones.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Download and install Internet Explorer 6.1 first.
    The problem is, I can't even download IE 6.1 from MS' website. Everytime I go to the webpage with the download, IE 5 crashes and closes.

I have several K6-2s and IIIs cpus that I kept over the years, but I threw away all the mobos back in the day. Who knew I would be regretting that now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Download and install Internet Explorer 6.1 first.
    There is no IE 6.1 . The latest version of Internet Explorer for Windows 98 was IE 6 Service Pack 1.

The problem is, I can't even download IE 6.1 from MS' website. Everytime I go to the webpage with the download, IE 5 crashes and closes.
    mdgx.com provides several direct links to the full version (as opposed to the web installer):
    ftp://ftp.qut.edu.au/pub/mirrors/mic...p1/ie60sp1.exe
    ftp://131.181.118.243/pub/mirrors/mi...p1/ie60sp1.exe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Push Upstairs View Post
    There is a 3rd party "Windows98 Service Pack 2.1" that includes all the updates and hotfixes released for Win98 (or so I've been told). One install is better than trying to get a bunch of various ones.
    Yea I have that on hand, it offers a few extra things too if I remember right, including a new start up and shut off screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    There is no IE 6.1 . The latest version of Internet Explorer for Windows 98 was IE 6 Service Pack 1.
    ".1" was just short for service pack one lol. Was being lazy, was in the middle of some soldering work and didn't feel like typing out the full name. Short cuts short cuts short cuts lol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dunno how you could stand using a 10yr old PC on today's internet. I tried both my 500mhz and an 800mhz and they both were pretty damn sluggish on today's media heavy sites.

Then again I'm used to a dual core 2.4Ghz with 4gig of ram, the step back would be pretty jarring.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Since my 486 deal fell through, I've managed to come into possession of several machines that my brother had lying around:

Gateway Pentium 120, w/ 1 GB and 10 GB HDs, Matrox MG400 PCI, Ensoniq Soundscape Opus ISA, NIC, Modem, memory, floppy and CD-Rom with Windows 95 installed

Dell Celeron 500 MHz w/ Win 98 (don't know the rest of the particulars)

Dell PIII 1 GHz w/ Win 98 (don't know the rest of the particulars)

Parts stripped from a PII Slot 1 (case defective)

The Celeron is pretty up to date with Win 98 (as opposed to the problem I was having with my Athlon XP which wouldn't update off the MS Update).

I tried installing DOS 6.2 on the P120's 1 GB. I am running into problems with games like Ultima 7, not enough system memory, so I need to run a boot disk. I also need to find a DOS mouse driver for my Logitech Wheel Mouse - suggestions?

Lastly, the Ensoniq sound card is causing me problems. Its PNP and I am having difficulty figuring out the IRQ in DOS. It's allegedly SB Pro compatible, but I can't get it to work in Ultima 7, partly because of the IRQ issue. I am thinking of switching over to either a SB AWE 64 ISA, or Aureal Vortex 2 PCI.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Ultima 7 is one of the most excruciatingly persnickety games you might ever want to run. I suggest you consult one of the many online guides on the subject (http://members.iinet.net.au/~rsd/ looks pretty nifty - remember to use archive.org for dead links), and then just get out a normal PC and use Exult.

I could very well be wrong on this, but as I recall, Ultima 7 cannot be run if an expanded memory manager is loaded, and the DOS drivers used by PCI Ensoniq or Creative Labs soundcards require expanded memory. It may be impossible to circumvent this conflict.

I can tell you that some people have apparently had success with Ultima 7 and UMBPCI , a utility which creates upper memory blocks without expanded memory, but I don't know the details and I don't think it will help with the sound card issue.

As for mouse drivers, CuteMouse is the only thing worth bothering with, unless you have some kind of perverse longing for authentic Logitech DOS drivers for your DOS experience. (Of course, CuteMouse won't work with USB devices, and you should not count on a USB-to-PS2 adapter to work with all mice - but I guess a lot of Logitech products still include one of those.)

And don't forget that setting up multiple configurations with DOS 6.2 is a fairly trivial matter, so you need not necessarily deal with a boot disk.
    Last edited by J'orfeaux; 02-23-2010 at 08:09 AM.

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

For whatever help it might be, I've attached my startup files... It starts up with a menu that allows picking between EMM386, QEMM (a third party replacement), or no memory manager at all (specifically for U7). Don't just drop these onto your system and expect them to work though, as your stuff may be in different places and whatnot, but it might give you some hints on how to tweak your own system.

If you don't want to go through all the trouble of setting up a menu, you can always cheat and hit F8 when the "Starting MS-DOS" message comes up, and DOS will step through your setup files asking for confirmation on each step. Simply skipping the EMM386 line might be good enough to get Ultima 7 running as long as you don't use too many other TSR's.

Even with all the drivers I load, I still manage to get 634k free with QEMM, and 610k free with EMM386 (some programs, such as Windows 3.1, are not compatible with QEMM, so EMM386 is sometimes necessary). My U7 setup leaves me with only 580k free, but this seems to be enough for Ultima 7, so I haven't made any attempts to better than. Just as a test, I tried disabling my sound drivers, and I got sound in the game anyways, so I really have no idea what those sound drivers even do aside from wasting about 30k of memory.

One thing you might notice is this little bit:
    Code:
    FILES=40
    DOS=HIGH,UMB
    LASTDRIVE=F
    FCBS=4,0
    STACKS=9,256
    I'm never quite sure how much (if at all) this affects free memory, but if you leave some of these out, I think DOS will use excessively large values by default. If you need to squeeze a few extra kilobytes of memory out of your system, you might want to try fiddling with these settings... you certainly don't need buffers for a drive Z: that will never exist! If you set FILES or STACKS too low, some programs (including games) will complain, so it's tough to find a good balance.

Quite a bit of memory can be saved by ditching the default MS-DOS mouse and CD-ROM drivers. Instead, use CuteMouse and SHSUCDX. Of course, if you're trying to get Ultima 7 running, then skip the CD-ROM drivers entirely, as they're just wasting memory for a device that the game will not use.

--Zero

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I currently have DOS 6.2, not 6.22, on disc. Is there much of a difference?
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

from what i've read those files should update your dos to 6.22