Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Top 3 Rarest N64 games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Also, the winner of that Super Bowling is located in Australia. So if you aren't shipping internationally, it may sell for considerably less than $227. IMO, it's more like a $100 game.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonebone View Post
    Also, the winner of that Super Bowling is located in Australia. So if you aren't shipping internationally, it may sell for considerably less than $227. IMO, it's more like a $100 game.

Didn't look that close at where the buyer was... but I wonder if all the higher bidders were international? Mine's up now, so we'll see what the tolerance is for two copies so close together. I'd really like to hold on to it for a while longer, but I just can't right now.

Also, I meant "rare" only in a comparative context in relation to other N64 titles. I didn't mean rare overall- like it takes years to rack down "rare".
    Last edited by TheDomesticInstitution; 07-08-2011 at 08:40 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) lauraleebm's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know any PAL game very rare, all them appears every month.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've seen most of these "in the wild" depending on your definition (do game stores count?), but the only one I would say was really "in the wild" was Worms Armageddon which I bought from a Goodwill for $5. I've yet to see ISSS or that Bowling game tho.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've honestly never heard of uFO Bowling until this thread. So that has to be pretty damn rare.
    And don't bring up that stupid girlie Aladdin rip off! Shantea?

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

The game is just called Super Bowling. UFO is the publisher. Just throwing that out there in case that's causing confusion.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

man I wish I had been able to buy some of these back when blockbuster and the local video store were selling them off but alas I was just a kid with limited allowance money

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    The game is just called Super Bowling. UFO is the publisher. Just throwing that out there in case that's causing confusion.
    I hadn't heard of the game before.
    Didn't even know UFO published an N64 game, I thought they old existed in the current generation.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

I'd just like to say that it blew my fucking mind seeing Bomberman Second Attack ending for $282 when I have a mint complete copy sitting on my shelf that I don't even know where it came from. What the hell is going on here.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe I should have thrown mine on the Bay, and not sold it here. $95 still was still a good price for Second Attack. Since when did people start giving a shit about N64 titles?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

I dunno but it's crazy how much value is just growing and growing and very quickly too.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i have gotten lucky in the past month as I got Stunt Racer with box for $2.50 at a game store, and gotten Super Bowling with box for $10 and Duck Dodgers complete for $5

So not bad finds in the wild in the past month

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Yeah, the wild hasn't caught up to current prices for a lot of N64 so now's the time to hunt this stuff down.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Strange that this oddball stuff is shooting up while the stuff that you'd expect to have high demand and values still is pretty reasonably cheap, like Ogre Battle 64 and Harvest Moon 64. I mean, if you look at, say, PS1, most of the rarest games aren't remotely close to being the most valuable, while the most valuable is more common but just has a fervent cult fan base. Maybe we've just hit a bump where there are a handful of N64 collectors desperate to complete their sets, but I don't think we can count on these prices to stay consistent. I don't see enough demand for something like Super Bowling to keep it at a high price.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the big thing is the games being CIB
    How many N64 carts do you see floating around compared to Boxed/CIB versions

I think the Rare CIB stuff will hold decent values as you know alot of collector's are wanting Boxed/CIB stuff and some of the N64 are down right tough to track down. I think N64 and SNES Boxed/CIB stuff for some things are much harder than NES

I think part of it has to do with the boxes being thicker and not as sturdy as NES boxes, so they got damaged or pitched more than NES boxes plus stinking Gamestop started throwing away boxes in the N64 era quite a bit reducing the number of boxed games

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My UFO Super Bowling went for $129 to a US bidder. I probably should have opened it up from the get go to international bidders, but I've heard so many horror stories lately. 3 people contacted outside of the country, and I allowed them to bid. Anyway I'm pretty happy, considering I paid $8 for it 3 years ago.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Strange that this oddball stuff is shooting up while the stuff that you'd expect to have high demand and values still is pretty reasonably cheap, like Ogre Battle 64 and Harvest Moon 64. I mean, if you look at, say, PS1, most of the rarest games aren't remotely close to being the most valuable, while the most valuable is more common but just has a fervent cult fan base. Maybe we've just hit a bump where there are a handful of N64 collectors desperate to complete their sets, but I don't think we can count on these prices to stay consistent. I don't see enough demand for something like Super Bowling to keep it at a high price.
    But N64 is hyped as "easy" to complete with such a small library. PS1 is far from that, the library is gigantic. So there will be many more collectors who attempt to get a fully complete N64 set, and the rares will always have value. I do think prices are a bit inflated right now and will cool off, but in the long run, they're definitely going up from here.

Also, N64 has no end labels and the cart only set is dull for that reason. So you either make your own end labels (or buy them), if you store them on a shelf, or perhaps you go CIB. Another reason why CIB will be popular on this system, glad I finished my set already.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDomesticInstitution View Post
    My UFO Super Bowling went for $129 to a US bidder. I probably should have opened it up from the get go to international bidders, but I've heard so many horror stories lately. 3 people contacted outside of the country, and I allowed them to bid. Anyway I'm pretty happy, considering I paid $8 for it 3 years ago.
    Yeah the guy who won it is an NA mod and that was the very last game he needed for a CIB set. There was also a Canadian bidder on NA who was offering a free $50 to the winning buyer if they'd win it and ship it to him. So I'm kind of surprised it didn't go for more.

I think it's about a $100 title with a good bit of upside in the future.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Well, I wouldn't call a complete N64 cart collection "dull". It's still a big accomplishment, and I'd love to have one myself. I mean, bottom line, the games themselves are the most important thing, not a box that you'll probably glance over once and then leave sitting on a shelf for years and years. I wouldn't really see the boxes as a storage solution either. Of my 100+ N64 game collection, I have a fairly large percentage of them boxed, but almost none of them are actually stored in their boxes (mostly just the Japanese games, which have sturdy plastic trays). The boxes are just way too flimsy. I just put the boxes on the shelf for display and put the carts away in a drawer/box/tub/etc.

How rare exactly, using the DP numerical system, would you say a complete Super Bowling is? I'm just skeptical that anything on N64 is quite as rare as, say, the rarest of the pre-crash games, which are indeed the most expensive games for those systems. I think, in time, with maybe one or two exceptions if they REALLY have the rarity to back them up, the most valuable games for N64 are going to be ones with high demand, not unless there's going to be a steady stream of collectors dying to finish a CIB set. The N64 library may be smaller than most mainstream system libraries, but it's still a considerable number of games to collect. It's also a system with a very mixed reception (look at the least played system topic; practically every other system named is N64), so I don't think THAT many people are going to go for a CIB set. Heck, looking at the Dreamcast, a system with a comparable library, albeit a bit smaller yet and a mostly positive cult status; aren't its most valuable games still largely determined by demand (demand from those that want to play, that is, not demand from those completing a set)?

Well, I'm just throwing my theories out in the wind. We'll see how things play out in time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I wouldn't call a complete N64 cart collection "dull". It's still a big accomplishment, and I'd love to have one myself.
    I didn't mean the cart only set is "dull" as in boring, just "dull" as in doesn't display well. Cart only NES / SNES sets display great due to end labels. With N64 you're going to improvise somehow.

How rare exactly, using the DP numerical system, would you say a complete Super Bowling is? I'm just skeptical that anything on N64 is quite as rare as, say, the rarest of the pre-crash games, which are indeed the most expensive games for those systems. I think, in time, with maybe one or two exceptions if they REALLY have the rarity to back them up, the most valuable games for N64 are going to be ones with high demand, not unless there's going to be a steady stream of collectors dying to finish a CIB set. The N64 library may be smaller than most mainstream system libraries, but it's still a considerable number of games to collect. It's also a system with a very mixed reception (look at the least played system topic; practically every other system named is N64), so I don't think THAT many people are going to go for a CIB set.
    I don't follow the DP guide at all. I believe Super Bowling, on a CIB basis, is a top 5 rarity for the system... at least until a stash floods the market. But in today's market, it's there.

Being in demand doesn't necessarily lead to a high price. Look at Marios / Zeldas which are always in demand but never the most expensive CIBs on a system.

As far as popularity, it has a few things going for it.

1) Arguably the best local multiplayer system ever. Anyone who played it as a kid remembers countless hours spent playing Goldeneye or Mario Kart.

2) Started modern day franchises of Mario Party / Smash Bros / Paper Mario.

3) The end of cartridge based Nintendo systems. Most collectors in the hobby complete goals and move to new ones if they stick it out long enough. Natural progression for many collectors would be NES -> SNES -> N64.

Some people like it, some people hate it. But I know there not enough CIBs of the rares to go around for all the current interest. And I think we're still far away from when N64 interest will be at a peak.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Well I know demand alone won't do it. :P It takes a little bit of rarity. Suikoden 2 and Valkyrie Profile are far from being the rarest PlayStation games, but they're definitely rarer than a Twisted Metal or Crash Bandicoot. That's why I think games like Harvest Moon 64 and Ogre Battle 64 fit the model of a valuable game more since they're relatively uncommon and desired, but, if anything, I think Harvest Moon 64 has actually gone down since a few years ago.

The end of cartridge based Nintendo systems. Most collectors in the hobby complete goals and move to new ones if they stick it out long enough. Natural progression for many collectors would be NES -> SNES -> N64.
    Heh, I'm a bit skeptical of that one. For one, if someone actually shoots for a full CIB NES and SNES set first, they'll probably never get to N64, haha. But seriously, there are so many people that adore NES and/or SNES that despise the N64. I see the future of N64 collectors, for the most part, being kids that were too young to even experience NES and SNES and thus grew up with N64. It's unfortunate that there aren't more older collectors that enjoy N64, but that's just the way it is.