Thread: King's Quest

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Default King's Quest

Who here was into these games back in the day? I got into them a little late, around 1991 or 1992. The game I got was King's Quest IV: The Perils of Rosella, for my Atari STe. I fell in love with it right away, and eventually beat it (extremely hard with no internet). I loved it so much I quickly ordered I, II, and III. Although IV was still my favorite, I appreciated them all. II was my second favorite, with III being my least (this is the only one of the four with a time limit, and since I'm a slow gamer, the wizard always caught me).

For Christmas 1994, my mom bought me a CD-ROM for my PC (probably a 486), and one CD game. I quickly set it up, and rushed to play that CD game, King's Quest V. Although the critics don't like it, I hearted this game to no end. SVGA graphics, and voice throughout the game! I played it until the end, and loved every minute of it. However, that was the last of the magic. I never did get into another King's Quest game again, although I did briefly play parts VI and VII.

A couple of years ago, I got King's Quest Collection, which is all seven games in one (hmm, but no VIII), updated to work on modern, faster PC's. I recommend any fan or anyone who has never played a King's Quest game to get this, as it is very cheap now on Amazon. One of these days, I will play all seven in order, and try not to cheat with modern internet hints.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quest for Glory II was the first adventure game I ever played, but King's Quest VI was the first adventure game I ever owned - it came as a CD-ROM pack-in with the PC we bought in 1993.

It was quite unlike anything I'd played up to that point. It ran in Windows 3.1, yet had what I considered to be excellent graphics for the time, voice-acting... it even featured a short intro movie.

The game itself I thought was great - great puzzles, great story, a wide variety of characters and scenery. Easily my favorite King's Quest game, and one of my favorite adventure games period. A few years later I played King's Quest V, which I also thought was very well done, though not quite as varied.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I grew up being a HUGE King's Quest fan. I even asked my mom to make me newspaper-hat like King Grahm's adventurer cap...

I first played KQV on NES, and I had never seen anything like it before. For my 6th birthday, I got the Sierra On-Line 10th Anniversary King's Quest Collection, which amazingly is still in decent condition and mostly complete. I played V and VI over and over, but didn't play 1-4 until a few years later when I realized I had to manually copy them off the CD (the installers were borked, or something...).

I've finished them all except IV and VIII. Mask of Eternity is... weird. I didn't even want to TOUCH it when it came out, given how different it was.

I replayed V and VI not too long ago. I was REALLY tired, and there's a lot of echo, but if you REALLY WANT TO WATCH, they're both recorded on my Livestream channel.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My first PC was a 8086 with no harddrive, only a 5 1/4" floppy drive. It had a green/black monochrome monitor and was a Tandy. I loved it.

It couldn't play a lot of games, but I did have some of the Sierra ones, including Kings Quest III: To heir is human. I never beat it, but made it pretty far. The game scared the crap out of me. Medusa in the desert was creepy, and I was always afraid of the wizard appearing.

I recently bought the Kings Quest collection from Steam for like 5 bucks. I hope to play through KQ3 again.

Insert Coin (Level 0) primalmaster's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    exaesism

my first pc game that i owned was KQ VI which is still the best in the series in my opinion. I also just recently finished space quest 1 through 5.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really love these types of games but I have never completed any of them. I think I own II but tried it on my current laptop but it ran way too fast it wan't even playable.
    My Game Collection, Doubles Are For Sale: http://www.rfgeneration.com. User name is Shaggy. I will entertain any other reasonable offer.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    My first PC was a 8086 with no harddrive, only a 5 1/4" floppy drive. It had a green/black monochrome monitor and was a Tandy. I loved it.

It couldn't play a lot of games, but I did have some of the Sierra ones, including Kings Quest III: To heir is human. I never beat it, but made it pretty far. The game scared the crap out of me. Medusa in the desert was creepy, and I was always afraid of the wizard appearing.

I recently bought the Kings Quest collection from Steam for like 5 bucks. I hope to play through KQ3 again.
    KQIII is really good, pretty different from the others. I played through the original, but there is a fan-made 256-color version with KQV/VI interface. Now that I think about it, I only finished the fan remakes of I and II.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

We owned an IBM XT clone when the original King's Quest was released. Like coldbeer, we didn't have a hard drive yet so we played it directly off of floppies. My main memory of the original was how slow it was. I remember it used to take Sir Graham something like 10-15 seconds to walk all the way across the screen, and then it would take another 5-10 seconds for the next screen to load. This made it a pain when you had to go from one area to another one multiple screens away. Additionally, the sound sucked coming out of our pitiful little PC speaker.

In the spring of 1985 we got a PCjr and the game looked and played much better on it, although I still think it may have been a little slow (and again, at least initially, we had no hard drive for it).

I'm pretty sure I beat the first three back in the day. I remember playing one on CD-Rom one time and thinking it wasn't anything like the originals and losing interest pretty quickly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Zap! View Post
    A couple of years ago, I got King's Quest Collection, which is all seven games in one (hmm, but no VIII), updated to work on modern, faster PC's. I recommend any fan or anyone who has never played a King's Quest game to get this, as it is very cheap now on Amazon.
    It's also on Steam, which means it will inevitably go on sale at a deep discount if you're willing to wait long enough. As previously mentioned, extremely good fanmade remakes of King's Quest I through III are also freely available.

By all accounts King's Quest VIII was complete and utter crap and not worth dealing with.

Looks like The Silver Lining project (formerly King's Quest IX) isn't completely dead yet.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My favorite was always Space Quest. I played Space Quest 3 for long I almost finished it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ntanner

We used to have a IBM XT with 2 5.25-Floppy drives and no HD. And King's Quest 1.
    I started to learn English because of this game, or at least to look up words in a dictionary. Those were the days...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I love the Kings Quest games.

We had 1 - 7 for our PC. I would always sit and watch my brother and his friend play through the first 4 installments. I was too young and impatient to use the parser.

I played V to death however. My friend and I used to play it all the time but we would always get stuck once we reached the mountains. Eventually I got a hankering to play the first 4 installments but I didn't want to fight to get them to run on our newer PC and even if I got it to run i'm sure it would have ran to fast.

After doing some research, it seems that the Atari ST and Amiga have the best looking and sounding versions of Kings Quest 1-4. So I decided to re-buy the first 4 games on my Atari STe about a year ago. This way I could play them hassle free and they would look and sound great. Then I soon realized that I overlooked one major factor.

Hard Drive!

Now I am not very experienced with the ST but as far as I know there is no option to install these games on my STe's Hard Drive. This means that every few screens I have to swap disks and it drives me crazy. It makes the game painstakingly slow, especially backtracking between screens. Then the Power Supply crapped out on my STe and I have yet to replace it.

One day I will play the first 4 installment, though. I still love the series.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

What, no thread about this? Oh well, here we go:
    The Silver Lining is kaput.

(But then, after eight freakin' years, it's easy to get skeptical about whether it would ever be completed at all.)
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)