Defender
    Gauntlet
    Joust
    Paperboy
    Robotron 2084
    Root Beer Tapper
    Smash TV
    Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3

Major Nelson said these are gone now due to publisher legal issues. Although you can redownload them if you already bought them.
    And don't bring up that stupid girlie Aladdin rip off! Shantea?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Whoever bought Midway's IP apparently doesn't want them out there? Or the contract Midway had with MS no longer applies?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

Damn. I wish I snagged Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 while I had the chance. I love that game. Or even Paperboy XD

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Wasn't UMK3 broken or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Apple (Level 5) Shadow Kisuragi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The leaderboards for UMK3 are broken. They sort backwards, so the person in 1st is the worst ranked player.
    Fortunately, I already purchased all of these.

Microsoft has been waiting to get rid of these for a while...low metacritic, no online base, and they're rereleased retro titles. They'll be released in the Game Room at some point, just watch.
    Last edited by Shadow Kisuragi; 02-17-2010 at 02:13 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

UMK3 had a pretty consistent playerbase, I thought. Hell, I recall hearing the game sold fairly well on XBL. Shame though, that and a few other titles there are pretty good.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Another scary glimpse of the future of videogames.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by RCM View Post
    Another scary glimpse of the future of videogames.
    Indeed, users who now want a Midway game on XBLA seem to be SOL, but I think that physical games go out of print far more frequently than DLC games are removed from digital circulation.

Except for a situation like this where it's a "rights issue" or the occasional oddball "store cleanup" (Double Dragon, Yaris, etc.) we rarely see much pulled from XBLA, PSN, VC, etc.

Can anybody confirm if the PSN Midway titles were pulled as well?
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 02-17-2010 at 03:51 PM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Some of those have code cards I believe, I wonder what happens if you put one of those in now.

I can't change my avatar. Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YaoIsGod

Weren't those games all 400pts? perhaps MS doesn't want people to buy Arcade games so low...
    Like free stuff? I have earned hundreds of dollars in free Amazon gift cards through Swagbucks. Check it out here! Earn 3000 points and I will give you FREE shipping the next time you buy from me!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Porksta

Apple (Level 5) Shadow Kisuragi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Robotron 2084 and Joust had point cards, for the person that asked. Good question...

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Indeed, users who now want a Midway game on XBLA seem to be SOL, but I think that physical games go out of print far more frequently than DLC games are removed from digital circulation.
    I think what bugs people is that it happens so suddenly. One day, it's there for the taking. The next, it's gone forever. When a PS2 game goes out of print it's still possible to get a copy.

I think contract issues between Midway and MS are probably the cause because, as far as I know, Warner Bros. bought all of Midway's assets so it's not like there could be that much of a conflict. The games might end up coming back online once the few kinks are worked out.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 02-17-2010 at 07:31 PM.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger
    I think what bugs people is that it happens so suddenly. One day, it's there for the taking. The next, it's gone forever. When a PS2 game goes out of print it's still possible to get a copy.

I think contract issues between Midway and MS are probably the cause because, as far as I know, Warner Bros. bought all of Midway's assets so it's not like there could be that much of a conflict. The games might end up coming back online once the few kinks are worked out.
    Of course, I completely "get" why people are frustrated, I was just illustrating that physical distribution has the same instances of things being cut off from a distribution standpoint.

And of course we feel it less because of the used marketplace/resellers. But, TECHNICALLY there are pitfalls there too, if supply < demand then you have inflated prices at resale which would never ever take place via a DLC market environment where the price is almost always stable or decreasing over the course of time.

But, I'm not looking to un-cork a debate over this whole thing. I'm just playing devil's advocate that the grass isn't completely greener on the physical distribution side of things. Stupid shit happens there too.

I do ultimately think it SUCKS that the games were pulled and the impact of this kind of thing in a DLC market is absolutely painful to the gaming masses.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 02-17-2010 at 05:21 PM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You're right that there are problems on both sides. The pitfalls are just different.

I do wonder what the repercussions of this will be, though. Are we going to eventually see 360 HDDs selling for a premium second hand because they have a game that's been pulled off the service?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Glad I have the ones that interest me (All of them except Cyberball, Paperboy, and UMK).

I'm surprised they've been on there the past year, I expected to see them be pulled a year ago when the bankruptcy process was initiated.

I wonder what this indicates? The only thing I can think of is it means Warner has sold the IP to another firm.

Was the Midway content on PSN affected (Championship Sprint, Gauntlet II, Joust, Mortal Kombat II, Rampage World Tour, and Rampart)?

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    What contract issues? As far as I'm aware, Warner has closed on the deal and this stuff has belonged to them for quite sometime, so I'm confused on how it's related to Midway's bankruptcy and Warner's aquisition. But they've also been selling off bits of Midway's IP since last Fall. Perhaps they've resold some of Midway's classic back catalog to a different firm or it's been delisted in anticipation of the upcoming Game Room release?

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    I do wonder what the repercussions of this will be, though. Are we going to eventually see 360 HDDs selling for a premium second hand because they have a game that's been pulled off the service?
    I can guarantee you that won't happen. You need more than just the file. If you purchase a used HDD with this content on it, you'd only have demo access to any of it since your account never purchased any of it. You can't unlock it to play the full game. I can go back right now and download the Cyberball and Paperboy demos since I downloaded them in the past, but I have no way to unlock it to play the full game.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Kisuragi View Post
    Microsoft has been waiting to get rid of these for a while...low metacritic, no online base, and they're rereleased retro titles. They'll be released in the Game Room at some point, just watch.
    They've backed off their delisting plan. Everything that has disappeared was a limited time promotion (Such as Yaris) or was because of rights issues (Such as Double Dragon). So I can promise you that they weren't delisted because of things like low Metacritic scores.

I too wonder if it has to do with Game Room. But there doesn't appear to be any indication yet that classic Midway (And Atari Games and Williams) content is slated to be on there.

What I really hope is Warner pulled them due to planning a new Midway Arcade Treasures release that brings all the previous content from MAT1-3 together while addressing issues and including another round of 15-20 new games. We're seeing companies decide that compilations aren't dead the past couple of years after a slow period during the early part of this generation when we were only seeing $5 digital downloads.

So maybe Warner is planning to cash in on the back catalog they've purchased.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 02-17-2010 at 10:41 PM.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Weren't those games already released for the original Xbox on one of the several Midway compilations that came out? Why not just use that, aren't Xbox discs compatible with the 360 too?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Weren't those games already released for the original Xbox on one of the several Midway compilations that came out? Why not just use that, aren't Xbox discs compatible with the 360 too?
    The Midway Arcade Treasures line was never made backwards compatible. They were all on the first release with the exception of Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, which was never included on any MAT release.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

And here's me thinking when I heard the news they were gonna show up in the new Games Room instead and this was a pre-emptive cull. Maybe not then...

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quick question. If your hard drive crashes can the purchased games be recovered?
    neo geo system

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by gepeto View Post
    Quick question. If your hard drive crashes can the purchased games be recovered?
    Already been covered a few times in this thread. If you ever downloaded it, you can still download it from your account's download history. This doesn't affect people that have purchased a game.

That even includes demos. If for some reason you ever tried the demo for something like Robotron 2084 and never made the purchase, it's still in your download history. You're free to redownload the demo (Though why you would when you can't even purchase it to unlock the full game, I don't know why).