Thread: Rainbow Islands

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Rainbow Islands

I just got this through the post for my Saturn today. I am thoroughly addicted! You fon't get much more pure gaming than this!!

However, I keep getting killed by that damned Vampire Bat boss at the end of Level 12. I WILL beat him. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow. But i WILL!!

And don't even get me started on how crap I am at Bubble Bobble. Also a great game, but not quite as good as Rainbow Islands IMHO. Although I have yet to try BB in two player mode. Should be interesting!

Vroomfunkel

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

rainbow islands rocks !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cant even get as far as you though

Pac-Man (Level 10) Arqueologia_Digital's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by autobotracing
    rainbow islands rocks !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cant even get as far as you though
    Sure, and NES version is cool too...

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default haha!

I rule! I have defeated the evil vampire bat boss. And made it all the way to the next boss, where I am now stuck once again. aaaah, they don't make 'em like they used to! I just love the simplicity and oddballness of this game. Running around throwing rainbows all over the place - with that genuine old-school frustratingness when you make a little error and die as a result. But I can now make it all the way up to the Vampire Boss without loosing a life. And I nearly broke 1,000,000 as well. Haha.. once the summer comes, this game's arse will be mine. I will defeat it and become Rainbow Island King! :P

But now, back to the assignment :/ damn it.

Vroomfunkel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Rainbow Islands is one of my all-time favourites (probably top 3 or 5).
    The Dracula boss is one of the hardest in the game, and to beat him you really NEED fast triple rainbows. The best tactic [for most bosses] is to pile up a load of rainbows in the top half of the screen, and then jump on them to crash them all down onto the boss at the right moment. Timed right, this can knock off 50-75% of the bosses health in one blast.
    Also, it helps to master the technique of jumping, firing rainbows mid-jump and the crashing them as you land. This is handy throughout the game, but especially against the swarms of pink bats that the Dracula sends at you.
    Also, beasties killed by falling (rather than directly fired) rainbows leave behind the Rainbow Crystals that are needed to open the bonus rooms, and some of the funkier power-ups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

D'oh! Guess I spent a little too long typing that
    Congrats on beating the Dracula, he really is a little sod.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default ooh!

Bonus rooms?? There's more to this game than I thought!! I have managed to get all the crystals a couple of times before, but I've always died before discovering what having them all actually does.

I hadn't realised that the crystals are only generated by falling rainbows, I'll bear that in mind in future! I actually beat Dracula with just the single rainbow! I had triple rainbows when I reached him, but my first effort to get him failed, as usual, with one of the bats catching me out. I lost one more life, and then managed to get up the top and pile up a load of rainbows to drop on him. Then scurried across the screen, killed the pursuing bats, dropped to the bottom and ran underneath him to the other side, and repeated my feat. A couple of times of that and he was a goner... it's the method I'd been trying before, but you really just need some practice to learn how to kill off those bats without any of them getting you.

I've got to keep away from the game for the moment though, as I really need to finish off some assignments ... if I don't have them done by Monday, I will fail my course. Which would not be nice. Would be distinctly unpleasant, in fact.

Vroomfunkel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

To open the bonus rooms, you need to collect all the gems IN ORDER (R-O-Y-G-B-I-V) [if you fail to get them in order, it's just a 1-up]. It's pretty hard, but is made easier when you know that where the crushed beastie lands determines the colour of the gem (ie far left of the screen = red, middle of the screen = green, far-right = violet etc)
    The bonus rooms appear in the boss rooms, and give you permanent power-ups that last even after you're killed. World 1 = permanent fast shoes, World 2 = permanent double rainbows, world 3 = permanent fast rainbows. I can't remember any after that (if I've ever got 'em).
    Also there's 3 bonus worlds after World 7, but I can't remember how to open them off-hand.