Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Kids Today...

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Next time someone bashes games for being "old," make fun of them for watching movies that are "old." They at least have enough culture to watch movies from the 80s and 90s, right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Gasshu-kun

Quote Originally Posted by ghostangelofcky View Post
    i remember those awesome arguements, honestly I kind of miss them at times. Transformers vs GI Joe. Metallica vs Megadeth. But, my fav ones where Genesis vs SNES. All the RPG fans against the arcade attics.

Good times.
    Ah, I remember well. It was fun until the arguments started ending in the same fashion as political ones: name-calling, forceful change of subject, or both. :/
    In Heaven, everything is fine.

Peach (Level 3) ghostangelofcky's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zoltor View Post
    Lol by posting such a thing, you are asking for someone to derail the thread, due to the fact people are very passionate on that subject(including myself, but I have good self control), I suggest you use a different example.
    derailing would be me including my opinion, which I did not. Back to your bridge.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

Quote Originally Posted by Zoltor View Post
    You're better off just ignoring such people, in r/l or ask them how does it feel like paying $60 for a game, that only offers 1-3 days tops, of gameplay, and that it wasn't even close to being as great, as the Trailers/reviews implied(that should shut them up).
    Are we talking about new games or old games?

I mean lets not kid ourselves here, Contra on NES wasn't cheap when it came out, and its a 1 hour game. lol

and lots of old games had deceiving advertising..

The real thing you need to point out to kids is that the retro consoles paved the way for all the glittery polygons they are drooling over, and that back in the day, high res sprites were state of the art. Technology was being pushed to the limits even back then, and its stupid to compare them to 3D hardware based games in a negative way.

Though I guess you can't fully blamed the kids. They don't know what "hardware limitations" means, and have no idea what a sprite is, other than the pop.
    Aetherbyte: PC-Engine and more homebrew

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ReTrO-pLaYeR View Post
    This may not precisely pertain to classic video games- but it does involve them in a sense. I'd just like to blow off a little steam concerning my classmates up at my middle school...

They love to talk smack about the classic games (particularly NES and SNES) just to piss me off- they know I'm obsessed with 8-Bit Mario games in particular. They say those games are "stupid" (great vocabulary, kids!) because they don't have enough violent or gory scenes. What the hell!? Maybe there isn't blood dripping off my television screen, but hey- these games are FUN! The classics contain one element current-generation games will never have: gameplay. They revolve around one simple element, may it be navigating a frog across a busy highway or blasting aliens with a fragile tank. Have these kids even given the classics a CHANCE? I think they're being biased. Or maybe I'm just one of a kind at my school.
    Tell them to chug bleach.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by aclbandit View Post
    Really glad to see someone as young as you really appreciate where games came from and where (IMHO) the best games are. Even if your friends disagree, enjoy what you enjoy, and know that there's a place on the internet where nearly everyone shares your love for retro games (that is... right here )

Also really glad to see that you can use proper grammar and spelling, etc. A lot of ADULTS on the internet can't even manage as much

Believe it or not, I'm 14 and I think Call of Duty is a bunch of bullshit. The sad part is is that I'm one of the small number of kids this generation who carries on the old things. I've been called a dumbass for saying I listen to casettes and for telling a seventh grader that he couldn't sell an NES with SMB/DH and Punch Out for $8000 just because someone sold one that had a SEALED COPY OF THE RAREST GAME FOR THE NES, and know what? I don't give a damn. They can continue their dumbass mistakes that screw their lives up in the long run, and I'll live a more sophisticated, fun one that'll leave me with a life to be proud of.

And I somehow spell better than most adults here. Weird.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Angry Fuck all those damn "kewl" loving, "zombiez" tween dumbasses, man.

Quote Originally Posted by aclbandit View Post
    Really glad to see someone as young as you really appreciate where games came from and where (IMHO) the best games are. Even if your friends disagree, enjoy what you enjoy, and know that there's a place on the internet where nearly everyone shares your love for retro games (that is... right here )

Also really glad to see that you can use proper grammar and spelling, etc. A lot of ADULTS on the internet can't even manage as much

Believe it or not, I'm 14 and I think Call of Duty is a bunch of bullshit. The sad part is is that I'm one of the small number of kids this generation who carries on the old things. I've been called a dumbass for saying I listen to casettes and for telling a seventh grader that he couldn't sell an NES with SMB/DH and Punch Out for $8000 just because someone sold one that had a SEALED COPY OF THE RAREST GAME FOR THE NES, and know what? I don't give a damn. They can continue their dumbass mistakes that screw their lives up in the long run, and I'll live a more sophisticated, fun one that'll leave me with a life to be proud of.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmus View Post
    generation who carries on the old things. I've been called a dumbass for saying I listen to casettes and for telling a seventh grader that he couldn't sell an NES

reminds me of

I just went out of my way and spent extra $$$ to fix the tapedeck in an 88 toyota. my DEVO/Testament/Run DMC tapes haven't worn out yet AND THEY DEMAND TO BE PLAYED.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lagartija_nick View Post
    Its easy to blame the youth for being ignorant.

Keep in mind people are automatically spoiled in most cases just from being born in a certain era.

Much the same way you probably do not like the music or tv shows of your parents era.
    Taste is subjective, not relative. :/

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhan View Post
    reminds me of

I just went out of my way and spent extra $$$ to fix the tapedeck in an 88 toyota. my DEVO/Testament/Run DMC tapes haven't worn out yet AND THEY DEMAND TO BE PLAYED.
    shoot, i am a musician and have been using a digital recorder for years, a few months back it was ruined in a freak accident. recently i have found myself recording again onto my old 4 track cassette deck, and it sounds great!

has anybody mentioned VHS tapes? remember those giant video cameras you had to put on your shoulder that had a full sized VHS tape inside of them?
    -- I was bradd on KLOV --

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What freaks me out are the lush songs that were recorded on reel to reel 4 tracks that had a ton of layering. Sometimes using three 4s in tandem to get 8 tracks before needing to mix down to the third unit. On Bohemian Rhapsody, they ping ponged hundreds of vocal takes... Amazing, considering every little step they could have effed it up and had to retake it all... I worked with 4 tracks, cassette and reel. Now I use my computers. I never want to go back.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 03-01-2010 at 01:57 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Im in the same boat as you although, as I am 19, soon to be 20, I have already travelled through the high school/teenager years appreciating the old things from days past and dealing with a lot of bullshit because of it. I have over a hundred cassettes, records, laserdiscs and a big collection of old videogames. Im glad to see younger people than I appreciating the past like this. Makes me not lose faith in the current generation of high-school goers.

I spend more time playing Super Nintendo than I do PlayStation 3. Period.
    DERP

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

You're smarter than most kids/teens, probably smarter than most adults too. Just keep it up and you'll go far, those dumb kids will probably become dumb adults. There's plenty of adults like that, trust me.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhan View Post
    Cassettes were around a lot longer than 1992, we kept buying them until they weren't carried in stores anymore. We didn't want to bother buying new CD players when we had lots of cassette players already. Cassettes were still around 10 years ago, though near death by that point.

Quote Originally Posted by bradd View Post
    has anybody mentioned VHS tapes? remember those giant video cameras you had to put on your shoulder that had a full sized VHS tape inside of them?
    That's what I had to use in high school for a project, that was only around 6-7 years ago.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Diatribal Deity View Post
    Taboo topics of conversation:

(1) Religion
    (2) Politics

And now...

(3) Taste in video games

Alright to discuss in general...never a good idea to criticize or try to convince.
    That's because all three of those involve talking about conclusions exclusively. You can't really convince anyone in or out of those things, especially and never if they reached their conclusions outside of a method. At least, until they do adopt one or agree to discuss it in the frame of a method. You can't criticize conclusions to effect change in others really, just the method/process that generated it. If there is no method (found often in religion/politics) then you are left fighting air. Until you can introduce a method, it's pointless. Comes down to one saying, "I like vanilla." and the other saying, "You can't possibly... Because I like chocolate!" and the first saying, "Chocolate? What a moran..."
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 03-01-2010 at 02:58 AM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by joshnickerson View Post
    Speaking as someone who grew up in the 8-bit era, it amuses me when I walk by the Wii kiosks at Wal-Mart and I see kids struggling to play New Super Mario Bros. Wii. They point the remote at the screen and shake it, seemingly only getting Mario to perform the spin jump. The first few times I saw this, I explained how they had to hold the controller sidesway, even demonstrated it to them, but as soon as I handed the controller back, they went back to pointing and shaking....

Ha! I could only think of the BTTF II quote: "You mean you have to use your hands? That's like a baby's toy."

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

This may not precisely pertain to classic video games- but it does involve them in a sense. I'd just like to blow off a little steam concerning my classmates up at my middle school...

They love to talk smack about the classic games (particularly NES and SNES) just to piss me off- they know I'm obsessed with 8-Bit Mario games in particular. They say those games are "stupid" (great vocabulary, kids!) because they don't have enough violent or gory scenes. What the hell!? Maybe there isn't blood dripping off my television screen, but hey- these games are FUN! The classics contain one element current-generation games will never have: gameplay. They revolve around one simple element, may it be navigating a frog across a busy highway or blasting aliens with a fragile tank. Have these kids even given the classics a CHANCE? I think they're being biased. Or maybe I'm just one of a kind at my school.
    Two problems plague kids of that age:
    1) They do not have fully developed brains. You can read about it here:
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...ows/teenbrain/

I'm not calling them dumb, I'm just saying that later on they will be able to have "deeper thoughts" about things such as the video game industry.

2) They want to be considered cool. They don't want to be associated with something that is kidlike (mario, nes, etc.) because it can be socially damaging to them. Ragging on those kinds of things is also driven by the need to be cool. Like the first reason, this need will go away over time (for the most part).

My advice it to have a thick skin and ignore them. However, if given the opportunity, allow some of them to experience some of the old games at your house. Talk to them individually about it. If they are in a group, it's going to be harder to reach them.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yesterday I played Super Mario World with my 12 yr old son for a fair while. We started a new file and completed all 96 goals later into the evening. Of course a break was required to watch canada win the Olymic gold in hockey. He has a SNES in his room, and plays a lot of it. As we played Mario, he says dad we should play E.V.O. we haven't played that for a while. He loves a lot of classic games, however I don't think many of his friends do. Sometimes I think a lot of kids have not had enough exposure to the older stuff so that has a lot to do with their level of appreciation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Flippy8490

I don't really care, but it is really...sad to say the least. A completely immature, biased, unappreciative generation of teenagers are becoming next generations gamers. If this becomes widespread behavior, gaming will see its end in the hands of them. Remember, they are the next round of people to work in the industry. It makes me sad.

The people that can appreciate all 7 current generations of games are the ones who are the real gamers. They like EVERYTHING. They see the value in an 8-bit NES title, a hyper HD xbox 360 new release and the blip-bloops of Atari.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

Quote Originally Posted by Flippy8490 View Post
    I don't really care, but it is really...sad to say the least. A completely immature, biased, unappreciative generation of teenagers are becoming next generations gamers. If this becomes widespread behavior, gaming will see its end in the hands of them. Remember, they are the next round of people to work in the industry. It makes me sad.

The people that can appreciate all 7 current generations of games are the ones who are the real gamers. They like EVERYTHING. They see the value in an 8-bit NES title, a hyper HD xbox 360 new release and the blip-bloops of Atari.
    true dat.

I can see the merit in Akalabeth for Apple ][. My friends think im batshit insane because of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Agreed. I just wish kids actually knew what a REAL game was- back before Xbox or Sony ever entered the market.
    Were you even born when this was the case? Xbox, okay granted you were maybe five at the time, but Sony has been around the fringes since well before there was a NES, and Microsoft about as long as the NES.

No disrespect, but you are a kid; I'm still borderline one really. We can't escape the age we're born into, but only try to make it better.

There's no blanket issue wrong with today's games; if anything, you're much better off that I was in the 90s because of the choices you have available, and I theoretically was better off than kids who only grew up with Atari, and whatever. Game development didn't stop with the classics; I also think that there was a directness and emphasis on some good design that isn't a part of many of today's highly visible movie games, but for the most part the old games aren't gone. There's still cartridges, there's MAME, and there's lots and lots of freeware games and cheap direct download titles that simply didn't exist before.

Props for focusing your attention on something a lot of people think is merely "history," but there's no need to slag off today's games, I don't think.

That's just my half a cent's worth.

-----

Also, folks would be well to remember that people (successful people) don't write prose like Edgar Allan Poe or poetry like Walt Whitman; blackface isn't welcome in the movies anymore, etc. Old games probably fare better than some other artistic mediums because of how simple and direct they are - they speak across the decades clearly (at least the great ones do), but the state of the art has had to change as well. It's just how things go. Even if there's nothing wrong or offensive about old games, it's just not with the state of the art, which is guided by fads and marketing.
    Last edited by Ed Oscuro; 03-01-2010 at 04:17 PM.