Ok, so here's the deal. I've recently picked up a couple of Super Famicom games during my trip to Japan; Ranma 1/2: Treasure of the Crimson Cat Gang, and Ranma 1/2: Super Battle.

Not wanting to tear apart my SNES to play them, I decide to pick up a Game Genie. Well, now here we get to interesting behavior. The game genie works great for playing Ranma 1/2: Treasure of the Red Cat Gang. HOWEVER, when I try to play Super Battle, I get nothing but a garbled or blank black screen, only twice having ever gotten it to the RumicSoft splash screen, only to see it garble and crash.

Figuring "Ok, so the cartridge contacts must be filthy", I pick up a jug o' alcomahol and some q-tips, and get to town. No luck. I try the pencil eraser trick with no luck either. Finally, I figure it MUST be the capacitor gone bad, and look up the price.

However, on one final whim, I pop the naked circuit board into the SNES, and lo and behold the damned thing works beautifully. I try the naked circuit board in the game genie, and all I get are garbles/black screen. Is this a known Game Genie problem? Or some sort of anti-piracy measure thinking my Game Genie is a copier?