Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Default MMMC - Bullfight

All right, this week, thanks to the random number generator...we have an extremely obscure game called Bullfight.

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=7231

I've only given this a quick play, but you have an 8 way joystick, a wave cape button, and a sword thrust button. You seem to get points for getting close to the bull with your cape, and if you can hit him with your sword just behind his head. That's all I've found so far.

If you need the ROM, head to drop.io/dpmameclub and download bullfgt.zip . If you want to play some of the other recent games, you can grab them there too.

Looks like an interesting game, good luck everybody.

Also, if you folks have more recommendations...let me know, we still have a lot on the list, but a lot of shooters and beat em ups...so some variety would be awesome.

Have fun with this one.
    Last edited by scooterb23; 04-23-2010 at 01:42 PM.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Maybe I should say this game is sealed...then someone might talk about it.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Gave it a go last night. It looked neat but I couldn't quite figure out how to work the cape button. More often than not I'd get gored or simply get the sword knocked from my hand...then get gored when I'd go get it. I did start to feel like I was getting the hang of it but it would be better if I actually knew the contols. I think my high score was 8600.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I downloaded it yesterday. I haven't played it yet but I plan on it tomorrow or the next day. I have no idea what the fuck the game is about at this point, but I'm sure it'll be an excellent surprise!
    Last edited by TheDomesticInstitution; 03-13-2010 at 06:29 AM.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just finished playing about 10 or so games, and only managed to get 11000 points. I was also able to make it to round 4. I don't think I was ever able to get points by waving my cape, but I found you got about 300 points for getting in a jab at the bull. It's possible to kill a bull in one or 2 hits, but you have to aim for the dot on their back. You get 3200 points for killing a bull. The downside to jabbing the bull multiple times without a kill, is that he gets faster and madder- making him tougher to kill.

Some other observations: One time I got knocked down by the bull a second matador came out and distracted the bull... I don't know if there was something I did special to unlock this little scene, because normally I'd get up after a few seconds. The matador then abruptly left the arena and I was able to get up. Also when fighting a bull sometimes a black and white bull would step into the bull pen, but was never released. Not sure what that was about either.

It's not a bad little game, and I like the music.
    Last edited by TheDomesticInstitution; 03-13-2010 at 07:45 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

meh...

I played it today for a good 20 minutes, but got bored quick. Considering the year (1984), it seems pretty weak compared to some of the arcade games that came out around that time (Galaga '84, Time Pilot '84, Return of the Jedi, Spy Hunter, etc). Granted it might not be fair to compare this game to certain classics, but it just seems light years behind other games of the same era and it doesn't seem that fun to play, IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I believe I wrote up something about this game for 2D Gaming . net's game of the week club. It was pretty basic, think I got around 8K for it, not sure. I'll give it another go sometime.