Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: understanding sealed collectors

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default understanding sealed collectors

Ok first up this is a serieus question .

What is the appeal of a sealed collecting? Games are ment to be played and enjoyed.
    So why would you have a hudge collection of sealed games? they are only collecting dust.
    I never understood this type of collecting.On top of that these games are going for big bucks.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mr obscure View Post
    Ok first up this is a serieus question .

What is the appeal of a sealed collecting? Games are ment to be played and enjoyed.
    So why would you have a hudge collection of sealed games? they are only collecting dust.
    I never understood this type of collecting.On top of that these games are going for big bucks.
    I agree with you for the most part(until everything started being CD BS, nomatter how careful you are, you will always end up with scratches on your CDs, if they are used. Buying sealed will ensures in stays in prestine condition).

However I would love a Factory sealed DW3(NES), It's my all time favorite game, but unfortunately it also happens to be one of the most sought after Sealed games(and one of the rarest as well, for the mere fact, that the game is so good, pretty much all of them were opened).

Due note though, just because someone has a factory sealed game, doesn't mean they don't also have another copy to play.

PS. I personally think It's really only worth collecting games(in general) that you love, which goes triple for sealed games(if you don't find the game to be good, unless It's like a proto-type or something, It's pointless to collect).
    Last edited by Zoltor; 03-10-2010 at 07:09 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zoltor View Post
    I agree with you for the most part(until everything started being CD BS, nomatter how careful you are, you will always end up with scratches on your CDs, if they are used. Buying sealed will ensures in stays in prestine condition).

However I would love a Factory sealed DW3(NES), It's my all time favorite game, but unfortunately it also happens to be one of the most sought after Sealed games(and one of the rarest as well, for the mere fact, that the game is so good, pretty much all of them were opened).

Due note though, just because someone has a factory sealed game, doesn't mean they don't also have another copy to play.

PS. I personally think It's really only worth collecting games(in general) that you love, which goes triple for sealed games(if you don't find the game to be good, unless It's like a proto-type or something, It's pointless to collect).
    Yea thats really the way I feel about it too. And of these people also have playable copies of the games they love.

I personally only collect sealed games that have meaning to me. Like Battletoads for NES, after beating it I bought a brand new copy of it on eBay and put it into one of those CGA cases so its sort of like a trophy to me. And a sealed copy of the Super Metroid Big box, just because its my altime favorite game. I dont have any other sealed games (except for Turtles in Time, but I'm selling that someday).

But theres people out there trying to collect as many sealed games as possible. If youre superduper rich that might be a fun hobby, but if youre not is it a good investment? Everything is being sold for rediculous prices nowadays so I highly doubt that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Personally I get CIBs of all the games that I want to play or have fond memories of. Then I get sealed copies of my real favorites.

I'd assume that most sealed collectors always have a "to play" copy backup of their favorites.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Are sealed toy collectors any different?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For anyone actually investing in video games, expecting to return a profit, a sealed video game is much more likely to appreciate, and appreciates more rapidly.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Oh god, a dutch topic and Zoltor is the first reply. This will not end well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

"no matter how careful you are, you will always end up with scratches on your CDs, if they are used."

That's the biggest piece of bullshit rationalization in the history of gaming. It's also the lamest excuse pirates use to burn CD games (along with 'preservation' and 'I only burn the ones I'd never buy anyway').

My entire collection sans NES and Neo Geo MVS is all CD based: Saturn, over 2000+ PSX games, Neo CD, Sega CD, etc. If you're not an animal, you're games go scratch free. I still have my original 15 to 20 year old CDs, they're all fine an dandy.

Back on topic -

I can understand a sealed game or two just to have it for nostalgic sake (I'd kill for a sealed Metal Gear NES), but there are those who do it for the sheer fact of artificially inflating the value of the item, attempting stupid profit from those who can not resist the nostalgia, or have no other way to boost their self esteem.

That will ruin it the industry and crash the gaming world. Just like baseball cards, comics, and collectible card games.

A sealed game or two on the shelf for conversation is fine. Slabbing an entire library and than bagging the slab to protect that is sheer lunacy.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Why do you like Apple Jacks when it doesn't taste like apples?

Same kind of thing.

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I don't have a single sealed game, but I can understand the appeal. It's something fun that hasn't been unleashed. It's sort of like having and ultrasound picture printed before the actual baby comes out.

For those who think of it as an investment, I'd have to say it's a risky investment. Remember all the Beanie Baby collecters who kept the tags on? Also, with the advent of downloadable games, who's to say the values will continue as they are now.

As for me, for the money I would have to pay for an unopened item, I'd rather purchase several used items. The game itself (on the screen) is what is valuable to me.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

This topic has been done to death. It's like collecting anything else in new condition, whether it's stamps you'll never use, coins you'll never spend, toys you'll never play with, records you'll never listen to, baseball cards you'll never put in the spokes of your bike and comics you'll never read. Who cares? Lots of sealed collectors own plenty of play copies of games as well. We have had this same topic come up over and over and over again. If you don't want to collect a certain thing, you don't have to. There is nothing to understand. Some people just like collecting brand new games. For me, I like the idea that nobody else has ever played with the items and that there is at least a very good chance that if I do ever open the game, it is complete and new.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by FantasiaWHT View Post
    For anyone actually investing in video games, expecting to return a profit, a sealed video game is much more likely to appreciate, and appreciates more rapidly.
    This strikes me as most unlikely.

I rather suspect the only ways to turn profits in video games is to either hunt down games that have been priced by people uninformed of their true value, or to buy large lots and sell them off in parts (which amounts to the same thing). Buying an expensive sealed game and expecting it to get more expensive? I think not.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    This topic has been done to death...
    Agreed, someone lock the thread

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerboy View Post
    "no matter how careful you are, you will always end up with scratches on your CDs, if they are used."

That's the biggest piece of bullshit rationalization in the history of gaming. It's also the lamest excuse pirates use to burn CD games (along with 'preservation' and 'I only burn the ones I'd never buy anyway').

My entire collection sans NES and Neo Geo MVS is all CD based: Saturn, over 2000+ PSX games, Neo CD, Sega CD, etc. If you're not an animal, you're games go scratch free. I still have my original 15 to 20 year old CDs, they're all fine an dandy.

Back on topic -

I can understand a sealed game or two just to have it for nostalgic sake (I'd kill for a sealed Metal Gear NES), but there are those who do it for the sheer fact of artificially inflating the value of the item, attempting stupid profit from those who can not resist the nostalgia, or have no other way to boost their self esteem.

That will ruin it the industry and crash the gaming world. Just like baseball cards, comics, and collectible card games.

A sealed game or two on the shelf for conversation is fine. Slabbing an entire library and than bagging the slab to protect that is sheer lunacy.
    And you're a fucking moron or did you forget that the actual console can scratch the CD, not to mention even a partical of dust can scratch a CD. If you barely handle a CD, It's still "very" likely that it will still end up with light scratches.

Consoles are infamous for scratching CDs(I had to replace games dozens of times, due to that crap).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And you're a fucking moron or did you forget that the actual console can scratch the CD, not to mention even a partical of dust can scratch a CD. If you barely handle a CD, It's still "very" likely that it will still end up with light scratches.

Consoles are infamous for scratching CDs(I had to replace games dozens of times, due to that crap).
    Wowza McTrowza! This thread turned ugly quickly. Do I smell a troll?

Seriously though, baseball cards lost all value because companies started printing three or four sets a year, and started printing hundreds of thousands of each card.
    Condoleezza Rice is nice, but I prefer A Roni!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    arthurotaku

Open high valuable sealed games are a stupidity, they loose the high value, and for what? You can easily found another loose copy or backup of same game and play it, so why you will open a rare sealed game just to play?

Serious collectors really care about the collection value, if you are not a serious collection you will never understand that

XBL: ArthurOtaku
    PSN: Arthur-Otaku

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have gathered a few sealed games, simply because they were a favorite of mine and I couldn't find it some other way. Sometimes, I will open it. It's fun to do so, like opening a time capsule into another decade past. I have never gone after a sealed game in particular, but if I find a game I really want for a nice price, I'll get it, sealed or not.
    PC Game Collector - DOS and beyond

Lazy Game Reviews

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

Zoltor: What console scratches your discs? If you keep the bay area clean and aren't slapping the thing around while its going, you aren't going to scratch your disc.

Its not like the CD is contacting anything other than a Laz0r beem.

besides, those light surface scratches that might happen from dust/etc. are meaningless.

Buff that shit out with novus. That top layer is MEANT to get oopsy little knicks. It protects the actual data. You'd be surprised how well a laz0r b33m can read past little surface knicks.

--------------------------------

collecting sealed games is mind numbing. The only sealed game I own is Cosmic Fantasy 2. Pretty much everyone has a sealed copy of that game. There are more sealed CF2s in circulation than there are PCE CD owners on the planet. Thats why they go for 5$ sealed and anyone trying to profiteer off them is an idiot.

I often find the case is that the "sealed collectors" spend so much time fapping over sealed purchases, and maintaining their site/online database of sealed crap, followed by flailing around on the internet about it like people care, that they don't even PLAY games, and usually have no idea what theyre talking about.

I bought a sealed star ocean 2 at a convention (someone borrowed my original copy and wrecked the piss out of it. the manual had soup spilled on it and the discs looked like they were used as coasters for a month), for 60$ and proceeded to rip it open right in front of the guy and sniff the manual. He flipped his shit and screamed at me saying I just ruined the value of the game. "I could have sold it to someone who knew what it was worth". He says.

I says to him "the value of the game comes from having rena punch things in the face, and the cooking contest".

He went O.o and had NFI what I was going on about. Case in point.
    ---------------------------------

Sealed game nonsense is the exact reason I opted to not have Insanity shrinkwrapped.

That way no putz 10 years from now can go OMG LAST SEALED COPY IN EXISTENCE and put it on ebay for 1000$. If anyone ever sees a sealed Insanity for PCE CD, you're being duped.
    Aetherbyte: PC-Engine and more homebrew

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by houstonlibrarian View Post
    Are sealed toy collectors any different?
    This.

People collect anything. Why botter how other people spend their money.

Lol.
    Really, learn to accept the differences.

My disks are intact too. Also, all my N64 controllers are in excelent condition lol. People just treat the things different than others.
    The world is big, man. Just because you can't do something/never experienced something don't mean it doen't exist.