Thread: My new arcade game- Spiders

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Default My new arcade game- Spiders

Got this off of Craigslist today, love the game, it is a bit obscure, but still fun. It needs a new marquee light, but other than that, it's fine.

Hopefully this is the first of many.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Wow, that is an obscure one. I looked it up on KLOV.com, and I don't recall ever seeing that one in action before. How does it play? Is it a 'slide and shoot' with a weird theme?

I don't know about you, but spiders creep me the hell out, so if I were in your position I'd buy a couple more arcade games to put on either side of it to cover up the gigantic tarantula side art. At least that'd be the excuse I'd use when I was buying a couple more arcade cabs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Yep, it's a slide and shoot game, I would describe it as a mix of Galaga and Missile Command.

The side art is actually pretty cool, and the demo mode of the game shows a massive purple spider engulfing the entire screen. Every three levels, a portrait of what the manual calls the "Space Mona Lisa" appears during intermission.

This cab is pretty clean on the inside, I would have thought it pretty fitting yet gross to find spiders in a Spiders cabinet.
    Last edited by Tupin; 03-16-2010 at 10:51 PM.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Never heard of it either. I wish I had the room for more games, because if I found something obscure like this I'd be more likely to give it a home. A cap kit in order, or any other preventative maintenance, or is the light all you'll be doing?

Anyway cool find.

And I may as well link it while I have the page up. Here is the KLOV entry SteveW mentioned for all the lazy people.

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=9718

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I know I've played this in mame before. Reminded me a lot of Centipede. Congrats on the find.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheDomesticInstitution View Post
    Never heard of it either. I wish I had the room for more games, because if I found something obscure like this I'd be more likely to give it a home. A cap kit in order, or any other preventative maintenance, or is the light all you'll be doing?

Anyway cool find.

And I may as well link it while I have the page up. Here is the KLOV entry SteveW mentioned for all the lazy people.

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=9718
    Fixed the light just now, nothing left to do but play it.