Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resonance of Fate / End of Eternity

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Resonance of Fate / End of Eternity

Resonance of Fate is out now, but I'm still taking my time with FFXIII. As soon as I finish it, I'll be off to pick up my preorder, but I told GameStop it might be a few weeks. What were they thinking, releasing so close to FFXIII? Originally, they were supposed to be the same day!

Has anyone picked it up yet? I'm interested to hear how it feels. Is the story as interesting as the visuals?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Letiumtide's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Letiumtide

While it won't make a difference because they'll have copies around anyway, but why bother telling GS that you'll be a few weeks in getting it. They only hold preorders for 48 hours. Unless of course you happen to be buddy buddy with somebody there.

Anyway, I'm still on the fence for this game and will be waiting for reviews to trickle for tidbits of information. It looks interesting, but I'm not really sure what to think of it. That and yeah, I am also still working my way trough FFXIII.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

This is another game I'm getting this year. As soon as it hits 19.99. Releasing an RPG next FF13 I'm sure it'll be lost and drop soon. FF13 will have such a big sales release and then drop quick because no one buys it after(FF12 was 19.99 in less than a year I think. CE btw.)
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Tried to find the game when it released yesterday, but noone in the area has it (ontario). They say they've had some shipping problems with it, and it hadn't arrived (for ps3).

Hopefully it'll come in soon. I think it should be a good one. I probably won't play it until I finish FF13, but I want to pick this one up, as it looks like it will probably be pretty rare given its being released around the same time as two other major games (FF13 and GOW3).

Hope to have it soon!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Letiumtide

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    This is another game I'm getting this year. As soon as it hits 19.99. Releasing an RPG next FF13 I'm sure it'll be lost and drop soon. FF13 will have such a big sales release and then drop quick because no one buys it after(FF12 was 19.99 in less than a year I think. CE btw.)
    Yeah, I was working at EB and watched as FFXII crashed and burned in prices, especially the CE, which was horridly over produced. Which I suppose is why we didn't get one this time, because SE made too many last time. It's hard to say what the factor was, many people claim it's because there were so many modded or swap magic'd PS2's at the time that it had a high piracy rate. Considering it's timing and how accessible such things are, I honestly wouldn't doubt it. Such a problem doesn't exist with the PS3 version of FFXIII, the 360 version however is already highly pirated.

The only reason why I picked up XIII so early was because I had WKC that I wanted to get rid of quickly and got decent trade in value for it (considering I got more than what I paid for it anyway). Otherwise I would have waited for a price dip or for it to show up at the pawnshop I work it, which would have been a month, tops.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I talk to the guys in GameStop a lot, they're pretty friendly. They were talking about how their preorders were pushing them up in store ranking, then everyone cancelled everyting. I just wanted to make sure that I could hold a bit before dropping the cash, because other GameStops have been rather rude to me when talking about preordering and not buying on day one.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Damn, this is out already? I was really excited about this game. Too much good stuff coming out these days...

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I should be all over this given my love for tri-Ace, but considering I haven't even played Star Ocean 4 yet, I probably won't pick this up until I'm caught up. I also know next to nothing about the game other than what was revealed in the very first announcement of it, but I know that some of the importers have been saying great things about it. Here's to hoping it's better than a lot of tri-Ace's recent games that haven't wowed me as much as I would like (VP2, VP: CotP, IU).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

So not too many people picked this up then, eh? It seems really cool. Towns in 2.5d? Hex-map overworld? And rpg with guns and a post-apocalyptic setting? Sign me up!

They picked a terrible release date for this, though. I'm sure a lot of the people who would be interested in this game are probably currently preoccupied with ffxiii
    Last edited by Graham Mitchell; 03-18-2010 at 03:24 PM. Reason: spelling error

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

So town navigation is basically like in Valkyrie Profile 2?

Personally I'm way more interested in this than FFXIII. Really couldn't care less about the latter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    So town navigation is basically like in Valkyrie Profile 2?

Personally I'm way more interested in this than FFXIII. Really couldn't care less about the latter.
    Unfortunately I've never played vp2 (or any tri-ace game for that matter!) So I can't compare.

And I'm actually kicking myself for buying ffxiii last week because I didn't know rof was about to come out. I was just bored and hoping that, since ffxiii was reviewing well and has been touted as bringing some major technical changes to the series that it might be pretty cool. Its alright, but I actually think this has the potential to be a much better game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Letiumtide

After playing the Japanese Demo last night, I'm really not sold on the battle system, I hope that the game isn't so "square area, to next square area" as it appears to be in the demo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    Unfortunately I've never played vp2 (or any tri-ace game for that matter!) So I can't compare.
    Star Ocean First Departure and Star Ocean Second Story(Second Evolution after are the best tri-Ace games. You should definitely pick those up.

Since Second Story isn't too much anymore so I'd say get that over Second Evolution due to the triple attack being added into SE. Though other than the triple attacks for the characters, SE is the better game. The entire storyline(except one small part which is kind of weird) is fully voiced as well as almost all the PAs. You also have the FMVs in the game which are nice and a secret character.

Then the other tri-Ace games. Radiata Stories is pretty good though feels somewhat limited. I didn't like Star Ocean 3 much, but I quit fairly early in the game after getting Nel as it didn't interest me too much(I'll give it another chance sometime later.) The Valkyrie Profile games are unique, and even though you time your attacks, they feel more like button mashers than anything and they get pretty repetitive, though the dungeons and platforming aspect is nice.

Usually tri-Ace games are above average, so I'd just say go buy all the ones you don't own if you like RPGs and have the money.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't for the life of me make a decision on which console to get this game for.

I've seen some comparisons screenshots (http://d.hatena.ne.jp/yoda-dip-jp/20100202), but yeah, still undecided.

Anyone got it yet? Does it have japanese voices?

Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

So I'm bumping this because I bought this game used yesterday, and it's awesome. And yes, it does have a Japanese voice option with English subtitling.

The structure of the game is very unique. It visually looks like a JRPG, but has a Fallout-style progression system where you take on missions for cash or rewards. Some missions will advance the story, others are optional. The battle system is wholly unique. I've never seen anything really like this before. It's difficult to explain and takes a bit of getting used to, but once you do it's really pretty fun. And it's WAY more interactive and involving than the battle system in FFXIII. I really think the coolest aspect of the game is the hex-based overworld system. The sytem of collecting puzzle pieces to unlock new areas to traverse is pretty cool.

This is my first Tri-Ace game and if this isn't their most highly-regarded game then I definitely want try some of their others because I'm very impressed. It's at least as enjoyable as FFXIII. My opinion may change as I progress further through the game, of course, but for now I'm loving it.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've still got my preorder at GameStop. Might pick this one up when I get Portal 2...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    I've still got my preorder at GameStop. Might pick this one up when I get Portal 2...
    After finally playing this, my opinion on it is that it's even worse than FF13. I'd cancel your preorder or move it over to something else if I were you. Resonance of Fate is garbage.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think they'd be happy with me if I moved my preorder AGAIN. I already moved it from FFXIII to RoF a year ago, and I think it had been moved once or twice already before.

If they have a cheap copy when I'm there, I'll finally pay for it. If not, it gets moved to Deus Ex.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    After finally playing this, my opinion on it is that it's even worse than FF13. I'd cancel your preorder or move it over to something else if I were you. Resonance of Fate is garbage.
    What didn't you like about it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

For what I've played, the quests available, including story quests, were nothing more than fetch quests. The storyline itself was boring but a games gameplay can save a poor storyline. Unfortunately, the gameplay to Resonance of Fate isn't even decent.

The thing about the gameplay is that it's the same from the start to finish other than equipping elemental rounds, etc. The gameplay does not advance one bit. So by the time you play through 10 battles, the game is already starting to get boring. Throughout the entire game you have your standard stand there and attack, run across the battlefield and attack, knock the enemy up or knock them down for bonus damage. You can also do the trinity attack by having your characters run between each other character to gain enough points and then activating it to have all three characters go at the same time shooting the enemy. That's it. Though running across the screen and doing knock up and knock down attacks are the most damaging. It gets boring very very quickly.

That's it. The games gameplay does not advance any further. You can customize your weapons to have different attributes/elements but you're not doing anything with the gameplay itself there. In battle you're still doing the same repetitive actions repeatedly. It's the least fun I've had with an RPG in a long time and possibly the least fun I've ever had with an RPG period.