Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What if you had to start all over?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What if you had to start all over?

What would you do if you had to start collecting games all over again, starting with nothing? What would you do different?

I've been thinking about this, and probably the main thing I'd do different is go for a US only collection for Nintendo NES, SNES and Genesis, instead of the (mainly) European collection I have now. Only a few years ago I found out that all the European versions are downgraded versions of the US ones and I already had quite a large collection at that time. A lot of European versions of the games in my collection were A LOT more expensive/rare too, so I ended up paying much more as well for these "imperfect" versions most of the time...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

I'd probably avoid some of the more obscure systems that I never get around to playing with. I'd also concentrate on just one system for 'collecting' (say the Atari 8-bit) and try and go with multi-carts for the rest.

Tempest
    --- www.AtariProtos.com ---
    All Your Prototypes Are Belong To Us!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
    I'd probably avoid some of the more obscure systems that I never get around to playing with. I'd also concentrate on just one system for 'collecting' (say the Atari 8-bit) and try and go with multi-carts for the rest.

Tempest
    Yea, good point there. I actually already sold most of my obscure stuff for the same reason and of course I wouldnt buy it again if I started over collecting...

Pretzel (Level 4) Orion Pimpdaddy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Occasionally, I have bought a game that didn't quite live up to expectations, but I have no real regrets so far. I only buy the games that are considered "good," or ones that I fond memories of. I do have some Europeon games, but they are ones that weren't released in the US.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

I personally would not start all over again. It will end right then and there.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I would say "No"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

Thumbs down

I had to start over once; rebuilding a significant portion of my collection (all my newer consoles, all of my handhelds and dozens of games) following a burglary in 2006.

Homeowner's insurance was able pay the replacement costs on pretty much everything initially lost. Through both Ebay and local shops I was able to restore to 98% of what was taken within a couple of months time. But here's what I took away from that experience: It was nowhere near as satisfying getting all of that stuff en masse, a second time, as it was slowly building it over the course of the previous 12 years. There was none of the thrift store serendipity, or CGE revelry, or joy of discovering something new for the first time. It was nothing but soulless, systematic running through checklists, signing for packages delivered by UPS, and spending money that technically wasn't even my own. So while I "owned" it all again in a physical sense at the end of a couple months, the experience of getting it all the first time, I learned, was one that could never be replicated.

If it all goes away again, due to theft or some sort of other disaster, then I'm done. I'll content myself with emulation and that will be the end of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by baraka View Post
    Only a few years ago I found out that all the European versions are downgraded versions of the US ones
    o rly? For example?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If I had to start all over again, I'd just quit. Instantly.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Instead of starting over because I wouldn't ever sell anything I have now. If I went back in time and did something different.

I would pick all those Suikoden 2 games up when I saw them being clearanced out for $20 back at Walmart when I was there with my cousin. I own a copy, but all of them would be 100+, and if still sealed far more. I'd then go to every other store and make sure to buy them all out. Even though Suikoden 2 isn't the most rare or even the most expensive, and my collection would consist of 100+ Suikoden 2 games for the PSX, my PSX collection would be better tahn someone elses collection of different games :P.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Even though Suikoden 2 isn't the most rare or even the most expensive, and my collection would consist of 100+ Suikoden 2 games for the PSX, my PSX collection would be better tahn someone elses collection of different games :P.
    Because clearly monetary value is the only standard on which a collection can be judged, amirite?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    o rly? For example?
    I mean the original NTSC versions of these games always run on 60 Hz and the PAL versions get "downgraded" to 50 Hz, hence making them 1/6th slower both gameplay and music wise. All the games I played as a kid were actually played in slow motion...

And kupomogli, going back in time doesnt count lol. I'd stack up so many rare sealed games its not even funny.

I guess if I ever get robbed I'll either just buy a few of my favorite games and if I would redo my whole collection it would be pure NTSC collecting...

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Because clearly monetary value is the only standard on which a collection can be judged, amirite?
    And the fact that it's multiple copies of a good game sealed. Some people collect multiple copies of the same game. I'm not sure, but doesn't The 1 2 P collect copies of Syphon Filter 3? Or am I thinking of someone else.

Or what about those people who own every variation of Lunar, Alundra, etc?
    Last edited by kupomogli; 03-19-2010 at 12:08 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Or what about those people who own every variation of Lunar, Alundra, etc?
    At least those are variations, not multiple copies of EXACTLY the same thing

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Starting over?

I'd go emulation for anything cartridge based, save for N64. That I wouldn't bother with again. Ditto for original Xbox and Gamecube.

I'd focus on building up my Saturn, DC, and PS2 collections; especially imports. Wii and 360 would be easy to do as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

I would definitely focus all my attention on one particular system to collect for. Owning as many systems as I do (over 12) becomes difficult when it comes to storage. When I was living with my parents and actively collecting with my Dad growing up, it wasn't a problem, but on my own now living in an apartment... space really IS an issue.

I think I would want to collect for a system like Neo Geo CD that I never really got around to collecting before.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd give it up. It's more of an addiction than a hobby for me now, and even though I still really love to play games, I think I'd go cold turkey, at least initially. Maybe after a few years pick up an NES and Genesis and buy a handful of titles I cherished the most growing up.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I probably wouldn't collect anything. That goes for comic books and action figures which is what I started with. In retrospect, collecting and/or buying video games is a big waste of money when I think of all the other things I could have done with it.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Hasn't this happened before... it's deja vu all over again.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Would I start over? Hmm....I think I'd have to say "no" in regards to the actual games and systems. Like Pan said, part of the thrill of collecting is actually finding the stuff. Just buying a Tengen Tetris off eBay is not going to give me the same collector's high as when I found the one I've got at Goodwill for $2. I'd turn to emulators to get my classic gaming fix.

My magazines-that's a different story. I had previously lost my then meager collection due to stupidity-to save room I stored them in my shed where they got water damage. I tossed them because they weren't "pristine" anymore but when I came to my senses that it's the contents that were more important than the crispness of the pages, it had rained and destroyed the mags. Since then I've rebuilt most of my collection and then some, which I read through more often than I play my games at times. If for whatever reason I lose those mags, I would say that I would replace them. They are not as easily acquired as games.