Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What if you had to start all over?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by josekortez View Post
    I probably wouldn't collect anything. That goes for comic books and action figures which is what I started with. In retrospect, collecting and/or buying video games is a big waste of money when I think of all the other things I could have done with it.
    Hmm yea well I always tend to give other things priority for that reason but I still buy a lot of games... Not as much as before though.

Skaar, what do you mean? Is there another topic like this or what?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

There's been a few "what if you started over/time machine/house burned down" threads I've seen, baraka.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    There's been a few "what if you started over/time machine/house burned down" threads I've seen, baraka.
    my apologies, didnt know

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Like I've also stated in other house burning down/stolen threads, I wouldn't be able to fully mentally take it, have a break down, and just go with emulation, and possibly a wii.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    And the fact that it's multiple copies of a good game sealed. Some people collect multiple copies of the same game. I'm not sure, but doesn't The 1 2 P collect copies of Syphon Filter 3? Or am I thinking of someone else.
    I have no idea, but it does not strike me as typical behavior.
    Or what about those people who own every variation of Lunar, Alundra, etc?
    They generally don't collect 100+ copies, no. And even if they did, I doubt they would start saying their collections were "better".
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

My interest in collecting has collapsed considerably in the last few months anyways so I would start over. I would just emulator and play the new systems.
    DERP

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Do I have any knowledge that I had the collection I once did? Wipe my memory kind of deal.

If I didn't, I'd probably start all over again with NES.

If I did, I'd take the insurance/sale money and any future money I'd normally spend on games and tuck it away from a 2 week Hawaii vacation every year. I would not be able to deal with starting from scratch. I would be able to deal with my fat ass on a beach chair for 300 hours straight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

My answer is in in the thread about this from two months ago,

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140096

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
    My answer is in in the thread about this from two months ago,

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140096
    This topic is not about burned down houses and then having to start over though. Its more so about regrets, like the one I posted about my collection. Things you would have done different, and not in the time machine kind of way, thats different too. Just regrets about the way you've collected basically.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I thought it was about what you would do with this hobby if you had to start all over again, such as by losing your collection to a fire.

Quote Originally Posted by baraka View Post
    What would you do if you had to start collecting games all over again, starting with nothing? What would you do different?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Myself I have already done this. When I was a teenager I decided to sell my games, get a laptop and go with emulation. When I got my first real job and had the extra money to spend, I bought all that stuff back and more. But then I went overboard and bought too many games I didn't even care about. so now I'm picking weeds and selling them in my financial hardship. I also am running out of space in my small room as I had to move in with my grandpa again.

So yes I started over once and I would do so again if I had to for whatever reason. As long as I had the money and space to do so. I just think I would definitely take it in another direction - start with a multicart for each system that has one, then buy top-notch games one by one and leave the mediocre in the wild.

I even like collecting the deemed un-collectible repros because being able to lay out a full game series in cartridge form is so satisfying to see, especially in a numbered series like Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Well, I have been thinking of selling my collection lately. (In fact, I was just about to go upstairs and go through some things to sell) So If I didn't have any old games I'd probably only collect what I'd play.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
    I thought it was about what you would do with this hobby if you had to start all over again, such as by losing your collection to a fire.
    Ok you're right, I didnt pick the best words to describe what I meant. And it seems everyone interpreted it the way you did so I'm sure of that. Also, the fact I'm Dutch means my english isnt as perfect as yours so that partially causes mistakes like this...

Anyway it's still interesting to see so many people wouldnt bother to recollect anything at all or just a few favorites if their house burned down (including myself btw). My guess is that a lot of people start off collecting in a joyful way and that it later becomes compulsive.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've had to sell of my collection a couple of times in the past due to financial hardships. Those times, tho, I wasn't as "serious" about collecting as I am now (it was ALL about playing games, I had a lot more time to actually enjoy the games I bought since I bought so few of them and had so few systems as well). Even so, I can see selling off my collection in a heartbeat if I need to provide for my family or something. I doubt I'd do anything different than what I did last time: pick up game + system lots from Craigslist and sell off what I don't need/want, use the extra cash to buy stuff I'm not going to find on CL (or won't find the condition I want it in), and just keep building things back up. I'd probably not mess around w/ keeping cart only games for as long as I have, knowing that I really want all that stuff boxed, but otherwise I wouldn't really do anything differently.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by DefaultGen; 03-12-2023 at 05:51 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    I personally would not start all over again. It will end right then and there.
    Ditto. This hobby is too time and money consuming. If I get out I'm out for good.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMan View Post
    I would definitely focus all my attention on one particular system to collect for. Owning as many systems as I do (over 12) becomes difficult when it comes to storage. When I was living with my parents and actively collecting with my Dad growing up, it wasn't a problem, but on my own now living in an apartment... space really IS an issue.

I think I would want to collect for a system like Neo Geo CD that I never really got around to collecting before.
    QFE

I still am addicted to buying the LE or CE edition of a game whenever I can (which is seriously the reason why I do not own Street Fighter 4 or Soul Calibur 4 yet since I am waiting for the price to hit rock bottom before getting them).

I agree that I would focus more on one single system and then bramch outward if I end up with a fullset.

I would also stay away from as many obscure systems as possible unless I really wanted to play them.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd cry.

And then buy a Mega Drive, and copies of Sonic 2, Streets Of Rage 2, Quackshot, Castle Of Illusion, Alisia Dragoon and Thunderforce 4.

Next a PS2 with Space Channel 5 Part 2 and Jak & Daxter, and a Gamecube with Mario Sunshine, Chibi Robo and Sonic Adventure DX.

And then start slowly building my collection back up again. And possibly spend my evenings sobbing into a bottle of whisky.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Stay with the PSX and adopt ignorance of any console before or after it. OR do the same with the original Xbox. I've often wondered what it would be like to live with one console. Just might be bliss, lol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I kind of jumped from system to system when I was a kid (born in 1975, so starting basically with the Atari VCS era). My parents didn't afford me enough to get multiple systems, so I did ALOT of trading. Because of this, I was never able to get to that point in which I had a really large collection. I'd maybe get to a dozen or so games before getting bored and swapping for something else. If I had to do it again I would certainly stick with one good system and ride it out. Maybe the Atari 400/800 series as Tempest said earlier.