Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I want to get a 3DO, a reliable one.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My first FZ-1 had a jammed tray because it got bumped in shipping or something. I opened it up (regular screws, no crazy gamebits needed) and snapped the tray assembly back into place. No problems. I've never heard of worn out gears or anything.
    [SIZE="4"][URL="http://www.retroreviewproject.com"]The Retro Review Project[/URL][/SIZE]

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had a gear worn out on an fz-1. I also had a laser lens break on an fz-1.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have an FZ-1 Testing Station that I got for about 30 dollars considering what I paid for the item I traded for it. Overall I will say I am extremely happy with it and it doesn't really seem like it was built all that weakly. I was shocked at how well it worked when comparing it to some of my other tray based drives, especially my Sega CD, that thing grinds whenever I start it but it still works lol. I will say Doom on the 3DO is horrible. It makes the 32x version shine. I do like Wolf 3d on the 3do though.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Alright, I ended up getting the FZ-10, the FZ-1 they had was NFS because the laser would not read. The FZ-10 works perfectly fine. It came with Doom AND Gex. Let me tell you something, Doom on it was actually decent (I played to level 10). The game was playable in my opinion, I sized the screen down two levels, but was fine for me.

Gex was also decent, I played it for a good hour and a half.

So I have a question for you guys, how easy is it to fix/replace a laser in an FZ-1. Granted I can talk them into selling the unit cheaply, I may take a stab at it. The guy told me he tried blowing it out with an air compressor a while ago, which I would NEVER do.

Thanks.
    "The expenses of the government reach EVERYBODY"
    -Calvin Coolidge (30th President of the U.S.A.)

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Arrow Ummm... No, it is NOT. The CD drive is mechanical

I've never had a problem with my FZ-1 model 3DO, and I used that thing for years. The loading tray is mechanical, but honestly, I'd expect the disc drive to die before the tray on that machine. I'm not saying that the drive is faulty, but rather the tray breaking isn't a practical concern considering the drive has moving parts too, and works 100 times more than the tray mechanism does. I also thought that all of the 3DO models had S-video output with standard cables, but it may have been mistaken. I know that my FZ-1 and Goldstar models do.

The FZ-1 and Goldstar models look very similar, though I prefer the FZ-1's asteroid themed attract mode/screen saver better. I also prefer the front loading trays to top loaders because the systems are narrower and they require less overhead room to access in the entertainment cabinet I built to store my active consoles in.

As for all of the Doom hate, I'm really not getting it. Granted, I haven't played Doom on the 3DO in some years, but it was always my favorite version. I liked it better than the 32X version, which I also own. I don't recall why I liked it better anymore; it could have been the audio, or maybe something was different about the HUD. In any event, I always enjoyed the 3DO version best.

With that said, the 3DO is home to a lot of terrible games, there's no denying it. But there are a handful of games that make the system worth owning, IMO. Some of my favorite 3DO games are:

• Advanced Dungeons and Dragon's: Slayer
    • Alone in the Dark
    • Brain Dead 13
    • Bust-A-Move
    • Doom
    • Dragon's Lair
    • Dragon Lore
    • Gex
    • Hell: A Cyberpunk Thriller
    • Horde, The
    • Icebreaker
    • Incredible Machine, The
    • Lemmings
    • Myst
    • Return Fire
    • Return Fire: Maps O' Death (expansion pack)
    • Shanghai: Triple-Threat
    • Soccer Kid
    • Space Ace
    • Star Control II
    • Star Fighter
    • Super Street Fighter II Turbo
    • Trip'D and
    • Wolfenstien 3D

I used to enjoy Twisted: The Game Show, and to a lesser extent Zhadnost: The People's Party, back in the day, but I can't really recommend them when there are so many better party games on the market for other systems.

Trip'D is an awesome (and often over looked) puzzle game. It doesn't offer much in single player, but it's great for competitive play. It's actually one of my wife's all time favorite games -- she doesn't play many video games, but she's played that game to death. It's one of the few games that she can compete with me in, so she really enjoys it.

Dragons' Lair and Space Ace of course are classic animated FMV games. You've probably played them on several other systems, but the 3DO version are some of the best. Brain Dead 13 on the 3DO is also vastly superior to the SEGA Saturn version. It comes on 2 discs so the video isn't compressed and grainy like the Saturn's single disc version is. I've never played the PSX or Jaguar CD versions though, so I don't know how they measure up. Most of the other multi-platform 3DO titles are probably better played on other systems. It's not that the 3DO versions are inferior, but the 3DO's on-board memory is both limited and difficult to access, so unless you're collecting for the sake of owning, just go with the PSX or Saturn version for ease of use.

I own Space Hulk: Vengeance of the Blood Angels for 3DO but I've never actually played it, so I don't know if it's as good as people seem to think, but it seems like a safe bet. But as I mentioned before, I'd probably just opt for the PSX version of the game and focus on the 3DO exclusives.

Good luck with your selections, and happy collecting!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So while we're on the topic, how bad is the Goldstar 3DO? Someone has been selling one in my area for 2 years, so I figure he may be open to a deal. I'd rather not get a unit that's going to fail on me. Plus the 3DO isn't really on my must have list, so I'm willing to wait for a good deal on a better model.
    I have a sig?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dib
    So while we're on the topic, how bad is the Goldstar 3DO? Someone has been selling one in my area for 2 years, so I figure he may be open to a deal. I'd rather not get a unit that's going to fail on me. Plus the 3DO isn't really on my must have list, so I'm willing to wait for a good deal on a better model.
    The only issues that I'm aware of with the Goldstar 3DO are some early 3DO games crash on them. I read on Classic Gaming a while back that The Horde, PO'd and Cyberia lock up. There are also a few obscure glitches that you'll likely never run into which as associated with certain systems. For example, IIRC, there was a code that allowed you to play a version of Space War on the game War of the Warrior, but it didn't work on all 3DO models.

Typically, the first run of a console has the least problems running software, though long term reliability is usually a concern (NES's with bad connectors, fubar PSX's that you had to run upside down, Thompson drive XBOX's, RRoD 360s, etc.). I don't think early run models of the 3DO system suffer hardware failure like a lot of other consoles though. Overall, unless you're hardcore and/or anal, you'll probably be fine with which ever version you get, but if you're skeptical or paranoid hold out for a R.E.A.L. FZ-1, or FZ-10 unit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got a GoldStar 3DO and whilst you can tell the build quality is not fantastic (the CD tray slides out of the console by itself if you tip it forward), it's never missed a beat and has worked perfectly for the 2+ years I've had it (plus however many years it was played by it's previous owner).

GoldStars are much more common down here than Panasonics, possibly because they were more widely distributed in South-East Asia.

That said, the FZ-10 just seems like a more sensible choice, since it's already going to be better by being a Panasonic AND the top loading drive is just going to be more reliable in the very long run.

I haven't got many games, but my favourite picks would be Road Rash, The Need for Speed and Space Hulk.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Google 4 Gaga
    Last edited by UnpluggedClone; 05-28-2010 at 06:12 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For what it's worth the FZ-1 model of the 3DO is probably one of the best built disc load tray systems out there. I've never had any issues with the one I bought used almost 10 years ago.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Every time I eject the disc on my FZ-1 I am amazed at how much power it forces the tray open and closed.. Sometimes I almost feel like it's gonna toss the game right out of the system! haha.. no but really. I don't see that thing failing any time soon. That front loader's got some nuts.. haha.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by geezuzkhrist119 View Post
    i remember reading on a different forum that theres a 3do console model that plays back ups without a modchip just like the dreamcast

is that true?
    if so what model?
    All of them. Protection on disc based games did not start until later. Sega CD, CD32 also read straight backups............
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Semi Noob Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geezuzkane
    PSN
    Geezuzkhrist119
    Steam
    Geezuzkane

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolGamer View Post
    All of them. Protection on disc based games did not start until later. Sega CD, CD32 also read straight backups............
    what about the neo geo cd and tg 16 cd?

sorry for going off topic
    Twitter - GEEZUZKANE
    Nintendo: NESx3, SNES, N64x2, NGCx2, WIIx2, GB, GBP, GBCx2, GBASPx2, NDSLx2,
    Sega: SMS, GENx3, SATx2, DCx3
    Sony: PS1, PS1 moddedx2, PS1 Jap, PS1 Slim, PS2x2, PS2 Slim, PSP Go, PS3 Fat, PS3 Slim
    Others: XBOXx2, XBOX w/ hard mod, XBOX w/xbmc and 80gb HDD, X360, X360 Slim MW3 Edition, TG16, INTV, COLV, 2600 JR-broken, Wonderswanx2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes to both of those. I'd assume the general rule of thumb is that any console before Saturn/Playstation plays backups. Those after may or may not. I say this because it seems like the Pippin actually does play backups.

Once again, not sure on this 100%, but it does seem very likely.
    I have a sig?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

You have to remember at the time original CD based media consoles were introduced the idea of owning a CD burner was crazy, the burners were very expensive and the media would have cost you as much if not more than any game, only when it became financially feasible to burn discs at home did they start introducing copy protection.

AS TO THE ORIGINAL POST: I second the PANASONIC FZ10, yeah the FZ1 looks cooler but the fancy motorized tray is just trouble in these aging systems. I initially had the FZ1 and loved the look of it but it began skipping, not loading etc, got a FZ10 and it has been rock solid and the built in memory manager is a nice plus, I like the slimmer profile and TurboDuo styling of it. My 2 cents.
    Last edited by OldSchoolGamer; 03-24-2010 at 12:54 AM.
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dib View Post
    Yes to both of those. I'd assume the general rule of thumb is that any console before Saturn/Playstation plays backups. Those after may or may not. I say this because it seems like the Pippin actually does play backups.

Once again, not sure on this 100%, but it does seem very likely.
    Yeah, before the PSX and Saturn I'm pretty sure that all CD-based systems play backups.

Even after them, the Neo-Geo CD and Jaguar CD both play backups as well. I think the PC Engine FX does, but I'm not absolutely certain about that.

And of course, thanks to an exploit the Dreamcast plays backups... but other than that everything since then has copy protection.

Strawberry (Level 2) Manhattan Sports Club's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also have a question to ask about the 3DO. I recently aquired an FZ-1 off eBay (which turned out to be much larger than expected, silly me) and works fine, although I have no idea of its history or how its been treated in the past aside from a vague description by the seller (who had a good feedback reputation actually) as it had a few small knacks on the case, and the back ports such as where the RF switch goes appear either slightly dirty or rusted (I actually use RCA however). I have no idea how much of a lifespan is left in it for me, and being a picky and spoiled brat, I have actually been tempted to resell it for an FZ-10 because of my current skepticism but am not sure if it is worth it or if I am just worrying too much. I also want to know something else about playing imports. I hear some imports actually do not play on the US 3DO because wiki claims the US units lack a special kanji font which is only in the japanese units, that prohibits a few games from playing like Twinkle Knights and some others, but I am not sure if that happens to all US units, because I assume later models like the FZ-10 must be the same for both JP and US releases, since they were made after it was already being distributed in the japanese market unlike the early US FZ-1s (or so I assume, since 3DO was an american company). So is it true? Has anyone encountered this problem, and if so, is there a way to get around it without using a JP system?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No need to get rid of the console if it's working fine. Maybe if one day it craps on you it should be replaced, but until then why bother? Yes the US console will play the Japanese games and vice versa. Yes, the Japanese console has 100% compatibility because it uses both the US and Japanese fonts. The US console will still run 99% of the games however.

The lifespan on the FZ-1 is fine! What everyone talks about with the tray problems and whatnot is usually hear say. Rarely do you hear of a problem with it that actually happened to the person talking about it. Like I said before, I've owned a few, and they are always rock solid units. Loads better quality than a lot of consoles out there. The failure rate is pretty low.

So unless you are dying to have an FZ-10 don't bother. I think the Kanji issue is with the FZ-10 as well.

The way I see it, get whatever Panasonic model you can find that's a good deal, you'll be happy with either. The FZ-10 has the built in memory manager which is about the only thing that's better about it in my opinion. But like mentioned, you can still manage the memory on the FZ-1, you just have to do it off a disc. Big deal.. insert disc, manage memory, eject disc.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have an FZ-10 I got back in 1995 that is still going strong, along with an FZ-1 I picked up about a year ago (I always try to keep a backup console around). The FZ-10 has gotten a tremendous amount of play over the years (Star Control II, Return Fire, Gex, Battlesport, and too many more to mention) and I've never had a problem with it. My only complaint about the FZ-1 would be the lack of a built-in memory manager like the FZ-10, but it seems to be pretty durable as well. I have no experience with the Goldstar unit so I have no opinions on it other than what I have read.

I've never understood the bad reputation the 3DO seems to have today, sure it had it's share of dogs (Virtuoso, Mazer, and the Doom port for example), but in my opinion its library is aging better than that of the vastly superior PS1 (though I don't debate that the 3DO doesn't have any one title that compares to such PS1 classics as FFVII and MGS). I have a nearly complete 3DO US library and probably get more play out of it now than my 300+ title PS1 collection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Sports Club View Post
    I also want to know something else about playing imports. I hear some imports actually do not play on the US 3DO because wiki claims the US units lack a special kanji font which is only in the japanese units, that prohibits a few games from playing like Twinkle Knights and some others, but I am not sure if that happens to all US units, because I assume later models like the FZ-10 must be the same for both JP and US releases, since they were made after it was already being distributed in the japanese market unlike the early US FZ-1s (or so I assume, since 3DO was an american company). So is it true? Has anyone encountered this problem, and if so, is there a way to get around it without using a JP system?
    I know that Sword & Sorcery (Japanese version of Lucienne's Quest) displays an error message in Japanese after the splash screen on a USA system.

Personally I rescued an FZ-1 out of a neglected trash pile in a junkpile of an old game store. Coated in dirt, shoved in a pile of broken Model 2 Sega CD systems, missing the door plate on the CD tray, and it looked like something had been spilled inside at one point. The store owner saying I could have it for $10.00 only made me assume even more that it didn't work. But it did eject the disc fine (as has been said, the console ejects the tray with authority) so I took my chances. I got it home, took it apart and cleaned it out (blew out the dust, cleaned where the spill was, general stuff). Put it back together and it's been working flawlessly since. I use it quite a bit, mainly for the Sailormoon S fighting game, and haven't had any problems. I remember reading somewhere that the Goldstar control pads can cause shorts when being daisy chained with non-Goldstar control pads, so watch out for that.

As a side note, can anyone here explain how the save system works on Wolfenstein 3D? I know the menu controls can be a little clunky and I have a saved game on there I can load, but I can't seem to save another / over / new progress. I have a disc only copy and can't find a scan of the 3DO manual, thanks.