Thread: 3DO FZ-10 won't boot games...

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default 3DO FZ-10 won't boot games...

I just got a 3DO FZ-10 system and it will boot up just fine, but it won't read any games. I'm not sure that the lens is moving like it should. I swabbed the lens eye very carefully with a cotton swab (I didn't rub) to see if the lens was dirty, but I don't think it has anything to do with the problem.

Are games supposed to boot on a 3DO as soon as it starts up or is it supposed to boot them from a menu? And is this different on an FZ-10 vs. other versions of the 3DO hardware?

Forgive me for starting a separate thread for this, mods, but unfortunately, the search engine won't allow you to check for threads that are 3 letters or less (i.e. 3DO). The FZ-10 is supposed to be the most reliable version of the hardware, isn't it?

The guy I got the system from said he tested it, but I assume that he just booted it up to make sure that it powered up. I doubt that he tried any games in it. I just need to know if the system is a lost cause or if it can be saved.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm sorry to hear about the news.. nothing sucks more to be excited to get something, and then it not work. The 3DO is supposed to boot the game automatically if you have a game in it already when you turn it on. In fact, even if it's on already and you put a game in it should boot automatically that way as well. So in other words it should boot.

What's the console doing? Is it making any funny noises or anything? Is the laser moving back and forth? Maybe the laser motor is stuck, might have to take the console apart and check things out. You said that it did seem dirty, so maybe something is jammed up in there.

The FZ-10 is rumored to be the best 3DO out there, but I personally have always been fond of the FZ-1 - it just seems built like a tank, and I like that. It sounds to me by the description of it being dirty in the other thread that it was not taken care of very well.

Sounds to me like he powered it up, saw the boot screen, and shut her down without fully testing it. Maybe e-mail the person and tell him you want another one or your money back if you don't feel like taking things apart, as I assume you probably spent a decent amount of money for it.

Keep us informed.
    Last edited by Oldskool; 03-26-2010 at 04:09 AM.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskool View Post
    I'm sorry to hear about the news.. nothing sucks more to be excited to get something, and then it not work. The 3DO is supposed to boot the game automatically if you have a game in it already when you turn it on. In fact, even if it's on already and you put a game in it should boot automatically that way as well. So in other words it should boot.

What's the console doing? Is it making any funny noises or anything? Is the laser moving back and forth? Maybe the laser motor is stuck, might have to take the console apart and check things out. You said that it did seem dirty, so maybe something is jammed up in there.

The FZ-10 is rumored to be the best 3DO out there, but I personally have always been fond of the FZ-1 - it just seems built like a tank, and I like that. It sounds to me by the description of it being dirty in the other thread that it was not taken care of very well.

Sounds to me like he powered it up, saw the boot screen, and shut her down without fully testing it. Maybe e-mail the person and tell him you want another one or your money back if you don't feel like taking things apart, as I assume you probably spent a decent amount of money for it.

Keep us informed.
    Yeah, I've been checking the UK 3DO fansite and apparently stuck or dead lasers is a common problem among FZ-10 systems. The members there seem to agree that the FZ-10 is more reliable than the FZ-1, but due to the 3DO being a disc system, neither of them are necessarily that sturdy. They report problems with belts and lasers as being common with both.

Anyway, I don't think the laser has moved at any point since I started it up. The system makes a grinding noise like it's trying to read the games but it's having trouble. The UK 3DO site also said something about broken gears which might be an easy fix that only requires a trip to Radio Shack. I'm going to have to open it up and check it out once I find the correct sized screwdriver.

In reference to how I got the system, I traded the guy 3 sealed original Xbox games for the 3DO system that I already own, so as strange as it seems, I don't feel cheated. I can't really do anything with the Xbox games, and he came through with the system as promised.

I'm one of those "never say die" kind of people, so I think I'm going to see if I can't solve the issue myself before selling it for parts or tossing it.

(Edit)

I opened it up and for some reason, it looked like there was a combination of disintegrated dried-up leaves and glitter like the kind that kids use for craft projects inside the system. After laughing about that for 10 minutes or so, I used the FAQ listed here about the FZ-1's laser issues and troubleshot from there:

http://www.datacentra.net/other/3do/laser.html

So, after cleaning the laser with rubbing alcohol and replacing the case, I'm sure that the laser is dead. Everything else inside seems to be in order (no rust), so that has to be it. I will eventually order one online or see if I can get one from a computer repair shop here in town and try to fix it myself. I'm sure that it is the laser because the eye still doesn't seem to move back and forth. Other than that, I don't think the system is a lost cause. However, I might see if I can get a cheap bare FZ-1 or FZ-10 in the meantime. The system still might be a decent backup if I can get it working.
    Last edited by josekortez; 03-26-2010 at 09:54 AM.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well if you can get the whole laser assembly with the motor and everything, that might work. But just the laser only most likely won't fix the problem. Did you check the ribbon cable? Is it still in one piece? Did everything seem to look ok? Did the gears look ok? Did you try manually moving the motor/gears? Sometimes if it's just jammed you can turn the gears and move the motor (if it's just gunked up from not being used for several years). It almost sounds like the laser is not moving back and forth, you mentioned that the 3DO is making noises (might be a bound up gear/motor). Try and see if you can operate the system with the case off that way you can visually see what's going on. I wouldn't trash it. If you can't fix it get another one and use it for parts, or sell it for parts. But do not trash it.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, the problem is that there are two posts holding the laser and CD spinner down that I will probably need to break off in order to get into the mechanism to check it. From the sound that it makes when I turn the system on with a disc inserted and the cover off, it seems to be straining to read the game but the lens isn't moving. Maybe it is the motor. If that's the case, I've read that the motor from the original PS1 will work as a replacement motor. If that's the case, I will probably take one out of one of my duplicate PS1s and use that instead. I just want to be sure before I cannabalize a working PS1.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

After consulting a few members on another retro forum, they suggested that the problem might have something to do with the laser not getting the signal to move into position instead of the laser motor. I noticed that there is only one motor and according to the FZ-1 FAQ I found, it is most like the spindle motor which seems to be working fine. Is there such a thing as a laser motor?

Are there any weekend warriors out here who might be able to offer any suggestions? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't mind that last response, it's a bot.

I'm really at a loss now and what the problem could be, it's hard to help you diagnose it without actually being there to look at it. I would recommend you check out this 3DO Forum. They may know how to help you with your problem, and it's just a good place to be anyways since you own a 3DO now.

3DO Zero Forums
    http://www.3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskool View Post
    Don't mind that last response, it's a bot.

I'm really at a loss now and what the problem could be, it's hard to help you diagnose it without actually being there to look at it. I would recommend you check out this 3DO Forum. They may know how to help you with your problem, and it's just a good place to be anyways since you own a 3DO now.

3DO Zero Forums
    http://www.3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/
    Thanks, Oldskool. I have signed up for the 3DO International Forum. Hope they can provide a fix!