Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Anyone else get their GTA San Andreas settlement checks yet?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerboy View Post
    And to think, 25 years ago we could have gotten settlement checks from Nintendo for leaving in a Minus World you couldn't escape even though you weren't supposed to be there anyway.
    Actually, I still have the $5 rebate coupon that my stepson got in the mail from Nintendo many years ago as a result of a price fixing lawsuit. Wonder if it would bring anything on eBay.

JY
    Last edited by Jimmy Yakapucci; 04-04-2010 at 10:26 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    That is assuming that lying is even a crime...

If I stood on the corner with a sign that said, "Paying ~$35 a person if they are offended by polygonal sex acts." Who's fault is it I am being lied to by those that are not offended? Maybe the fault is merely mine for giving incentive for and soliciting possible falsehoods. Or maybe it's the corruption of the overarching power structure, that cornered me in this position to begin with? Who is going to pass on the money, voluntarily offered, over a trivial and arbitrary falsehood that harms no one, and can never be proved?

There are two major forms of moral corruption; Those that make moral arguments that justify, ex-post facto, their own or others immoral acts and those that make moral arguments to satisfy and validate their own bigotries. Whether it's done knowingly or not is the degree.
    Lying is not a crime. Perjury is a crime in every state and under Federal law. If in fact Norkusa committed perjury, which it appears he did based on his own statements, he committed a crime. The money was not offered voluntarily. Not everyone received it. The only people legally entitled to it were those who swore an oath under penalty of perjury that they were offended. Based on his own statements, he was never offended by the content and yet he took $33 from a company. That company was harmed in the amount of $33. It's no different than walking into a store and stealing a game off the shelf worth $33 and telling the guard on the way out that you paid for it. Nobody was harmed except maybe the store's insurance company, but it's a crime and everyone agrees it's a crime.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    It has nothing to do with "being old fashioned". Again, your bias (a lawsuit of this kind closed your former employer) makes your opinion very suspect. It's funny how you say "Wait til it happens to you!" when it already happened to you. If it does, I hope I don't let my judgment become as clouded as yours has become.

Speaking of old fashioned, you still have the notion that corporate America or the government gives a shit about you? That the law is just and right? That taking this bullshit money is going to make you less "moral", that keeping your morals against immoral entities is somehow "the right thing to do"? That's just being naive. I don't know what world you live in, but it isn't mine. You can keep being holier than thou all you want, but you'll keep getting screwed until you realize how things really are.

You say that your reputation and word mean something... yet you pass off nork's reputation (considerably better than yours, I might add) for something as trite as this. That's really sad.

Oh, and:

First of all, I wasn't even working for the former employer at the time they closed, but that doesn't matter in any way. What happened to all those other employees and their families was wrong. If that makes me biased than so be it, but all of us bring biases to our arguments and to the way we lead our lives. I'm guessing your hatred of corporate America and the government could be considered a bias and is probably based on some experiences from your past.

I've lived honestly and truthfully to the best of my ability for my entire life and as a result, I have a great family, a great job, great friends, a nice house and all the video games I could ever want or need. I work for a company that doesn't screw people over and I live in an amazing country that is actually making progress on things like health care that have hurt the less fortunate in our society for too long. Contrary to your claims, corporations don't do either care or not care about people. Corporations are just large groups of people working together to make money. A lot of corporate leaders care about their employees and their customers because that's how to make a bigger profit. Their motivations might not be pure, but the outcomes can still be positive for everyone involved.

This whole discussion has nothing to do with taking money. If the lawsuit settlement was that everyone who bought the game got paid, I would have no issue with people accepting the checks. The problem is, Norkusa committed perjury to get $33 and then lied about it here on the board. I could care less about his reputation or what you think of mine. All I know is, I don't deal with people who would engage in that kind of conduct and based on all the private messages I have received about the subject, I think there are a lot of people who feel the same way on here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

and let's not forget that in most (if not all) of these cases, the only real "winners" are the lawyers who get ridiculous contingency fees BEFORE the settlement is divvied up by thousands of plaintiffs. So, the "injured parties" get very little ($33 in this case) and the lawyers get millions.

Which makes this type of litigation very attractive for scummy lawyers and makes our legal system a joke.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Lying is not a crime. Perjury is a crime in every state and under Federal law. If in fact Norkusa committed perjury, which it appears he did based on his own statements, he committed a crime. The money was not offered voluntarily. Not everyone received it. The only people legally entitled to it were those who swore an oath under penalty of perjury that they were offended. Based on his own statements, he was never offended by the content and yet he took $33 from a company. That company was harmed in the amount of $33. It's no different than walking into a store and stealing a game off the shelf worth $33 and telling the guard on the way out that you paid for it. Nobody was harmed except maybe the store's insurance company, but it's a crime and everyone agrees it's a crime.
    I don't agree... Perjury is lying under oath, or on a legal document. It's fundamentally retarded. It's basically a contract after the fact, and thereby, worthless. Playing the game, on their terms...

They still have to prove that he is lying right? Well, a defense against the 'evidence' of his own words is, "I was in a discussion with people that think different from me in this situation. To avoid any possible clashes, I simply said that I was not offended in that instance. I am still, and was deeply offended, as I stated on the affidavit."

Prove that is a lie. For less than $33.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 04-05-2010 at 01:01 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    This is total bullshit. It is victimless.

For one thing, if companies raise prices of new games, it sure as hell won't be because of this lawsuit or any other. It'll be because of rising development and marketing costs.

Since when was a poorly done, only available by hacking mini-game "taking risks in what they develop"? Last I checked, hiding the mini-game is not taking a risk. It was a mistake not removing it from the game entirely. Also, the lawsuit was about sex, not violence. If you want the bar pushed on violence, it most definitely still is and no one gives a shit.

There is no cost. Consider it a freebie from our pussified society. Take your check, cash it and call it a fucking day.

Oh, you mean like Liberty City Stories, Vice City Stories, GTA Tales from Liberty City DLC, GTA Chinatown Wars....

my new favorite poster ^_^
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."