Thread: Performing the Saturn Region Mod

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Question Performing the Saturn Region Mod

I couldn't find any info on this one simple question... are there any "traps" to look out for when doing this? I know for example if you open the PS2 you have to be careful not to tear this thin ribbon cable that is connected to the unit and casing. (Obviously Saturn didn't have anything like that, I've taken the top half of the casing off already to see what's in there.)

It seems I'd have to unmount the power board and optical disc assembly, then remove the RF shield, to get to the motherboard, and even then I still don't know where the 06-11 jumpers are going to be but it's just a matter of looking around until I spot them. I just want to know it really is as simple as it looks in there before I start taking it apart (this is my friend's Saturn he loaned to me and he's aware I want to flip the region on it while it's here.)

All I'll do is manually change the jumper setting to Japan mode for one import I have and I'll return it to US mode before giving the console back to my friend, so I'll be doing it twice but it's no big deal.

Also:

http://www.gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?...ts:sega_saturn

Thanks to this I know what to move the jumpers to.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

there are many revisions of Saturn consoles, but you should not have too much trouble taking it apart and putting it back together, some are more annoying then others, just lay every thing out on a table in the order you take it apart, then you should have no issues putting it back together.

good luck finding the jumpers (one board has jumpers on the top and the bottom)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you can't figure it out, this guy can region switch it for you. I've heard good things about him, but have no experience with him personally.

http://www.oldschoolgamer.ca/node/110

You can shoot him an e-mail here and see if he responds. He may also be able to walk you through or point you to a guide on how to do it yourself.

info@oldschoolgamer.ca

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Arrow

Thanks for the info guys. This mod is meant to be temporary for the purpose of testing/using an import game then switching the console back to US region and probably not changing it again.

I actually sat down tonight to do this. I got blocked by something, though. It seems I must remove the power board/assembly since it is obstructing the shield from coming out, and to get this board out I have to separate the A/C plug from the casing. Those screws are so damn tight, my only two screwdrivers that fit them just skip out of the head. I have to call my buddy and ask if maybe he has a better-fitting tool for these screws.

Oh, I was amused how convenient it is to remove the optical disc assembly. I like how it rests on four rubber columns for stability in the disc reading. I swear, Sega made good hardware and they didn't piss you off if you wanted to get inside by using weird security screws like Nintendo did.

Any, worst case is that I end up waiting until I order my white Saturn and just play imports straight up on that, not a big deal. I intended to do that regardless of whether I did the mod on my friend's US Saturn or not. He only wants to play US games and I only want to play import games. I will always insist my (future) Saturn is better than his, oh, and has better library of titles, too. Ha.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just get them region modded, then you don't have to worry about having two Saturns hooked up to play.

Here are directions on which jumpers to use to play Japanese games - you should be able to install a switch to the US and Japanese jumpers to play from both regions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskool View Post
    Just get them region modded, then you don't have to worry about having two Saturns hooked up to play.

Here are directions on which jumpers to use to play Japanese games - you should be able to install a switch to the US and Japanese jumpers to play from both regions.

I have that in my bookmarks. There is no effective purpose to perform it since this is not my Saturn, it's my friend's, and he has no desire (at this time) to load up Japanese discs. I, on the other hand, will get the Japanese Saturn and have no desire to load American discs. At least the path for region modding is available should either of us ever choose to follow it.

I have a minor issue now. I put it all together, cleaned it up and tested it to make sure all is ok. All is not ok. The Saturn will not engage the disc rotation mechanism. The software thinks it's checking disc format and just silently gives up and does nothing. I reconnected the small molex-style connector to the optical disc assembly board and nothing else was ever disconnected from this component. I also did reconnect the power plug to the power assembly board in the back corner near the A/C input. Everything ought to be where it should yet something is clearly wrong.

We did test the unit before opening the case, it was operating correctly. Any suggestions what I might have done wrong? It can't be anything serious, I hardly touched anything inside. I'd prefer to get it back to working order before I return it, obviously.

Edit: The unit took an unusual amount of time to pass the Saturn splash screen and present the user interface. I wonder if that is due to the optical disc reading hardware not reporting an expected state/status code?