Thread: Iron Angel of the Apocalypse 3do

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Default Iron Angel of the Apocalypse 3do

I beat this game last night and was wondering what other people thought of the game. I know it's not highly regarded or anything but I really enjoyed it.

It's a very slow, brooding, simple FPS. After the first 7 levels I felt like I knew how the rest of the game was going to pan out (design and gameplay wise) but every few levels it would consistently introduce some new element (the invisible wall maze) that I found added a lot to the game. Nothing is ever explained so you just have to figure things out on your own. It kept impressing me all the way to the end. Some of the later levels like Floor 26 and 27 were filled with teleporters and I had to pull out the ol' graph paper and do some dungeon mapping so I could keep my bearings. I also took notes of all the upgrade locations. I hadn't mapped anything in a while and I rather enjoyed it.

I really had a good time with this game and I love just how obscure the game is. It has nice "moody" graphics and an incredibly atmospheric soundtrack. The music was so good. It had a very industrial and electronica flavor, and I like how it would change every 7 floors so I never really got burned out on it.

Sure the game has it's issues. You cant strafe and shoot at the same time, the corners of walls can be shot through, and some of the enemy collision detection is frustratingly bad, but I still had a blast with it.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this game? Better yet, has anyone else here taken the time to beat the game?
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never finished the game but I recall enjoying the portion I played. I remember the story and audio were pretty good but it was a little repetitious. I still have it so maybe I'll pick it up again someday.

I never could get into the sequel though, for whatever reason.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Tatsujin! Awesome game. I never made it all the way through the game, but I did like it and it's sequel. Both are very underrated games sadly and deserve a look if you are at all interested in the 3DO. Nice level designs as well as dark and moody storyline that the graphics and music fit so well. This is easily Cyberpunk gaming at it's finest. Well, at least in FPS style.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just got this game. Looks like I'll have to give it a play soon.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Awesome! It's good to see that there are others that enjoyed the game.

I have to say however, that I could not play the game in long sessions. It would start to wear on me. But if I stuck to 1-2 hour play sessions and beat 3-4 floors at a time, it was perfect.

I'm going to have to hunt down the sequel now. I hope it retains the same atmosphere, obscurity and the music is just as awesome!
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Video review someone did of the second game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnTTNQldGaw

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon View Post
    Video review someone did of the second game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnTTNQldGaw
    WOW! Thanks for the video.

I really liked the first game, even with it's faults, but after watching that review... it looks like they improved on it 100%. I'm surprised by just how many changes they made. I'm really looking forward to tracking a copy down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Lots of improvements? What things exactly? I imagine the map is one thing, if you were talking about manual mapping in the first one...

I haven't played them, but I was looking up the company's other games after finding a copy of L-Zone last year, and that's when I ran across that video review. Looks okay, though very simple.
    Last edited by A Black Falcon; 04-01-2010 at 05:41 PM.