Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wii VC Game - Transfering

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Wii VC Game - Transfering

With a SD card..If I buy a game like

Drac X on my nephews Wii to My Wii when I get it, later down the road..Can I do it??

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

You can't.

Your Wii VC games are tied to your console.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nope, due to anti-piracy measures you cannot.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WolfpacLeader
    PSN
    wolfpacleader86

Like everyone said here, it is not possible. When you download it and install it, it takes in your console's serial number. So, no two are alike. It's just like the downloads on a PS3, 360, DSi or any other console as such.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If I'm not mistaken, you can actually transfer purchases. BUT this is only done under special circumstances to reclaim ALL purchases. I believe it was mainly for people who had their Wii's repaired, but I think there may have been other reasons people have done this.

So it won't work for you as everyone has said. Just wait until you get your own Wii or just see if you can complete it on your nephew's if you just can't wait.

Alternatively just find Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles for PSP if you have one.
    I have a sig?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBlaze View Post
    Like everyone said here, it is not possible. When you download it and install it, it takes in your console's serial number. So, no two are alike. It's just like the downloads on a PS3, 360, DSi or any other console as such.
    No it isn't. Downloads on a 360, PSP, and PS3 can be transferred by the user. Only downloads on a Wii or DSi can't be transferred.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dib View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, you can actually transfer purchases. BUT this is only done under special circumstances to reclaim ALL purchases. I believe it was mainly for people who had their Wii's repaired, but I think there may have been other reasons people have done this.
    Nintendo has the power to transfer your licenses for a console sent in for repairs (If it's necessary to send a repaired console back that isn't your original or internal components have to be changed during the repair process that affect your licenses). But the consumer never has the power to transfer purchases.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBlaze View Post
    Except that PSN purchases are tied to your PSN ID and up to five PS3 consoles.

So, you could log in to your PSN account on a friend/family member's PS3, activate that console as 1 of 5, buy the game and then download it later to your own PS3 (which would be console 2 of 5).

You could even "deactivate" the console that it was initially downloaded on in the event that you expect to purchase 4 more PS3s in the future and you want the right to download 1 copy on each.

Same goes for PSP.

While a lot of early 360 games could be downloaded and played on other consoles as long as you put your XBL account on the HDD, most modern 360 XBL games are tied to the XBL account AND the console serial number where they were originally purchased. In SOME cases you can download those games and play them on friends' systems IF you're logged in to your account and the console is online, but most of the time games will only play in demo mode if they're not being played on the console with the matching serial number that they were purchased on.

You can transfer your console license one time per year and the rights for all games you've purchased can be consolidated to the 360 console that you're transferring the rights to.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 03-29-2010 at 10:41 PM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

I thought that one transfer per year rule was waived if the reason for replacement was a warranty issue and not just a new purchase.
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Robocop2 View Post
    I thought that one transfer per year rule was waived if the reason for replacement was a warranty issue and not just a new purchase.
    Possibly. I was only referring to doing it yourself.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I could be wrong, but I will mention this because you legally purchased the software on your nephew's machine. I believe there are ways to use the homebrew channel to allow downloaded (from the interwebs, not the Nintendo Store) Wiiware games to run on any console. Since you did buy the software, it is not illegal to download the game and mod it to work on your machine. However, I do forget if this is possible with Wiiware, though I could have sworn it is. I've just never tried/looked into it myself. Info, anyone?

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So if your Wii fails a miserable death, and it's out of warranty, you basically got screwed by the pooch? This whole DLC crap is a bunch of bull shit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskool View Post
    So if your Wii fails a miserable death, and it's out of warranty, you basically got screwed by the pooch? This whole DLC crap is a bunch of bull shit.
    Not realy once you pay to down load the game you can down load it again for free.

Though if you buy another wii to replace the broken one then it is a problem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

No, you send it to Nintendo and pay a nominal repair fee (not sure what the going rate is but it's probably cheaper than buying a new Wii). If they need to clear the system memory for some reason you can re-download the DLC again. Record of your purchase is in Nintendo's servers.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 03-31-2010 at 03:38 PM.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick View Post
    I could be wrong, but I will mention this because you legally purchased the software on your nephew's machine. I believe there are ways to use the homebrew channel to allow downloaded (from the interwebs, not the Nintendo Store) Wiiware games to run on any console. Since you did buy the software, it is not illegal to download the game and mod it to work on your machine. However, I do forget if this is possible with Wiiware, though I could have sworn it is. I've just never tried/looked into it myself. Info, anyone?

-Rob
    They bypassed fair use rights by selling a user license contract, and not the actual data itself. Legally, you don't own the data (through the license, all ownership is retained by the licensee), so fair use doesn't apply.

You can still do this with VC releases through emulators on Wii with games you own in physical formats... Just not the WiiWare stuff, unless it has a physical release and you own it. AFAIK, that's the issue to the letter of 'the law'. :/

You can still do it though... Just not without consequence of law if caught and pressed.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 03-31-2010 at 01:03 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    They bypassed fair use rights by selling a user license contract, and not the actual data itself. Legally, you don't own the data (through the license, all ownership is retained by the licensee), so fair use doesn't apply.

You can still do this with VC releases through emulators on Wii with games you own in physical formats... Just not the WiiWare stuff, unless it has a physical release and you own it. AFAIK, that's the issue to the letter of 'the law'. :/

You can still do it though... Just not without consequence of law if caught and pressed.
    So if you downloaded it to play on the Nephew's machine, and then deleted it, the user license that has been purchased is still violated by putting it another machine? I'm sure the must be a loophole there somewhere...wish I was a lawyer.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm a philosophical anarchist and I DIY law review all the time. I don't need an advocate from authority such as lawyers. Always bypass the hierarchy if you want to get closer to truth. You might still need a lawyer if your being attacked by one though. We don't speak the same language of law, so they'd operate more like an interpreter.

That license only applies to the single instance on that one machine (unless Nintendo allows a transfer themselves). If you simply delete the data, the license still is in effect for that machine. The license is not user transferable at all, even if you sell the Wii to someone else (by contract, it's supposed to be formatted/wiped when transferred). Nintendo can, but that's completely outside of that stipulated to the user by the contract. It's in the DLC license agreement, which you have to agree to before you download anything.

I don't like aspects of it myself, but these systems are voluntary so if you don't like it, just avoid it. I only get my DO WANT dls. I rarely buy to try anything I'm not sure about before hand because of the system of legal use. I wish they had some sort of a return for credit system, then I'd be a bit more adventurous about what I spend points on. Wish they'd hurry up with the NA release of Ironclad. I've had 1200 points sitting for a longtime.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 03-31-2010 at 03:55 AM.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

DLC isn't the problem here. DRM is.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

That is the way of DLC- another way for the companies to grab us consumers by the balls and then stick a firing squad on the third party market.

Worst and, somehow, best idea by my opinion.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

1. Get SD card.
    2. Install Homebrew.
    3. Transfer games all over the place like crazy.

The simplest solution is often the best.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's just one method of avoidance.