Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Atari 2600 Air Raid box found

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sniderman View Post
    So this one-of-a-kind-oh-my-God-rare-as-hell-never-before-seen-or-pictured game box is "discovered" on 4/1 and is discussed at length on AA.
    Actually it was posted a couple days before the first, though I see your point.

Mitch

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hawksmoor View Post
    If the creator of the game can be contacted to verify the name of the game, couldn't that individual also verify the legitimacy of the box?
    I believe the person who verified the game (creator, designer, etc. can't remember where in the thread the title was said), stated it was verified a couple years ago. I'm sure they could with the box as well if someone can find him. However, there is no doubt in my mind this is real, being a former webdesigner I don't see anything fake in those pictures. :/
    I am a collector of the classics (Atari, NES, SNES, Genesis, 3DO, Saturn, etc.)

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know why the creator is not interviewed more in this. People don't have a CLUE about MEN-A-VISION.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, i keep hearing that there was an interview with someone involved with men-a-vision. If we know who made the game, why don't we ask him?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If it was the same guy who claimed to have found an Air Raid box years ago, then I think it's because he stopped responding to emails.

Too Old for this Crap Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    QOF
    3DS Friend
    3308-4993-4867

Quote Originally Posted by vintagegamecrazy View Post
    I'm calling real too and if it is then what rare games for the 2600 still need boxes to be found for them?
    Was a box for Eli's Ladder found?
    "I am way too lesbian for that shit."

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    Yeah, i keep hearing that there was an interview with someone involved with men-a-vision. If we know who made the game, why don't we ask him?
    This would answer a lot of questions. I often wonder why more classic game developers aren't members of classic game message boards.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Of The Felines View Post
    Was a box for Eli's Ladder found?
    It wasn't sold with one. CPUWIZ at AtariAge did make a mock-up box for it at one point (as he did with the MagiCard).

Quote Originally Posted by TheDomesticInstitution View Post
    I often wonder why more classic game developers aren't members of classic game message boards.
    Because too many posters on classic game message boards are lunatics.
    Last edited by PingvinBlueJeans; 04-04-2010 at 12:35 AM.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PingvinBlueJeans View Post
    It wasn't sold with one. CPUWIZ at AtariAge did make a mock-up box for it at one point (as he did with the MagiCard).

Because too many posters on classic game message boards are lunatics.
    Exactly. And when people try to bring out something new to the community, they get chastised for it. See Messiah and Rob Fulop.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I often wonder why more classic game developers aren't members of classic game message boards.
    Gaming forums are full of freaks, for one thing. And just because they developed video games almost 2 generations ago doesn't mean they have a social interest in it. I know that I wouldn't be jumping at the chance to argue with a bunch of nerds and fanboys about what I did for a living 30+ years ago.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hawksmoor View Post
    If the creator of the game can be contacted to verify the name of the game, couldn't that individual also verify the legitimacy of the box?
    Quote Originally Posted by AcePuppy View Post
    I believe the person who verified the game (creator, designer, etc. can't remember where in the thread the title was said), stated it was verified a couple years ago. I'm sure they could with the box as well if someone can find him. However, there is no doubt in my mind this is real, being a former webdesigner I don't see anything fake in those pictures. :/
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamTR View Post
    I don't know why the creator is not interviewed more in this. People don't have a CLUE about MEN-A-VISION.
    The creator of the game is unknown, and has never been found. It has been called "Air Raid" since 1991, and is basically a hack of Space Jockey. when someone in The 2600 Connection newsletter stated he seen it in box. Another person one Usenet in 1995 also confirmed this. However, neither offered pictures. There are also some discrepancies in their descriptions and this box. For one, it doesn't open like a book, as the person in 1991 claimed.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I wonder, is it proper to consider the game an actual Atari 2600 game, or simply a hack/homebrew 10 years before those became commonplace?
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    I wonder, is it proper to consider the game an actual Atari 2600 game, or simply a hack/homebrew 10 years before those became commonplace?
    That's a good point, but a lot of games were hacks (see games by Puzzy/Bit Corp, ZiMag, Panda, Froggo, etc).

There were a few other titles released back then (Birthday Mania, Gamma-Attack, Red Sea Crossing) which were basically homebrews. While those at least were original games, Air Raid is a hack. But regardless, Air Raid was sold with a box, in actual stores, and was distributed by a 'corporation' (in theory, at least). Those earlier titles I mentioned were programmed by individuals working out of their homes and sold via mail order. Even still, they're just as legitimate anything else. I suppose it's all subjective in the end and people can draw lines wherever they like.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I wonder why people even thought it's not an original box. Hello, did you guys feel the same about Stadium Events, maybe THAT was a selfmade box.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    That was discussed on Atari Age in this thread a couple of years ago. The guy who started the topic threw out the possibility the whole thing may have been a hoax, with the homebrew programmer scattering a bunch around the nation to thrift shops in the 90's. I think this is more of a possibility than it being a mail-order homebrew, because no one has yet seen an ad for it.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    I wonder why people even thought it's not an original box. Hello, did you guys feel the same about Stadium Events, maybe THAT was a selfmade box.
    I think because there is no known box to compare it to. There are known sealed Stadium Events, so comparisons can be made to an actual product to verify authenticity if need be. That and the dubious origins of "Air Raid." No one seems to agree if it was a retail release, a homebrew, the actual name of the game, or anything about the company. I knew little about the game before the box surfaced, and after reading through this thread I'm more confused than ever.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

I think this game needs more butter monster.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    you might want to flood that page with Google ads.
    It's got 345 views in it's first three days, not bad.

http://www.men-a-vision.com/

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    The Air Raid box was announced just before April Fools day by a new member with few posts, on a site that regularly does over-the-top April Fools day pranks that are similar in nature. Why would you be surprised about some people having doubts?

The owner of the box should have waited at least a week past April Fools day to post anything about it.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by Zap! View Post
    That was discussed on Atari Age in this thread a couple of years ago. The guy who started the topic threw out the possibility the whole thing may have been a hoax, with the homebrew programmer scattering a bunch around the nation to thrift shops in the 90's. I think this is more of a possibility than it being a mail-order homebrew, because no one has yet seen an ad for it.
    Interesting, I'm just surprised that the game was "given" a title in 1991. Even though the box lists a copyright of 1982. What's more, there was that letter to the editor in 1992 Atari 2600 connection describing the box and game. And supposedly that reader died 2 years ago. Even though this box doesn't appear to be a "gatefold" as the reader described, Albert of AA saw it himself and his word is gold for me. I won't be bidding though. Then again, I think the ebay account is Albert's? If the game was indeed produced during the system's original life cycle, especially as early as '82, it has the same validity as unauthorized games like Halloween or Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Not sure if its worth tens of thousands though.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK