Thread: AV extender box project

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    compute1984

Default AV extender box project

A few questions before I get underway with this project, hope you guys can help (project details follow):

1) How long will an RF tv signal go through a cable? I only need to get like 15ft for this, so I think I should be ok
    2) Same question, composite video/line level audio. I considered swapping standard A/V cables for some type of coaxial cable to reduce signal loss. Would I be better off just integrating an extender into the rig?

Any ideas/suggestions? Anyone else build something like this? Your help is appreciated!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/spotulate/4480436630/

CRK

Introduction:

Many collectors use massive setups and banks of switches and power strips to have all of their systems hooked up all of the time. I do not wish to have the clutter (or dust my consoles every 2 days) of having shelves full of consoles I don't play often enough to keep ready to go. Another consideration in this project is that I hate getting up to change games, so the idea is to keep the console-in-play on the coffee table, instead of across the room or in the middle of the floor where guests will trip over it.

Therefore, I have decided that an A/V 'extender box' is the best option for me. This way, I can have all of the hookups that I need right on the coffee table near the couch. Available hookups will include composite A/V (current tv does not have component, svid, etc), an F-type RF connector, RCA type RF connector, and 300ohm screw-terminal RF connector (flathead are pictured, but will use thumb screws for part).

Considerations:
    -The idea was to use as many parts I have laying around the house as possible, to keep it cheap.
    -The design presented is nowhere near final
    -Still debating whether to have the cables attached or spend the extra few bucks to be able to switch out the cables going to the tv.
    See my latest arcade repair at the Holodeck 2 Arcade Repair Blog: http://holodeck2arcade.blogspot.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Make sure you use well sheilded cables. Especially if you're going to have AC outlets in the same box. I'd probally have the RF section in a grounded metal box inside the main enclosure.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    compute1984

The AC outlets aren't for sure, yet. I thought they would be a nice addition, but the extra hassle vs. using an existing power strip, etc.
    See my latest arcade repair at the Holodeck 2 Arcade Repair Blog: http://holodeck2arcade.blogspot.com