Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Red Dead Redemption

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Got Red Dead Redemption today. It just came out two days ago and I ordered free shipping so Amazon must have sent it out early or something.

Anyways, I was looking up more pictures of it and came across the PS360 comparisons. So I decided to read them. I only own a PS3 now and man did the PS3 version get screwed. I don't really care as I don't own a 360 and I wouldn't have noticed the difference otherwise, but damn is Rockstar lazy. It was developed on the 360 first and instead of trying to make the PS3 version the same quality they port it with sub 720p graphics and less detail in areas like grass on the ground etc. Not only is it graphically inferior because Rockstar was too lazy to correct the frame rate while still keeping it on par to the 360 version, IT STILL has supposed frame rate issues.

The only reason I'm complaining about this now is because this is the first game I'm interested in that has this issue. Also for something that is most likely going to be game of the year it's pretty much bs.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 05-20-2010 at 04:39 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Got Red Dead Redemption today. It just came out two days ago and I ordered free shipping so Amazon must have sent it out early or something.
    I have been waiting for mine from amazon if you searched the tracking number on usps is there info in there. Mine just says the generic we have not received it yet bs.
    neo geo system

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Mine says it was shipped from Kentucky on the 18th. Not sure how they ship it, but I would think it would have updated somewhere else by now, regardless mine is out there I guess.

Strawberry (Level 2) misfits859's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MuppetMaster View Post
    Where do you play poker? I can't find a game anywhere?

Also this game is crazzy ...I was just roaming around the wilderness and found a man crying after he found his wife dead (suicide, or he killed her) I stopped for a minute and he spouted something and proceded to kill himself (gun to head). This had nothing to do with the story or anything it was just random stuff thats happening in the game world.
    There are poker games in the saloons and I know there is one on the ranch in one of the buildings. Check your map and look engage the map icons.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

I played a little bit (2 hours or so) of multiplayer the other night. It has it's moments, but nothing that will keep people playing in a few months. The shootouts that start off the match are great. The rest is just blah, 3rd-person running and gunning. Very similar in feel to GTAIV multiplayer...which was just "OK" too. Nothing terrible, just not something that's going to hold most people's interest for long.

The online freeroam is worthless unless you're playing with friends. Otherwise it's just a bunch of idiots thinking they're playing some retarded mega-map deathmatch. The sheer openness of the world must be too much for some people. All they can think to do is shoot the first person they see. Dumb.

Single player is amazing. The voice acting...best ever? Definitely in the top 5 of all time.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have been hearing good things about this game. I'll definatley be getting a copy soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post

Single player is amazing. The voice acting...best ever? Definitely in the top 5 of all time.

Yeah, I would say the production values are better than some TV shows I watch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

The voice acting rules. The game talks to you if you listen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I think the game is good. Cover system is the same as it is in GTA4, there are some flaws, but the shooting system is much better.

I'm curious if anyone else knows how to capture someone? I haven't died but I've been shot up trying to capture people that are supposed to be captured instead of killed. One night watchmen thing had where people were having a fist fight, I shot both in the legs and they fell to the ground, then I went over to them maybe to hit triangle like when you loot someone but seeing if it gave me an option to tie them up. Same thing happened on a wanted poster which I killed him also.

On one mission all I did was go over there and it went to the story sequence. But again, that's a mission.

Another thing I did was play poker. Extremely flawed and by flawed I mean easy. If they check, bet and they'll fold, guaranteed. You can have complete garbage for cards and that's how it always happens. It's nice that they don't know that they're going to win this hand like most poker games(anything just poker) and you'll probably lose to probably first game you play, but then this right here is too easy.

Strawberry (Level 2) Arcade_Ness's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey Kupo, you need the lasso to capture people. Once you have someone caught in your lasso, than while still holding them, you walk to their body and press triangle to hogtie them.

Great game so far. I remember the other day when I went to the rescue of a woman stranded in the middle of nowhere, I was then ambushed by bandits. I take out the bandits, then hogtie the woman, put her on my horse, drop her on the railroad tracks, and watch her die as the train plows through her. Best excuse to get that Dastardly trophy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Those who preordered from Amazon better check for your Red Dead Redemption credit. When I got it there was no gift card/certificate to put in so I assumed that it'd just be on my Amazon account.

I searched "didn't get red dead redemption credit" on Google and came up with a bunch of other people not getting their credit also. I already emailed them, making sure I get my credit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Those who preordered from Amazon better check for your Red Dead Redemption credit. When I got it there was no gift card/certificate to put in so I assumed that it'd just be on my Amazon account.

I searched "didn't get red dead redemption credit" on Google and came up with a bunch of other people not getting their credit also. I already emailed them, making sure I get my credit.
    Yeah from what I understand it is standard Amazon practice to make you wait a while for the credit, I got this email:

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear that you haven't yet received your $20.00 gift card.

I checked the description of the " Red Dead Redemption" offer and see we'll send you a $20 gift card via e-mail within 10 days of the release date. The gift card can be used for any Amazon.com purchase where gift cards are normally accepted.

As long as your order meets all of the terms and conditions for the offer, you'll receive your promotional certificate by May 28. If you don't receive it by then, please let us know by going to the URL below:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/contac...omotions.html/

I hope this helps. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Did I solve your problem?

Btw, I have to say this game is instant love and an instant classic. Definitely the best western game ever and possibly in the top 10 best games EVER made.

Word to the wise, the game uses a pop and shoot mechanic like Gears of War and there are multiple lock-on systems. I recommend playing with "expert" setting to get used to it as online matches seem to gear towards expert and hardcore players at higher levels. All work well though once you understand the mechanics the game becomes a gem. Also online takes a bit of negotiating to understand, but once you do you will "get it", it's masterfully done.

Very glad I bought it. Excellent game, definite GOTY material for sure.
    Last edited by BHvrd; 05-22-2010 at 04:31 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm a few hours into the game, and I'm really enjoying it so far. The graphics are pretty good overall, nothing mind blowing though. It's definitely setup like GTA though where there's the main missions and a whole bunch of side ones as well. The controls are tight, but controlling your horse takes a little getting use to. The voice acting and overall audio are solid as well. Most definitely a GOTY contender!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    I am still thinking about this one.

I don't like GTA, and I heard it was like GTA, so I am not sure.

Still, $20 off the next game purchase on Amazon, plus free shipping, is very nice. The special is still available.

But I don't know if I should just wait a year or two until it lowers to $20....just don't know.
    It's worth the money. I would highly recommend picking it up, especially if you can take advantage of that Amazon.com offer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Honestly I hated GTAIV and have never really liked GTA games in general, mainly cause of the god awful fighting mechanics, which is VASTLY improved here. I played GTA3 on PS2 the most, but after that I was like, meh. This game is MUCH more focused. The theme is better and the action and events throughout the game so far are much more interesting and keep you in the game. The main character is Rockstars best since Max Payne imo.

It is alot like GTA, but I hated GTA and love this. Rockstar has obviously learned alot and has figured out a perfect pace for this type of game cause it's like a sandbox game with so much to do around every turn that it doesn't get boring. The map has a feeling of "not to big" and "not to small". You don't wander aimlessly too often unless you try.

You can herd cattle, tame horses, play horseshoes, play poker, take bounties, get in duels, help citizens, skin animals, harvest collections, the list goes on and on, BUT THE BIGGEST IMPROVEMENT and best thing "imo" about the whole game is you can be an honest to goodness "bad guy".

Like in Fable, people will run in fear or do you favors and when you shift towards being a bad guy other gangs will honor and welcome you, when the law comes after you it isn't like in GTA, you can wipe the floor with the lawmen, you can own their asses and this is by far the biggest thing that makes it different and better than GTA, BY FAR.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can you kill someone without getting a bounty put on your head? Also, are bounties bad if you escape the posses?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

You can kill anyone that isn't an innocent without getting a bounty. You also can't kill horses. If you kill an innocent and no one sees it, I don't think you get a bounty either. Not sure about that one though.

To be honest, I find the game difficult to get in trouble and stay in trouble. I mean just killing innocents and law men get extremely boring.

Another thing. John Marston can't swim. I was going to swim across to the next pier at Thieves' Landing and jumped in only to instantly die. Why does Rockstar take the swimming aspect and then go backwards? If it's about the fact that you have guns, then give some sort of penalty for going in the water and make you wait until you're dry or something.

I like the random requests though. Driving through and someone asks you something. I didn't what one guy said but I went over to him and got off my horse only for him to run and jump on it. I was going to lasso him off but I happened to not switch it over to the lasso and shot him in the back with the revolver. I didn't get a bounty on my head for it so that was good. I think he was asking for my horse to get back to town though and wasn't trying to steal it because after I got back on my horse it didn't have max stamina. Also when you hear gunfire and you don't see a blue dot, don't worry about it, because I found the people shooting, shot one in the head that was shooting at the other only to find out it was a law man and I got a bounty for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    haasinhampton

For some reason I hated the game gun. However I was in love with the original red dead game. There is nothing like the western genre of game, its just so interesting and unique. I also played call of juarez and have to say I even liked that better than gun. I will probably pick up redemption when it hits the $20 price point.
    Autobots. Roll out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only thing i don't like about this game is that you can't horse race, only in a couple missions can you race and that's it. I do enjoy Poker and Liars Dice though, great game.