Thread: What would have happened if they had ported SF Alpha 2 to Genesis?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What would have happened if they had ported SF Alpha 2 to Genesis?

Would it even be possible? It looks like it was hard to port it for the SNES
    What's up with islands? Get more land.
    What's up with deserts? Get less sand.

Strawberry (Level 2) emceelokey's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The SNES was basically dead by the time Alpha 2 came out on it, so the Genesis was definitely dead by that time. If anything, Sega would have put it on 32x or Sega Cd but both of those were dead and the Saturn was already out and Sega moved on.

I think Nintendo actually publiished the SNES version though.

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Now, what about the N64?

Wasn't it good at pushing sprites? Killer Instinct was a 2D game (pre-rendered CGI sprites) and that turned out "ok".

Wasn't there a 2D fighting game (or beat 'em up) for it that stayed in Japan?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Damaramu View Post
    Now, what about the N64?

Wasn't it good at pushing sprites? Killer Instinct was a 2D game (pre-rendered CGI sprites) and that turned out "ok".

Wasn't there a 2D fighting game (or beat 'em up) for it that stayed in Japan?
    I recall hearing of a "Rakuga Kids" which didn't get a release in the USA.
    Also, the N64 had the Mortal Kombat Trilogy game.

I think that for some reason devvers were put off on the idea of making 2D N64 Fighters for some reason - in comparison, there were more (mostly shoddy and forgettable compared to Saturn or Playstation ones) 3D fighters. Possibly just people jumped on the "2D is dead" bandwagon (and Capcom didn't jump on N64 until near the tail-end of it's lifespan, and just released Playstation ports on it.)

As for the Sega CD doing Alpha 2 - I do not really think it'd have been that easy. The Sega CD's power didn't seem to do much for improving NeoGeo ports over their Genesis originals, after all. And the Sega CD by itself didn't add additional color to the system.

That being said, other give the Sega CD much of anything after "Final Fight" was ported? In a way, it's kinda sad wondering how a Street Fighter port might've worked on the CD System, only for it to not happen

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, without the SDD-1 chip, SFA2 probably wouldn't have happened on the SNES (it should be noted that if you play the game without the chip, say through a Game Genie, it is completely playable but the graphics are screwed up). The SDD-1 chip probably compressed the graphics by at least a factor of 2. If the Genesis had SFA2, it would probably have had to have a similar sort of graphics decompression scheme.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

It was a craptacular port that shouldn't have been made to begin with. Awful sound, freezing before rounds started, smushed out graphics... I'm not sure WHAT made Capcom try to pull it off. The port felt rushed and gimped.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

while a technical achievment, sf2a on the snes isnt a very good game. nintendo was simply squeezing a few more drops on to the snes as it was fading from the us market by releasing a super famicom game from an established franchise that required little localizing.

the genesis was further down the road of obsolescence after 95 in japan and the us than the snes, so any games released for the systems wouldve been given meager budgets. sfa2 on the genesis with a meager budget woudlve been complete garbage

but had a sfa2 genesis project been given the same resources as ssfii, i suspect a nuetered but far more playable port than the snes wouldve been possible.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think Capcom published it in Japan and Nintendo published it in other territories. Kind of like Mega Man 6 at the end of the NES's life.

IIRC, the SNES version was using a special chip to help with the massive decompression of graphic data, and it was a pretty huge cart to begin with(40 Mb I think?). Genesis wouldn't have had access to that, and with its limited color palette, I doubt the game would have been a pretty sight.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It was 32 megabits. But yeah, it would have been bad on the Genesis. Even at 32 megs with the S-DD1 compression chip, the SNES/SFC versions have terrible sound (the voices are the worst of any 16-bit Street Fighter, I'd say), some removed animations (for example, a lot of ending animations have been removed, and Sakura's middle kick is the same as her weak kick), and loadtimes (!).

I do think SFA2/SFZ2 is a phenomenal achievement considering how much of the game remains, and it's still very playable and decent, but on the Genesis, it may well have been a disaster.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, why not Sega CD? Isn't that kinda why they made it in the first place?