Thread: $20 for a 10lbs. Media Mail Package?!!?!?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

Default $20 for a 10lbs. Media Mail Package?!!?!?

Some help particularly from you Washington staters. I just ordered a 19 of Nintendo Power issues of of eBay. Well, the guy wants $20 for Priority, $20 for Media, and $17 for UPS.

It just cost $12 to ship about 50 issues from Vermont, via media.

The guy has been answering emails every three days, and now says his "cousin" is shipping them from Maryland, Washington but the auction is listed as being in Oregon..."shipping to be calculated at the end of the auction" Apparently, shipping is a joke and it sounds like I'm not the only one getting irked by shipping costs.

Well hi-di-ho I don't see any Maryland, Washington. There's a Marysville.... again. Even so, I got to the USPS website, and punch in a weight of 10 lbs. Sure enough, $20 comes up in the Priority spot, with $5 being in the Media mail spot. WTF? I don't care what backwater town you might be from, shipping shouldn't be any different wether you live in a swamp or you live in the city....

So, am I being led around? Should I pay the $17 for UPS and *hope* his "cousin" ships it faster than he replies to emails or should I just take a negative and find a better collection of mags for a different price?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

$20 for Priority and $20 for Media Rate? Sounds like a typo on his part. I'd give him the opportunity to clarify. If he sticks to those prices I'd tell him to go piss up a rope. If you want to try to keep from getting the neg then I MIGHT offer to pay a very small amount to cover his fees and you both part ways.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    VGKYOURMOM

Auction probably ended lower than seller expected, so he is trying to make it up with shipping charges. Figures teh buyer won't know the difference.

Either that or the seller is a nube.Do you have a link to the auction?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Priority Mail rates are determined by zipcode but Media Mail rates are only by weight. It costs the same amount to send a Media Mail package from anywhere in the U.S. to anywhere in the U.S.. According to the main branch post office in Portland, Oregon you can't send magazines via Media Mail because they have advertising in them. I've sent hundreds that way but they opened up a package of old National Geographic magazines we were sending from my work and they wouldn't send it Media Mail only Bound Printed Matter for twice as much. My sister just took it back, went to another post office and didn't have a problem.

y-bot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3529583627

That's the thing, it was BIN and I used the BIN...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    VGKYOURMOM

OOh you got an issue #1, how long till you relist that.

Nice BIN grab...still not woth $20 shipping though.

y-bot, they actually opened the package? My post office considers me a "regular" So they don't even question me anymore when I ship stuff media mail.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only problem that I see is that the auction does clearly state that shipping is $20. I've been burnt as well in the past for not noticing listed shpping fees and pay "special" attention to it nowadays.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

Quote Originally Posted by Griking
    The only problem that I see is that the auction does clearly state that shipping is $20. I've been burnt as well in the past for not noticing listed shpping fees and pay "special" attention to it nowadays.

Hmm? I see "item price" as $20 and shipping is still listed at $0.00

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Whenever this happens, I always E-mail the seller and say:
    "Sorry, I have to be honest, I didn't think shipping would be that much, I went to the USPS.com website, and it said media mail would be $5.00 shipping, which is why I purchased this item. If you would like, I can paypal you $3.00 to cover the listing and final value fee's and you can relist. This way we can also avoid any hurtful feedback. Let me know, thanx!"

Usually they'll either grumble and take the $3.00, or decide to send it for the REAL price of shipping.
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

maybe this cack means washington DC.... it' s kinda near maryland, but still, I'd tell him to blow me about that $20 shipping fee? Is he including handling or something? Is he shipping for a mail boxes ect? if so, tell him to get his ass to the post office and send it.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just shipped out a bunch of magazines, and even thou you're not suppose to use media, I did for some auctions. Shipping on 19 issues of Nintendo powers probably shouldn't cost any more than $5. I listed mine all with $7 fees, which covered my cost for a sturdy shipping box, and cost of DC & Ins. I also sold a lot of 79 issues of Nintendo powers, and I shipped them BPM, which cost a little bit more, because I had to break it down to 15LB packages for that rate. Too much work to do it that way I think, but shipping on five 10LB-14LB packages, of 79 issues of Nintendo power, plus some bonus items, books etc, I packed in as well, was only around $34 to ship. I think his quote's a little off.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sylentwulf
    Whenever this happens, I always E-mail the seller and say:
    "Sorry, I have to be honest, I didn't think shipping would be that much, I went to the USPS.com website, and it said media mail would be $5.00 shipping, which is why I purchased this item. If you would like, I can paypal you $3.00 to cover the listing and final value fee's and you can relist. This way we can also avoid any hurtful feedback. Let me know, thanx!"

Usually they'll either grumble and take the $3.00, or decide to send it for the REAL price of shipping.
    Very good solution! I see the seller only has a 40 feedback so I definitely would give him/her a chance to respond to your email. I have a feeling he/she is not used to shipping items.

Danny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Achika
    Quote Originally Posted by Griking

Hmm? I see "item price" as $20 and shipping is still listed at $0.00

Oops, you're right. I always mis-read that since they're one above the other.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

>)

(well, that should be the smiling devil face)

After two emails telling him that the USPS website states 10lbs shouldn't be more than $5, his "cousin" went down to the Post Office and reweighed and reasked for the shipping prices. Apparently they weren't giving him media mail in the first place and they had no idea that there was the Media option.

I now have my mags coming for a total sum of $28.50

(PS he suggested that exact senario Sylentwulf, but I'd rather have the mags)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    VGKYOURMOM

good work, nice deal on those mags then.