Thread: Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love (PS2/Wii)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love (PS2/Wii)

So, semi-trying to create some hype for this game here (although IGN does it well for me).

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/108/1080744p1.html

A really great review, spanning four pages, which doesn't occur very often. Nevermind the browsing to the final page for the summary and the scores (which are surprisingly high), the reviewer have really done a thorough job with this review.

Support NIS America and buy the game for the PS2 (English voices, English text on one disc, Japanese voices, English text on a second disc), or for the Wii (English voices, English text)

The game is cheap aswell, $49.99 for the PS2 version, $34.99 for the Wii version.

And no, this is not an ad, and I'm not employed by NIS America.

Thanks for reading!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dont buy this game
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just got done writing about this game! XD
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Cloud121D
    PSN
    Cloud121
    Steam
    Cloud121D

I bought this on release day this past week. Had it on reserve for a couple months. Unfortunately I might have to return it, as I miscalculated my spending on this paycheck, not too mention getting a new car this week.

I'm just afraid of it being a very limited print run, hence why I'm a bit hesitant to return it. Though Amazon still has Lunar PSP Limited still available. Think I should be okay returning it, then picking it in a couple weeks to a month? It's the PS2 version.
    My Game Collection
    "I am only what you see me as." - Obsidian Rose

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What about the Wii version?
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I believe the PS2 one comes with Limited edition while Wii version doesn't. I did preorder the PS2 version. Waiting it to come this week. Stupid bilingual law.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud121 View Post
    I bought this on release day this past week. Had it on reserve for a couple months. Unfortunately I might have to return it, as I miscalculated my spending on this paycheck, not too mention getting a new car this week.

I'm just afraid of it being a very limited print run, hence why I'm a bit hesitant to return it. Though Amazon still has Lunar PSP Limited still available. Think I should be okay returning it, then picking it in a couple weeks to a month? It's the PS2 version.
    Impossible to say, I'm afraid. It most definitely won't top any charts. I think people are rather hesistant about buying Playstation 2 games these days, let alone niche games like this, which hasn't gotten a localization before now even though it's been out in Japan for five years.

I think it's kind of the same scenario with the Lunar remake. This is what, the third or fourth remake of the game, and the remake of the Sega CD version on the Playstation was a sleeper hit for sure. I think alot of people who have played the Working Designs remake won't be buying the PSP version, due to the fact that Working Designs / GaijinWorks / Vic Ireland isn't associated with it. I mean, if you've played a Working Designs game you will know what I mean. You can't go from a WD localization to a localization made by whoever else. Once you go WD, you never go back (or forward in this matter).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got this game on release day (ps2 version of course), but I've only played about an hour so far. Still, I really like what I've played. I've wished for a translated Sakura Taisen ever since 1996. I still hope that this release somehow opens the door for a translation of a future remake, but I'm grateful for this one.

By the way, the prices here are $39.99 for the PS2 version and $29.99 for the Wii version. Worth every penny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    PentiumMMX

I want to get it, but first, I need to bet myself a PS2 again...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

With the concern with the limited run of these niche' titles, particularly on PS2, I have to wonder to what value it is to look at the games this way? Considering this game has no hype, no buzz about it, will it retain any value or will it just be a forgotten gem for a (basically) dead console?

I'm probably gonna run out and grab a copy some time in the next week or so (even considering I've almost totally written of NIS as a publisher). It seems pretty easy to get a copy from a gamestop (ugh).

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

I'm surprised at this game getting such a positive reaction. I saw it's IGN article the other day, and they gave it a 9. I wouldn't think a title like this would ever rank that high on a "mainstream" outlet like them. I'd like to pick this up sometime.

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't waste any time picking this up on PS2. It will most likely be one of the last titles released for the system and the one of the only ones that isn't an EA Sports related release. I checked out Amazon and Gamestop's release calendars and aside from Madden and NCAA football, the only thing on the horizon is a LoTR game. There might be budget/shovelware titles that drop but neither of those companies have any listings for such.

My cousin considered the Wii version because of the cheaper price till I mentioned to him that the Wii is English language only. I might still pick up the Wii version at some point if I can find it on the cheap.
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flashback2012 View Post
    My cousin considered the Wii version because of the cheaper price till I mentioned to him that the Wii is English language only.
    Well done! The American voices are h-o-r-r-i-b-l-e.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F5ImyUMbLQ

Sounds like she's saying "Soccer Wars!"

Great Puma (Level 12) Chainsaw_Charlie's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I jumped and ordered this from Amazon but the seller cancelled it on me
    My rotating want list http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101550

Your television doesn't care how angry you are with it. Turn it off and find something better to do with your time.-Beserker

Strawberry (Level 2) Arcade_Ness's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I actually enjoy the English voice overs, wierd I know. I got the Limited Edition PS2 version from Rosenqueen. I'm a big fan of the series, so I'm loving playing through this game for the second time(I own the original JPN version). On my first playthrough I used a walkthrough that translated some of the dialog, but unfortantely stopped around the halfway mark. So I'm glad I have the opportunity to understand what was going on with the story, now.

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I just picked one up during my lunch break. A local Gamestop had 3 sealed copies, so I had them hold one for me. Can't wait to check it out!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wink

I received my copy sometime last week. Here it is, in all its factory-sealed glory!
    (yeah, I have not started the game yet due to time constraints BUT I will soon!)

I got it from Play-Asia for $44.90. If any of you guys haven't got a chance to buy this yet, you can order it from HERE.
    Last edited by GrandAmChandler; 05-14-2010 at 09:52 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSGTheSportsGamer
    PSN
    DOAsaturn

Yeah, play-asia seems to be one of the last online outlets to offer it new.

I think I'm stocked up enough. I ordered one on Amazon a couple weeks ago - it was their last new copy - and I mistakingly used free super saver. The box was crushed in the corner, so I decided to open it. I wanted a sealed copy though, so I ordered one from Gamestop and it came in a nice box, no dents. My Amazon copy and all the goodies inside are fine, the game is still sealed in a regular PS2 case (diff. cover). I just haven't been able to play it yet with my schedule.

Usually the trend is that games like these on consoles that are fading demand a pretty high $ later on. Unless I'm in desperate need of those high dollars though, I'm fine with keeping it in my collection, I don't collect to profit.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Just finished "Sakura Wars V: So Long, My Love" this week (Feb. 19th?). I had a spectacular time. Worth every penny... and I bought both the PS2 and Wii editions, the second with the hardcover art book! I played through this on the Wii, and the English voices are very good in my opinion. There's plenty of voice acting even if the whole game isn't voiced. The English dub was handled by Bang! Zoom! Entertainment and if you like the likes of Johnny Yong Bosch and Laura Bailey, you'll like how this sounds.

I must say though, the last two chapters of the game had like seven or more battles combined. As each battle takes what seems to be an hour each, and I had to repeat two of the battles about three times, it felt like I was fighting an army... which is good, because I was! But that certainly was a lot of fighting compared to the other chapters where you usually have two battles.

I managed to get the ending for Cheiron (Though the game said I had the most points with Diana, you can select whom you wish.), and after thinking about it, I plan on going for all six endings. There's just so much to see in this game, and you can't see it all with one playthrough.

And if you have finished the game, or just want to see more, don't forget to enter these codes into "The Free and Easy Day in N.Y." section from the main menu to unlock a lot of interesting extras. That way you can at least learn what happened in Sakura Wars V: Episode 0.