Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    Point is, never let your opponent hit 5 bars before Phoenix is dead. I will be surprised if Phoenix becomes part of high level play because smart players will always end a combo with a snap.
    Absolutely true. Still, the first time you lose an entire team to Dark Phoenix level three X factor CHIP DAMAGE... Man. I had to laugh. Absolutely insane. At first it SEEMS like the most broken, stupid thing in the world... And then you kill her with one magic series combo into DHC.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Clockw0rk can do with her, though. That guy is probably my favorite player out there, and if anyone can make her work at high levels long-term, it's him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

I'm good with level 3 XFactors being really damn good. If everyone is going to have a 100% kill with it, then I fail to really see the problem. And I mean, it's one character, just get the hell out of their way, or XFactor yourself and just block reasonably well to avoid chip. It worked out in Xmen vs Street Fighter to have everyone have an infinite better than it worked out in Marvel vs Capcom 1 or 2 where only a few characters were good and the rest were just garbage, if you ask me.

Plus let's see them Xfactor once they're in the Akuma infinite :P
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

It's been awhile since I've visited these forums ^_^

I'm glad there's a decent amount of people playing this game. Starting out was rough, especially since I was never all that great at MvC2, but I've got a much better feel for this game now. I'm using

Felicia (Rolling Buckler)
    Captain America (Shield Slash)
    Dr Doom (Hidden Missiles)

At first it sounds like a bit of an unorthodox team, but it's been working out really well for me. Originally I wanted the team to be built around Felicia, but even though she's on point, the team is a bit more built around Captain America. Rolling Buckler assist works wonders when combined Captain America's cartwheel. Captain America causes the most damage mid-screen and is quite limited in the corner, however I've been using Hidden Missiles' "secret" OTG capabilities to maximize damage output in the corner (I'm eventually going to post a video of the combo).

Eventually I want to get Captain America on point, but it seems like I can set the tone of the match much better with Felicia. Her command grab is incredible, and works so well with Hidden Missiles. A lot of people like to back away from them, but wave dashing up to them and grabbing them before the missiles hit leads to some big damage. Not to mention her Kitty Helper is phenomenal, although it takes some getting used to. Also, Captain America's Shield Slash hits twice, so the second delayed hit can keep me save when using her Cat Crawl, although I have to time it perfectly. A lot of people try to punish it, but the second shield saves me.

A lot of people like to sit back with Doom and shoot beams, but I actually love his offensive potential; the Doom loop can cause big damage, and not to mention his corner combos can cause some big damage.

All in all, I absolutely love this game, although I'm still working on my fundamentals. There's a lot of things I still need to get used to, but I'd love to play anyone here. Just send a friend request to XBL: Cannon Spook

Also, I haven't had major problems against Sentinel, although Amaterasu can give me issues due to the small hitbox. Felicia's bnb doesn't connect on the damn dog, so I need to find a better combo I can do against her.

Insert Coin (Level 0) KEVMAN569's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So my Wesker/Skrull/Sentinel has treated me well since the game came out but I thought I would challenge myself to not use Sentinel as a crutch and make my own original team. I came up with:

C. Viper (Thunder Knuckle)
    Dante (Jam Session)
    Tron (Gustaff Fire)

Pretty rush down oriented team and pretty simple to use. C. Viper is on point, have Tron come in when you are in range and you can do some nice mix-ups from there, and Dante is my "get the hell off me" assist (that's one of his win quotes if you didn't catch that). Took it online today and it was laggy but I definitely got the hang of this team. I might trade in Magneto for C. Viper if C. Viper turns out to be a bad character.

Insert Coin (Level 0) lookfun78's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Finally the two characters that was to come out a while ago have come out for download. Now these two are ok, but nothing can compare to x-23 the best to come out so far. If you think there are ones much better that her prove it xbox live name wow3

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by lookfun78 View Post
    Finally the two characters that was to come out a while ago have come out for download. Now these two are ok, but nothing can compare to x-23 the best to come out so far. If you think there are ones much better that her prove it xbox live name wow3
    Plenty of better characters, dude. She's pretty good, but once you figure out her shenanigans she's pretty easy to deal with. Add me on XBL.

Shuma is fun. Jill is way too hard to figure out. Not bad additions, though.

I've been messing with c. Viper, and I think she's going to be middle tier in the end, but right now its stupidly easy to abuse her "focus" ability. No one knows how to deal with it right now. She has ok damage, some abusable tools, and great assists. Burn kick and seismic hammer are awesome.

I've been playing c.viper (burn kick), dormammu (dark hole), sentinel (drones). NOTHING BUT GIMMICKS. burn kick looks like it might cross up, so calling her assist with dormammu on point with the opponent in the corner leads to easy damage: I don't know why this works, but it totally does ninety percent of the time. Flame carpet, burn kick assist, dorm teleport into magic series into purification into chaotic flame. Like a charm!

It's not a tourney team (I don't think... I suck at this game), but I've gotten some rage quits and hate mail. Good enough for me!

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    It's not a tourney team (I don't think... I suck at this game), but I've gotten some rage quits and hate mail. Good enough for me!
    PM sent.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

Quote Originally Posted by KEVMAN569 View Post
    So my Wesker/Skrull/Sentinel has treated me well since the game came out but I thought I would challenge myself to not use Sentinel as a crutch and make my own original team. I came up with:

C. Viper (Thunder Knuckle)
    Dante (Jam Session)
    Tron (Gustaff Fire)

Pretty rush down oriented team and pretty simple to use. C. Viper is on point, have Tron come in when you are in range and you can do some nice mix-ups from there, and Dante is my "get the hell off me" assist (that's one of his win quotes if you didn't catch that). Took it online today and it was laggy but I definitely got the hang of this team. I might trade in Magneto for C. Viper if C. Viper turns out to be a bad character.
    I love C.Viper in this game. At first I was using her along with Felicia, but I couldn't get them to mesh too well at all. My idea was to set up the unblockable with Rolling Slide and Burn Kick assist (and vice versa when Viper is out) but it was odd to time and hard to combo off of. However, I definitely did learn a decent amount with Viper, such as her box loop combo, which does pretty great damage and pushes them to the corner. You probably already know about it, but just in case, here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esxf_PDCKnY

At first I found it a tad hard to get in with Viper, but I totally overlooked her Focus Attack; I really think it could have helped me play as her. Also, I can do repeated Seismos, but only when on the left side of the screen I can do like 3 in a row on the opposite side. All in all though, I'm happy to see that C. Viper is being used. Good luck with her!

As for the DLC, I find Shuma-Gorath and Jill to be quite fun. I personally think both characters have a ton of potential, although Jill's will be hard to achieve. In order to do a large amount of damage with her, you have to do some bread and butter combos that take a higher degree of execution than the typical BnB. Not to mention, in her "Rage" mode Level 3 hyper, it's incredibly difficult to do that flip kick/somersault kick loop without canceling into a backdash. After I work on a bit with the current characters I like, I might give her another shot.

Anyway, I changed up my teams. Here's my main one:

Felicia (Rolling Slide)
    Wolverine (Berserker Barrage)
    Dr Doom (Molecular Shield)

I made it so I can combo into Felicia and Wolverine's Level 3 Hyper Combos with the help of the assists in the corner. Not to mention, I think Felicia needs Dr Doom on her team, considering all of his assists are damn good. I love Doom in this game. He may seem like a keepaway character, but he has some sick offensive potential with his loop combos. Felicia is an incredible rushdown character, and I'm just waiting for a pro player to blow someone up on stream with her. Justin Wong used her at WNF a couple weeks ago, but didn't do anything special.

My second team is

Captain America (Charging Star)
    Dr Doom (Hidden Missiles)
    Sentinel (Sentinel Force missiles)

This is more of a fanboy team because Captain America is my favorite superhero, and I figured he needs all the help he can get, so I gave him two of the best assists in the game to give him the boost. Not to mention, I have the Hidden Missiles combo in the corner I mentioned above.

I'd love to get some games in with any of you guys. Honestly, I have a lot to work on; I lose way too much, even in ranked o_O I think my record is like 158-108 atm. I guess it's nice that it's a winning record, but it's nothing compared to my SSFIV online win percentage, which as in the high 80%. Then again, they are two completely different games.

BTW, I finished all the missions, including Jill and Shuma's. Definitely gave me a better understanding of what certain characters can do. I would suggest trying to do one character's mission set a day to anyone who has execution problems or wants a better understanding of characters you have trouble against.
    Last edited by Nirvana; 03-18-2011 at 03:17 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

I've gotten the Viper loop pretty much down, but unfortunately my time abusing focus with her with the locals is over. They've learned to mash "C" if Viper starts her focus, which ends up with her getting thrown. Now it's pretty much what it'll be for now on: a gimmick to toss out when they don't expect it. Oh well.

I've been using her on point, but I might move her to anchor because she's not meshing well in the DHC department. The most useful DHC with her is a couple of loops into launcher, air combo (they're on the ground in the corner now), L Seismic Hammer into Burst Time DHC into Dormammu... Floaty homing ball hyper, whatever it's called. I can't find a use for any of her DHC hypers outside of that particular combo, though I'm still trying.

Also, I think I'm dropping Sentinel. He's actually not all the great if your opponent knows what he's doing. Hulk though... Great damage, hyper armor, the safest and most damaging level 1 hyper in the game, and a couple of weird and tricky crossups.

So, the new team is Hulk on point (Gamma Charge anti-air), Dorm (Dark Hole), Viper (Burn Kick). We'll see how that goes.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

I've been factoring Hulk into my main team, being Haggar/Hulk/Sent. Sent is hard to drop with Sent Forces assist and XFC3.

Haven't played too much though. Have to admit... not really digging the game as much as I had hoped.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been playing with Trish a lot recently. There's dozens of nasty combos you can do with her, and her y assist is a great hit-confirm for starting launcher combos.

Whiffing boomerang will kill you, though.
    And don't bring up that stupid girlie Aladdin rip off! Shantea?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    I've gotten the Viper loop pretty much down, but unfortunately my time abusing focus with her with the locals is over. They've learned to mash "C" if Viper starts her focus, which ends up with her getting thrown. Now it's pretty much what it'll be for now on: a gimmick to toss out when they don't expect it. Oh well.

I've been using her on point, but I might move her to anchor because she's not meshing well in the DHC department. The most useful DHC with her is a couple of loops into launcher, air combo (they're on the ground in the corner now), L Seismic Hammer into Burst Time DHC into Dormammu... Floaty homing ball hyper, whatever it's called. I can't find a use for any of her DHC hypers outside of that particular combo, though I'm still trying.

Also, I think I'm dropping Sentinel. He's actually not all the great if your opponent knows what he's doing. Hulk though... Great damage, hyper armor, the safest and most damaging level 1 hyper in the game, and a couple of weird and tricky crossups.

So, the new team is Hulk on point (Gamma Charge anti-air), Dorm (Dark Hole), Viper (Burn Kick). We'll see how that goes.
    Nice. I actually agree with you big time when it comes to Hulk. I truly do believe he might be better than Sentinel. Not to mention, he gives me more trouble than facing Sentinel online...although I guess I do have to consider the fact that not a lot of people really try to learn Sentinel; they just learn his Bnb and hope to hit one of his armored normals.

Quote Originally Posted by Famidrive-16 View Post
    I've been playing with Trish a lot recently. There's dozens of nasty combos you can do with her, and her y assist is a great hit-confirm for starting launcher combos.

Whiffing boomerang will kill you, though.
    Trish is a character I've been meaning to learn how to use for quite some time. I'm actually about to head into training mode right now and figure out some of her basics. I do love the fact how she can set up traps and totally throw off the opponent. Definitely going to try and build a team around her right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvana View Post
    Nice. I actually agree with you big time when it comes to Hulk. I truly do believe he might be better than Sentinel. Not to mention, he gives me more trouble than facing Sentinel online...although I guess I do have to consider the fact that not a lot of people really try to learn Sentinel; they just learn his Bnb and hope to hit one of his armored normals.
    Yeah, I wondered about that. I was specifically thinking about some kind of fly/unfly system being in there, and while nothing exactly like it has surfaced yet, I saw this link on SRK today. Those combos aren't even all that difficult, either. When some dude actually figures out the REAL BnB for high level Sentinel, we'll all be in serious trouble.

Sentinel is MVC3 vanilla Sagat. A bunch of middling players abuse his easy stuff, and you learn to get around it reliably, and then you play someone who actually uses him properly and find out that you don't know anything about the match up. I'm still going Hulk because his shenanigans are astounding and his damage is great, but it looks like high level Sentinel is going to be trouble. Then again, robots usually are.

I love Hulks weird instant overhead with his anti air gamma charge A > C. If I lock them down with Dark Hole assist, it's practically free, goes into a full air combo, and builds decent meter. His jump C cross up is godlike too. So yeah: Hulk is great. Again, once people atop instinctively blocking low when they're stuck in Dark Hole I'll have to figure out a better mix up, but for now? GIMMICKS ALL DAY.

My friend and fellow GRAPSF member Slappy has picked up Haggar, and my new challenge is learning to get around his bullshit. That pipe is stupidly good.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Pipe's the bomb.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

So the game got patched today, surprising me with a nerf to Sentinels health. Specifically, his health is now equal to Viper. Sentinel is still dangerous, but you can kill him faster.

Event Hubs and SRK have the list of changes up if anyone is interested.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

When I heard about this patch, I honestly didn't know what to think. At first I thought, "I don't think he deserved THAT huge of a nerf..." But it's exactly like you said; the players who actually knew how to use him likely made him a force to be reckoned with. I was never able to play one of those players though. Also, all of the streams with the U.S. pro players (Wednesday Night Fights, Winter Brawl, Marvel Madness) never truly displayed Sentinel as a broken character. I mean, we saw the shenanigans that he can do in X-Factor, but he can still do those things. What I got from those streams is

- Tron's Gustaff Fire assist is insanely good
    - Wolverine's rushdown is arguably second to none
    - Dark Phoenix is ridiculously good, especially in the hands of someone who can block correctly
    - She-Hulk has some setups that are almost impossible to get out of
    - Spencer is an incredible anchor

Yet none of those things got nerfed, although Spencer's corner loop was removed. Ah well. I was glad that my main team (to my knowledge) wasn't affected by this. Not to mention, Sentinel's Drones assist is still really damn good. I'll definitely still use it on my alternate team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Dormammu's jump B now does 70,000 instead of 50,000, so that's dope. That's about all that changed for me other than I can kill Sentinel a little faster.

Wednesday Night Fights is pretty much the best, by the way

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRiwBwJLLrQ

Sent's health wasn't the problem. The problem is and has always been XFC. Either make it so everyone gets the same buff from it or nerf Sent's massive 220% damage increase at level 3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

Many pros don't like Level 3 X-Factor, and I agree with them. Although it's still early, some things they should consider is

- Decreasing the amount of time it lasts
    - Nerf the damage/speed
    - Make it have the same properties regardless of how many characters you have

The ability to do it during blockstrings and extend combos is definitely a huge benefit, although I think the damage can get ridiculous at times.

Also, I agree, G-Boobie. Wednesday Night Fights is awesome. I always stay up and watch it all the way through.

http://www.justin.tv/offcast#/w/999870480

In fact, it's on right now. Gotta love UltraDavid's commentary.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

XFC was a great idea but it desperately needs at least one of the changes Nirvana stated. I think even with all of the above, Sent will still have an advantage just from being able to do HSF XFC Dash Plasma Ball from full screen, for one.