Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is your family supportive of your collecting?

Strawberry (Level 2) Game Freak's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My parents generally disapprove because they dont like me "bringing more crap into the house" but as long as I clean my room every Friday to the extent there is a visible emptiness on my shelves then they will take me out to fleas thrifts and yard sales the following weekend

Insert Coin (Level 0) armonigann's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My family is very supportive! There have been times where I was gonna sell but they woud'nt let me!! My family rocks.
    Im looking for Bonk for the NES. No need to pm me though, unless you would accept bits of string for tender.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think my family are especially bothered. It takes up a bit of room since I'm at Uni and everything is in a closet in my Mum's room, but she doesn't seem to mind. Also, every time I sort through it all and go to throw something out (like a controller box) she asks if I'm sure I want to etc.

My sisters generally have no opinion on it either, they like to play certain games so it's nice for them to have access to them.

My friends... depends on the friends. Some I don't even bother to mention to, it would be a non-starter. Then again, these are the sort of people who spend £250 on a handbag so... Others think it's mildly cool and get excited when they see I have an older game from their childhood.

I have some gamer friends who are only really interested in the latest thing and if a game doesn't have HD graphics, it's automatically crap. A few others are more like minded with myself and will happily play/talk about older/any games. Thankfully one the girls I'm moving in with come July is like this!
    I reject your reality and substitute it for one of my own!

Insert Coin (Level 0) ConsoleFreek's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My wife and I go together to Garage sales and second hand shops.
    I used to play video games, but then They started putting voices in the games which told me to do bad things.

Now I just skip the video games and do the bad things.

Insert Coin (Level 0) bigred5687's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bigred5687

My wife is ok with it as long as i keep it into my one room in our house and if I can still pay the bills.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My girlfriend is a collector herself -- some games, but mainly DVDs and action figures -- so no problems there. We go out together all the time looking for stuff, and since we collect different things, we don't argue too much about who found what first. My family (dad, mom, sister) are all gamers, and they've always been extremely supportive (and in the case of my sister, jealous). In fact, they've helped me add to my collection more than once in the past.

On the other hand, my girlfriend's parents are not so supportive of her collecting. They call her stuff 'junk' and consider all of it a big waste of money. Now that she's living with me, she doesn't have to deal with that anymore, not to mention that her collection has increased at least 5-fold since she moved out. Between my collection and hers, I might need to get a larger house someday...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

My mother and sister don't really care either way, but they just don't want me to spend so much that I end up in financial trouble.

I met my wife on these very boards so, as you can imagine, that we're both very supportive of each other.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm, my mom is indifferent towards it, unless it interferes with my college work (which it does, but she doesn't know that!) My dad is for it, because he plays my NES from time to time. Everyone is respectful, and my mom won't throw anything in my bedroom out.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Question

Quote Originally Posted by HurricaneAndrew View Post
    My father thinks it's pointless, but he could care less.
    Quote Originally Posted by SEGA View Post
    My sister plays Aladdin on the Genesis and Mario Kart on N64 when she comes to visit. She could care less about the rest.
    How much less could they care, exactly?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I don't live at home anymore, but when I did, my parents were indifferent towards collecting. If anything, it made my mom's relationship with the Post Office lady that much stronger, they are on a first name basis now and very friendly.

Now that I live on my own, my girlfriend hates it and always has. She mainly hates it because of the time spent doing it, not from a financial standpoint. It's all been funded through reselling so I'm not in debt or anything.

Though I admit her jokes about burning them all in a fire one day are quite old.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

totally, my cat shingalana

loves DC games best

(that's all the family I have btw)
    Last edited by tom; 04-12-2010 at 02:43 PM.

Retro game console modder bacteria's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My wife is fine, in fact she comes along with me to car boot sales to buy my stuff. She buys her books, I buy my consoles and games.

Probably helps that I don't pay a lot for games, i'm not after sealed and pristine versions, any condition is fine as long as they play ok!

Strawberry (Level 2) allyourblood's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Everyone in my family is supportive of my collecting. Every member of my family has purchased video game stuff on my behalf at some time or other. My wife doesn't mind the collecting or spending one bit, but she doesn't like that it's starting to spill outside of my studio and gather in other areas of the house. She listens politely when I come home and blab on about whatever amazing find I acquired, and she buys me a new game or two now and then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My wife "deals" with it. Supportive would be too much of a word tho...

Not a single person in my family is or has ever been supportive of my hobby, except for my 5 year old daughter of course...because she likes games too

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My wife doesn't mind.

Obviously, she doesn't want all the stuff stacked/displayed in the living room as if she's married to an eight year old, but as long as I keep it in another room, it doesn't bother her.

She doesn't care that I tie up money in it, because it's not really "spending" money. If you need the cash back, you can always sell things. It's just a playable savings account.

She doesn't play games at all, but the collecting doesn't bother her.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My wife accepts that having tons of stuff around is just......what comes with being married to me, I guess. I work in a bike shop, and I have so many bikes that we had to buy a bigger house to house them all. Last year I had 20...I'm "down" to 12 right now. Games are on every floor of the house. Retro is upstairs spare "office"...Atari in the living room...all the last and current gen modern in the rec room of doom. My 8 year old? I'm sure he figures that EVERYONE'S house has literally hundreds of games to play!! It's all he's ever known.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My family is ok with it they just get pissed when I leave stacks of games all over the place. I am pretty cheap so they know I don't buy anything unless its dirt cheap. My mom actually loves going to yard sales, flea markets, and thrift stores so it works out pretty well. She has even made a few pretty epic purchases for me on days I had to work and couldn't go to yard sales.

I can't change my avatar. Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    YaoIsGod

As long as I keep it all in the basement they don't mind.

Although recently my mom was looking for something in the basement and opened up the closet where I keep all my CE/LE boxes and stuff. She was not happy.
    Like free stuff? I have earned hundreds of dollars in free Amazon gift cards through Swagbucks. Check it out here! Earn 3000 points and I will give you FREE shipping the next time you buy from me!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Porksta

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Me no xbox live
    PSN
    Is down again.
    3DS Friend
    3DS. Really?

My wife doesn't really understand it but supports me most of the time. She hates the "clutter." But then other times she will call me when she finds games (like last week when she found a box of 23 NES games at a Goodwill). Basically, the money that other people spend on alcohol, cigarettes and drugs is what I spend on Video Games. That is my drug. My son loves it. He grew up thinking that having every system and game was normal. The parents have no problem with it as my Mom is a thrift store/Craigslist addict and my dad collects baseball cards (mom threatened to divorce him if he bought one more card).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sabz5150

"At least it's not crack." - The wife.
    Wants:
    Starflight Starmap and Code Wheel
    Starflight II Starmap
    Got these for sale or trade? PM ME!!!