Thread: Problems with Sega Power Base Converter on Genesis mk1 VA3 but not other revisions?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Problems with Sega Power Base Converter on Genesis mk1 VA3 but not other revisions?

I've been screwing about with my Power Base Converter lately and noticed an odd thing. On my main Genesis system (which is a non-tmss model 1, revision VA3) certain games don't like to immediately boot up in the PBC. They will come up as a solid screen/black screen and so you'd think the game is dirty but it's not that they are not working or a bad connection is being made.. Once you quickly cycle the power switch on the Genesis (sometimes more than once) then magically the game will then work without issue.

This behavior does not occur on my other Genesis systems. I also have an oddball Genesis model 1 non-tmss VA2 (oddball because from the outside there is 0 indication it's a VA2 and not a late revision) and another model 1 that has tmss (unsure of revision, didn't bother). On these systems the games will boot 100% of the time assuming they are clean, no extra dicking about needed. Seems to only occur with the VA3 rev. system.

So does anyone have a Genesis VA3, a PBC, and some Sega Master System games that can give this a test and see if they get the same results? I'm fairly certain it's not just my system (or PBC) and curious to find out what is different about the VA3 revision that could cause this minor annoyance.

Again, not ALL games do this but a lot do. Offhand I can name a few games I've had the issue with:
    Wonder Boy in Monster Land (US)
    Power Strike (US)
    Ninja Gaiden (Euro)
    Shadow Dancer (Euro)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wonder Boy in Monster Land works perfectly fine on my VA3 model 1. Perhaps the cart connector on your Genesis needs to be cleaned?
    Quote Originally Posted by starsoldier1 View Post
    GUY WAS SUPPOSE TO PLAYABLE IN THE GAME
    My collection

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nah I cleaned the system after pulling it from storage, cart slot and all. For the record the Genesis system is not modified (I use RGB for video) and the Power Base Converter is practically brand new (original owner, it's been out of the box like 3 times). I usually have a mk1 Sega CD connected but did do try with it off and got the same results. It's definitely something about this particular Genesis system, just not sure what.

I did find one auction on GG that says Wonder Boy in Monster Land does not work on the PBC, but it definitely does.. The seller might have the same issue and assume the game is incompatible or he might just be referring to it not working with standard Genesis controllers. Seems he is a member here so I'll drop him a message.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I forgot to add that I think there are different releases of Wonder Boy in Monster Land (might just be the label though), the one I have is the "Super Wonder Boy Super Monster Land" label. When I get a chance I'll try to list some other common games that are giving me this issue.