Thread: It's amazing how some games can become rare/scarce overnight

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default It's amazing how some games can become rare/scarce overnight

I've been trying to find a copy of SSX on Tour for PSP for months now and finally tracked down a new and sealed copy on ebay last week, which finally arrived today! : ) It's a game that not too long ago you could find just about anywhere for $10-15 used, and now you can hardly find it anywhere, at least in my area. Even online there are only a handful of copies at any given time. Has anyone else been after a game that was once very common, and very quickly became hard to come by?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Oh hell yes, I used to find copies of Steel Battalion for the Xbox in used game stores constantly and usually around five bucks. When I finally got the controller for the game, I went on a search for the game itself and every store was sold out. I have yet to find a copy. And I'm not really sure what the deal is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Tetris (DS) probably holds the record this generation.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Well, Its not a modern game but Power Blade 2 (NES) Is listed in the ORG as being worth $6. According to recent completed eBay listings a loose copy of the game sold for $40.

Austin

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by Slate View Post
    Well, Its not a modern game but Power Blade 2 (NES) Is listed in the ORG as being worth $6. According to recent completed eBay listings a loose copy of the game sold for $40.

Austin
    Power Blade 2 wasn't everywhere and then gone overnight. It was no where in the first place.

Alot of the Nintendo DS Nintendo published titles have experienced this. Tetris is probably the most notable one, but Pokemon Dash, Pokemon Trozei, Planet Puzzle League and a few others were all over one day, and then completely gone the next.
    Last edited by PapaStu; 04-13-2010 at 10:34 PM.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu View Post
    Power Blade 2 wasn't everywhere and then gone overnight. It was no where in the first place.

Alot of the Nintendo DS Nintendo published titles have experienced this. Tetris is probably the most notable one, but Pokemon Dash, Pokemon Trozei, Planet Puzzle League and a few others were all over one day, and then completely gone the next.
    Funny where I am from, I still see them in store. I'm not sure if it is region thing, but Nintendo release so many games consider rare in States and not here in northern neighbor. For instant "It's Mr. Pants" is consider harder to find in states and here I see them all the time at Wal-mart bargain bin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, this is totally a region by region thing. I can find Tetris DS pretty easy...still see em new from time to time...same for the other DS titles mentioned.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Same here, you can still buy Tetris DS brand new here in the UK in almost any store. But then I haven't seen Pokemon Dash in years, even second hand. I guess most chain stores have policy about how long they'll keep games on shelves past their release date, or transfer them all to one or two stores (seems that way with Gamestation)
    I reject your reality and substitute it for one of my own!

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by ScourDX View Post
    For instant "It's Mr. Pants" is consider harder to find in states and here I see them all the time at Wal-mart bargain bin.
    That's due to the fact that it was ONLY released in Canada though. A bit different than a widely-distributed title.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm View Post
    That's due to the fact that it was ONLY released in Canada though. A bit different than a widely-distributed title.
    It was sold through Walmart in the US. Still, fairly limited distribution.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    It was sold through Walmart in the US. Still, fairly limited distribution.
    Huh. That must have been something that happened later on, cause I remember the Canada-only distribution being a "big thing" at the time. FWIW, I've never seen it in a store, ever. Maybe it was something they brought down here after it didn't sell well there?
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu View Post

Amazon still has Trozei in stock, still $35 though. The original version of Lumines is a pretty good example of this as well, everywhere had tons of copies of this and then someone found out you could use it to hack the firmware and it vanished. Also Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops. Even was a GH title briefly, then became super rare for some reason. Phoenix Wright did this too. The first one got reprinted a bunch until the point it was incredibly easy to find, it was even part of one of the GameStop Gamedays sales and my local store had at least 25 copies left that they marked as used afterwards. Then it became really rare again. I'm still glad I got Tetris DS, I had a bunch of DS games I was buying during one of TRUs buy 2 get one free sale and couldn't find anything else I really wanted so I just grabbed Tetris.
    Last edited by rainking187; 04-14-2010 at 05:30 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I picked up a It's Mr. Pants in a U.S. Gamestop, and pretty sure I saw it new. The first Nanostray for DS was originally only for TRU, then it hit a few other stores for a brief period. Timed exclusive? Or just staggered release? Who knows.

I guess the kind of obvious example of this for me would be Final Fantasy VII and Symphony of the Night. For like two or three years they were so obiquitous that I could have stocked up on them for well under $20 a piece, non GH. Suddenly out of nowhere people were paying $70+ for awhile. Thankfully they've both come down, but before then you couldn't tell me that would have happened.

The collecting aspect of this hobby takes strange turns at times...
    Mekka-lekka hi, mekka-hinney-hoh

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm View Post
    Huh. That must have been something that happened later on, cause I remember the Canada-only distribution being a "big thing" at the time. FWIW, I've never seen it in a store, ever. Maybe it was something they brought down here after it didn't sell well there?
    Micro Center over in the Tri-County area had a couple of copies of that game for $5 along with some other GBA titles like Blackthorne. I picked it up since it had such a catchy/quirky name and was only $5.

As for games that I haven't seen hardly at all, I'd have to go with Magnetica on DS and the Ultimate Duck Hunting games on Wii. I imagine in the near future, Wii titles like Castle of Shikigami III and Ultimate Shooting Collection will be scarce. I actually think some shovelware titles will be rather hard to come by. It's sound ironic since they're shovelware but I'd hazard to guess all print runs are not created equal on those and some of the more niche ones will be a pain to find for the complete collection Wii collectors.
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Now I'm trying to track down a copy of FFX and big surprise, you can't find it anywhere...

*Update* I found my FFX new and sealed for $25, and as a bonus I also found a mint used copy of Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams for $20. This was also a game that 2-3 years ago could be found anywhere, and now it's almost non-existent at retail any ways.
    Last edited by duffmanth; 04-18-2010 at 12:18 PM.