Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Best tv for NES/SNES

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

God what a great Fuckin post!! imanerd0011... you are the man!! I've been looking around the net for probably close to two years... trying to figure out which Sony CRT is best! This post deserves to be a sticky thread... I think all retro gamers should know about this.

I mean, if your going to really enjoy your hobby... why not play these games the best way possible.

Imanerd0011,

The TV you mentioned..the xbr100/200.. do those use the "hi-Scan" screen resolution?

I would imagine sony's next step up.. the "super fine pitch" screens would be to high in resolution for retro games correct?

And lastly.. the TV you mentioned for Wii/Gamecube/Ps2 (progressive scan), the KD-34XBR960N... That TV has a default resolution of 480p I would assume? I think it's what you would call an "EDTV".... boy those things weren't around for long.

Great stuff! thanks again

- retromangia

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks! I was interested in getting a high end CRT a few months ago when someone said they were the best for video games.
    I thought the same thing. If you're going to spend tons of money on video games, you might as well have a great T.V. to play them on.
    I don't think the XBR100 or XBR200 are high scan models. I'll do a little more checking online, but the XBR100 is pretty hard to research, as their isn't much info online about it.
    Pretty much most HDCRT's don't look too good when playing retro games. This includes the Super Fine Pitch models. They look great on anything that is 480P, but not so hot for older games.
    The KD-34XBR960N is 480P/720P/1080I set, as are most high end Sony Trinitron's that were made near the end of the crt life cycle. There are a few models that are very similar, but this one is the one I'm looking for as it doesn't have the anti glare film on the screen, which is prone to have problems. That is what the N stands for in the end of the model number. The KD-34XBR960 is the exact same T.V., but it has the anti glare film on the screen. You can remove it, but I'd rather not have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Retromangia View Post
    God what a great Fuckin post!! imanerd0011... you are the man!! I've been looking around the net for probably close to two years... trying to figure out which Sony CRT is best! This post deserves to be a sticky thread... I think all retro gamers should know about this.

I mean, if your going to really enjoy your hobby... why not play these games the best way possible.

Imanerd0011,

The TV you mentioned..the xbr100/200.. do those use the "hi-Scan" screen resolution?

I would imagine sony's next step up.. the "super fine pitch" screens would be to high in resolution for retro games correct?

And lastly.. the TV you mentioned for Wii/Gamecube/Ps2 (progressive scan), the KD-34XBR960N... That TV has a default resolution of 480p I would assume? I think it's what you would call an "EDTV".... boy those things weren't around for long.

Great stuff! thanks again

- retromangia

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I checked out the XBR100 and it's interesting. It uses a break-out box for all of the inputs. It does use a form of digital processing, so hopefully that doesn't introduce any input lag. It also does not have component input.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zing View Post
    I checked out the XBR100 and it's interesting. It uses a break-out box for all of the inputs. It does use a form of digital processing, so hopefully that doesn't introduce any input lag. It also does not have component input.
    Are there any SD Curved Screen CRT's that have component inputs? I've never seen one myself. I do know the KV-32XBR200 has a component input, but it's a flat screen SD CRT.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by lotec25 View Post
    I should of worded this different, But let me explain. When they were testing the code display they used a curved screen to see how it looked, just like they use flat panels now to test and check the code displayed. Sorry if i worded that wrong.
    I understand what you mean now. Thanks for clarifying.

But in the same vein as the point you just made, NES/SuperNes games were never developed on or with the expectation that they'd be displayed on the large screen high end CRT's that were produced after the 8/16 bit era. It's not really any different of an argument so I really don't see the validity of it or why this aspect should even matter.

Flat screens tend to have geometry issues, but as long as someone is willing to dig into the service menu to make adjustments, there's absoluely no reason they won't be able to enjoy their classic games on a high end CRT flat screen model. Programmers never made adjustments to compensate for screen curvature, so things like platforms in a Super Mario Bros. game are going to look correct on a flatscreen (And in some ways, more correct then on a curved screen).

Quote Originally Posted by imanerd0011 View Post
    Are there any SD Curved Screen CRT's that have component inputs? I've never seen one myself. I do know the KV-32XBR200 has a component input, but it's a flat screen SD CRT.
    Many

The vast majority of standard definition CRT's over the past decade besides the absoluely bottom rung of 12-13" bargain basement sets had component inputs. That includes many non flatscreen models. There's a 14" or so non flatscreen SD CRT bought in the past year in my kitchen right now with a DVD player hooked up via component and another model for a future replacement bought even more recent in storage.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 06-30-2010 at 02:31 AM.

Cherry (Level 1) Canadian Psycho's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by imanerd0011 View Post
    I don't think so. Most Flat Screens (especially the HDCRT's) don't display a good picture when viewing an SD picture. NES looks pretty bad on them to be honest.

That's why I'm looking for the best SD Sony Trinitron, which I believe is the Kv-32xbr100. The only problem is that they are VERY hard to find!

FXmercanery,

What is the model number of your Sony Trinitron?
    How about this model : KV-36XBR250. Is it up there too?

ooooOOOOHHH RUSTY!!! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FxMercenary
    PSN
    Gronkus

my model# is KV27XBR55 its a 1992 27" with the top-mounted subwoofer and 2 side/satellite speakers.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Moderator... can you sticky this thread please?? This is a very important topic.. wouldn't you all agree?

ok, so if your saying the XBR100 doesn't have Component inputs??... then it should be out of the question completely no?...I mean..there is a very EASY way(read: no mods required) to get component output from our favorite retro systems. All you need is to import some SCART cables, and SCART > Component transcoder box. I know for sure this can be done for the SNES, Sega Genesis, and Saturn.. and I'm probably missing one or two others. The NES can only do Composite, and the N64 can only do S-video.e.

The XBR200 should be the official king of SD gaming

Have you guys checked out any threads over at avsforum.com ??? They have a ton of great info on this I remember correctly from a few years ago. Perhaps I'll start a new thread over their and see If I get any bites.

lets keep the info coming!

- RetroMangia

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Retromangia View Post
    Moderator... can you sticky this thread please?? This is a very important topic.. wouldn't you all agree?

ok, so if your saying the XBR100 doesn't have Component inputs??... then it should be out of the question completely no?...I mean..there is a very EASY way(read: no mods required) to get component output from our favorite retro systems. All you need is to import some SCART cables, and SCART > Component transcoder box. I know for sure this can be done for the SNES, Sega Genesis, and Saturn.. and I'm probably missing one or two others. The NES can only do Composite, and the N64 can only do S-video.e.

The XBR200 should be the official king of SD gaming

Have you guys checked out any threads over at avsforum.com ??? They have a ton of great info on this I remember correctly from a few years ago. Perhaps I'll start a new thread over their and see If I get any bites.

lets keep the info coming!

- RetroMangia
    Hmm,I never knew about the component mods that are available for the SNES/Genesis.

I'm not sure if the XBR200 is the SD king or not, mainly because of the flat screen aspect. I really retro games (NES/SNES/N64) look best on a curved television, although I have never seen one in action on the XBR200 before, so it's hard to say.
    I would actually think having component wouldn't matter too much for retro games anyway, as they don't have component available (unless you mod them). For all the systems that have component available as a stock option, you would be better off using an HD CRT (such has KD-34XBR960).
    I really wish there were more people interested in this topic. I actually started a thread over on AVSforums, but didn't come up with too much info, other than people recommending the XBR100 and a few other sets.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Xbr400

anyone have any information about using a n64 on a Xbr400?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What do you mean by "any information"?

Get a Nintendo s-video cable. Plug into N64 and TV. Done.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have this one and it's AWESOME! It also works well with the zapper. it has composite (RCA), S-Video and component. It's the best I've ever seen.

http://www.jvc.ca/en/consumer/archiv...odel=AV-32WF36

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i saw a xbr100 in person and it is an awesome tv.My cousin has it and another sony from 89.here's my quick shot of a curved tube screen with mario brothers played on top loading nes through coaxal.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

picked this baby up from the goodwill for 5 bucks today

and heres my daily driver....40" RCA home Theater....better than my buddies Wega....picture is perfect on this thing, especially for being so large.

Last edited by Parodius Duh!; 03-12-2012 at 12:47 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What model is that tv you just bought?Nice rca tv you have.Can you also take some pics of that tv with some games hooked up to it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

RCA has to be one of the most inconsistent TV manufacturers of the CRT age. Most of their products were the usual Thomson-made crap, but every now and then, they'd make something really great.
    Back in 2002, I had a 36" RCA with two VGA inputs, one of which supported 800x600. It was the best monitor I've ever owned by far. Dreamcast (and my other systems connected through an XRGB2+) looked glorious on it, and at the time, 800x600 was adequate for my computing needs. The only real downfall was that for some baffling reason, it couldn't do progressive scan through component, even though it was capable of progressive scan via VGA/SVGA.

Ultimately, frequent moves and some overseas travel made it a completely impractical thing to own, so I passed it on to my brother, who later gave it to my nephew. It died last year, but at least it got plenty of use.

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dukenukem View Post
    What model is that tv you just bought?Nice rca tv you have.Can you also take some pics of that tv with some games hooked up to it?
    mines a 1997 RCA Home Theater F36676ET model.

Tried my best to take some better pics...this set has perfect deep blacks and bright colors

Last edited by Parodius Duh!; 03-12-2012 at 07:48 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I really liked my Philips TV, but the problem with those is that the RCA connectors get weak and wear out. Cheap components
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the shots.Isn't that tv pretty heavy?I also have broken those plastic tabs off one of my snes's and luckily it went well and now i can play my super famicom games on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My 20" TV as a teenager was an RCA. This would have been in 1990. I didn't think highly of RCA at the time, but it was all I could afford that actually had composite input. My dream TV was a mitsubishi 27" with a theoretical 800 lines of resolution, which was mindblowing at the time for a mid-price consumer set.