Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    lame360gamer
    PSN
    Steelspawn

Default A few Sega purchase questions

Hi all,

I decided to buy a Sega Saturn this week (only now learning that there were two models released here in Australia, seems I am getting the first) and I am thinking of getting the other systems they released.

Now did the Master System II only feature an option for RF? Unfortunatley at the moment I have an LCD television with a large AV switch running my older consoles and I can see this is going to be troublesome to get working at all on this television.

The Mega CD seems harder to track down here around these parts but was wondering is there a better combination between the Mega Drive I/II working with the front loading or side by side version of the Mega CD?

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

The Master System II only had RF output, there was no A/V Output.

The Model 2 of the Sega Mega CD is generally considered to be more stable and less fragile than the Model 1 Mega CD. The Model 1 Mega Drive has the better sound and video output though, so you're best bet would be a Model 1 Mega Drive and a Model 2 Mega CD.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The first master system can do AV, second has to be modded for anything other than RF. You could also buy the adapter that allows master system games to be played on a Mega drive to get AV output. I've got nothing to add on the Mega CD, Baloo really covered it all.

Congrats on scoring the Saturn, I'm in Australia too and can't find one anywhere. Make sure you get one of those action replays so you can pick up some Japan imports!

Edit: The Action Replay 4M Auto Plus seems to be what I was thinking of. Absolutely essential if you're into the import scene, namely shmups
    Last edited by EnforcerOfJustice; 04-14-2010 at 03:56 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    lame360gamer
    PSN
    Steelspawn

Quote Originally Posted by EnforcerOfJustice View Post
    The first master system can do AV, second has to be modded for anything other than RF. You could also buy the adapter that allows master system games to be played on a Mega drive to get AV output. I've got nothing to add on the Mega CD, Baloo really covered it all.

Congrats on scoring the Saturn, I'm in Australia too and can't find one anywhere. Make sure you get one of those action replays so you can pick up some Japan imports!
    Thanks mate, shows how out of touch with Sega I am, wasnt even aware the action replay can do imports! Must look into that now!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

I second baloo's recommendation of a model 1 mega drive with a model 2 mega drive. Not visually the best (that would be MD1 and MCD1 or MGD2 and MCD2 and 32x)

Sega is great fun collecting. almost bought an SC3000 sega computer from australia but was too poor

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    lame360gamer
    PSN
    Steelspawn

Does the Mega CD require its own video out or does it just require its own power supply and everything else is taken from the Megadrive attatched?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lamegamer View Post
    Does the Mega CD require its own video out or does it just require its own power supply and everything else is taken from the Megadrive attatched?
    Nope, it doe s have audio out though for Stereo Sound. The Video out is handled by the Genesis or 32-X respectively. However, if you want stereo sound through a Genesis 1 from the CD portion, you need the mixing cable for the Sega CD system. Still an excellent set up though.