Thread: Odyssey 2 Model BJ7600 GY02 Power Supply

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Odyssey 2 Model BJ7600 GY02 Power Supply

I recently picked up an Odyssey 2 Model BJ7600 GY02 and was looking for a power supply for it. This does not use the standard NES plug. It uses plug-in controllers. Seems to not be any info on the web, so I decided to ask the experts here (I've already lurked the forums for info on Virtual Boy restoration). I picked up a multiplug from RadioShack, but need to verify the tip. I believe it's an F for those who use multitips, but I don't know the polarity - does it use a positive or negative tip? I think it will take an Atari PSU, but don't want to fry it with the wrong polarity.

There's also the word 'RENEWED' branded on the plastic on the bottom - does anyone know what that stands for? I think this might be a rarer model (but it's not in great shape), so I'd like to learn more about it as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

The Renewed probably means that it was factory reconditioned at some point.

I too would like to know the answer to this as I have a removable controller O2 that's missing the power supply.

Tempest
    --- www.AtariProtos.com ---
    All Your Prototypes Are Belong To Us!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

You could always open it up to check polarity. + and - are usually really easy to find. Electrolytics almost always have their polarity labeled and if there is a bridge rectifier then polarity won't matter.

Looking here, it looks like a 2600 power supply might work.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes it does take an Atari 2600 PSU. Sometimes you have to be careful you don't get something with reverse polarity...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

Quote Originally Posted by CapComMDb View Post
    Yes it does take an Atari 2600 PSU. Sometimes you have to be careful you don't get something with reverse polarity...
    Has this been confirmed? I could have sworn I tried that long ago and the plug wouldn't fit.

Tempest
    --- www.AtariProtos.com ---
    All Your Prototypes Are Belong To Us!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

The site I linked to above says it works. If you're still worried, do like I said before and open it up and check. If you have a simple meter you can test for continuity from the power jack to various points on the board. If not, a simple visual inspection will do. It looks like there's a ground plane( a large portion of the ciucuit board that is copper. Check if any lead of the power jack goes to it. That will be your negative.

I'm going of the info on here by the way. Your model may be a bit different.
    http://www.digitpress.com/library/techdocs/o2-svc.pdf

It looks like that one has a bridge rectifier in it so polarity shouldn't matter. A bridge rectifier looks like 4 diodes in a square, though this one looks like it's all in 1 component with 4 leads(the 4 diodes appead to be pictured on the PCB though). It also shows a 5V regulator so you'd be ok to go over or under a bit on the voltage...Don't go too much off though. Again, you should check this to make sure yours is the same.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It works. I finally got fed up with waiting for someone else to confirm it and so stuck it in my Odyssey 2 :P Came right up! Given all the crap I had to go through, and the condition of the unit, I think I paid too much for it...even if it DID come with about 20 games (no boxes, but lots of manuals).

The trouble with doing a visual confirmation on an Odyssey 2 is that if you have one of these GY02 models, you can't get a look at the grounds unless you remove the protective metal plate (which is soldered on at a few points).

Also, you don't have to do any kind of mods if you are missing the A/V converter box - just buy an F-plug to Phono adapter (i.e. female RCA to male coax; about $3.50 at RadioSnack) and it will work with the long-tip plugs.

Next task...restore a pachinko machine :P