Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Neo Geo Info

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Need Neo Geo Info

I'm considering a Neo Geo purchase but I don't know a whole lot about the system. I see them on ebay all the time. They're not cheap but that's not why I started this thread.

It seems that there are at least two types of Neo Geo consoles. A CD version and a cartridge version. Is one more desirable than the other?

I'm not looking at this from a collectors stand point. I want to play the games!

Please, any info you can provide will be very helpful.

Thanks!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm no neo expert, but since i got here first:

the cart system is your best bet if you are willing to spend some cash. new or rare neo carts can be pretty expensive.

the cd system is the cheaper route, and you can get some nice cd quality music on some games. however, i hear the loading times on those things are horrid. also, correct me if i'm wrong, but new releases no longer come out in cd format.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It all depends on how much money your willing to spend. You have lots of choices really. You can buy the Home Cart System(AES), or a CD system which has a 1x cd-rom drive, OR you can pay a whole lot more money and get a CDX system, which has a 2x cd-rom drive

The cartridge system has two types of Carts. AES and MVS. The AES are made for the AES system, whereas the MVS are the Arcade versions and won't work in a home system. However, some genius created the Phantom 1 convertor which allows you to play the MVS carts on your home system. This is good because MVS carts are the cheapest route to go period.

If you just want to play the games and don't care about appearance or collectibility, I recommend either purchasing an MVS arcade cab, or buying an AES home system along with the Phantom 1 convertor so that you can have more money to spend on MVS carts. Expect to spend around $400 for a home system w/2 controllers and the Phantom 1. That's just an average estimate, you may find a better deal.

The Neo-Geo also has plays both Japanese and US versions of all its games without any modifications. Important answer to a question everyone asks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

go to this page in the forom all expert in the neogeo

http://www.neo-geo.com/

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the games for the cart system are killers. very expensive for good games.
    The cd system is the better choice, cheaper, and i think it has more games could be wrong though x_x

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are many threads on this topic here on the forum, so you may just want to search for them.

Here's the quick version though.

Neo Geo CD/CDZ - Games are no longer made for this format. Load times are terrible for some games, others aren't that bad. You can find most, not all of the titles for the cart system on cd. There are a few cd-exclusive titles. CD games tend to be the cheapest of your three options, and typically aren't hard to find.

Neo Geo AES - Best possible format for home (unless you have a neo MVS cabinet - that's the arcade version). Games can run between $15 - $10,000, so I don't recommend trying to collect for them. You can put together a very nice library for around $50 per game (average) - despite what anyone says. I know, because I'm doing so. There is basically no load time, the games are arcade perfect. In the higher priced games, beware of fakes - they do exist. If you have a US system, it will play US, Euro and Jap games. If you have a JAP system, it will play the Jap, US and Euro games. Doesn't matter. However, your language is basically inherent to the nationality of the system, unless you have it modded.

My recommendation to you, if your main concern is to get the games to play them - by a home AES system and a Phantom 1 converter. This allows you to play MVS games on your AES system. Typically, an MVS game costs a mere fraction of it's AES counterpart, and they are much easier to find. Example - a Rage of the Dragons AES game will cost you about $300 complete, in mint condition. The MVS kit can be purchased new right now for $59. Big difference. Tehre are some MVS exclusives that aren't available in home cart format. The only drawback for this approach is that there are a LOT of MVS bootlegs out there. They work fine, but they aren't authentic.

Hope this helps some.

Steve
    Great to deal with: Leonk, AdamG, Cheesystick, DigitalPress, ButtaSuperb, Hydr0x, Darth Vader, Gary Gnu, Portnoyd, NexWave, Postermen, Kaine23, ARCZero, kai123, Buyatari, Minilek, DREW, bighab, AlanD, Flack

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

orrimarrko summed everything up pretty nicely.

Just gotta add, since you're interested in Neo Geo for gaming purposes and not collecting, go with MVS. They are the actual arcade games, and most are 50 or less, with a few being 100-150. CD games might be cheaper, but they aren't arcade perfect in most cases, and you gotta deal with load times. MVS is the best route in terms of actual gaming and prices.

Get into MVS soon though, I've noticed some prices on rarer carts getting higher and higher.

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Quote Originally Posted by buttasuperb
    orrimarrko summed everything up pretty nicely.

Just gotta add, since you're interested in Neo Geo for gaming purposes and not collecting, go with MVS. They are the actual arcade games, and most are 50 or less, with a few being 100-150. CD games might be cheaper, but they aren't arcade perfect in most cases, and you gotta deal with load times. MVS is the best route in terms of actual gaming and prices.

Get into MVS soon though, I've noticed some prices on rarer carts getting higher and higher.
    Yea...Go MVS...

Even though I have an Neo Geo AES and buy games for it...I'd suggest MVS all day...

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That give me a lot to go on!

Thanks for all the helpful info!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Quote Originally Posted by evilmess
    That give me a lot to go on!

Thanks for all the helpful info!
    We'll I could write a lot of info but..it's all been said very well above..
    But I'll add a little of my own thoughts..

I don't know your preferences..I've Always been a console gamer..But
    I bought an Neo Geo MVS arcade machine to play the Neo Geo MVS games..I like playing the Neo Geo MVS games on the Arcade machine more..
    The MVS games were cheaper when I first got into it..Now they have went up in price Big time...and are on a steady rise....even though they still are cheaper then most AES home system games...(depends on the games)

An Arcade machine is big and takes up a lot of room....and are heavy and hard to move..
    I'm a collector so I buy AES games mainly for my collection...I do play them but not as much as the games in the Arcade machine......But for a person who just wants to play the games then I'd say..Go MVS..

You could get a SuperGun..and Play MVS carts on a TV..
    The Supergun may cost you some money but with the cheaper price in MVS carts you'll save money in the long run....
    Providing..The MVS carts don't reach the high prices like AES carts do..

Example..A Metal Slug AES cart may cost you $2000.00-$3000.00 whereas the same game in MVS form may only cost you $50.00

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Check out this site..neo geo.com..There is a search option also for anything you may need to know...
    forums.
    http://www.neo-geo.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi

Main Home Page..
    http://www.neo-geo.com/

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Don't have a whole lot to add, but I will agree that MVS is THE way to go if you're just interested in playing. You get the most games, the prices are still waaay cheaper, and you don't have to deal with load times. A Supergun with a MVS will be cheaper than a AES with Phanton 1 and you don't have to worry about compatability plus you can use the Supergun with other JAMMA arcade boards.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Also if you buy a Japanese Neo-Geo Aes system then you will get all the "BLOOD" and "Bounce" features that are cut out of most Neo-Geo games when you go to play them on a USA Aes system.For example if you hit a guy while playing the game on a Japnese Neo-Geo you will see blood gush out where as if you are playing the same game on a USA system the blood could be replaced with sweat,sort of like with the Sega Genesis verison and Snes verison of "Mortal Kombat",Genesis has blood,Snes has Sweat when an oppent is hit.I love all of the Neo-Geo systems and you cant go wrong with any of them.I LOVE NEO-GEO.
    I love ALL Video Games with all my heart and soul

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheVideoGameMaster
    Also if you buy a Japanese Neo-Geo Aes system then you will get all the "BLOOD" and "Bounce" features that are cut out of most Neo-Geo games when you go to play them on a USA Aes system.For example if you hit a guy while playing the game on a Japnese Neo-Geo you will see blood gush out where as if you are playing the same game on a USA system the blood could be replaced with sweat,sort of like with the Sega Genesis verison and Snes verison of "Mortal Kombat",Genesis has blood,Snes has Sweat when an oppent is hit.I love all of the Neo-Geo systems and you cant go wrong with any of them.I LOVE NEO-GEO.
    Or, you could get a modded US system, then it doesn't matter about language or censorship.

We have provided many options here, but basically it all boils down to your wallet and preference.

Good luck & have fun!
    Great to deal with: Leonk, AdamG, Cheesystick, DigitalPress, ButtaSuperb, Hydr0x, Darth Vader, Gary Gnu, Portnoyd, NexWave, Postermen, Kaine23, ARCZero, kai123, Buyatari, Minilek, DREW, bighab, AlanD, Flack

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks to you guys and a couple other sites and refferencing this new info to what available on ebay I'm learning a lot!

At this point I really want an AES console however the SuperGun+MVS set up is an interesting alternative that needs more research on my part.

Thanks again!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Something needs to be cleared up here.

The US and Japanese AES carts are, to the best of my knowledge, exactly the same data. The mod chip isn't necessary for blood 'n bouncy on a US console...if you've got a Gold system like I do. I was finally able to check it out with Samurai Spirits (Shodown) 2...oddly, though the game is a Japanese cartridge, it shows the US logo (Samurai Shodown) and English text on a US system EVEN when I select "Japan" for the region (I could've chosen Spanish but I didn't). Neo Geo carts have all the different regional differences coded in already. Selecting Japan for the region, though, ensures you get blood and that sort of thing. I'm not sure, but I think there are Silver and even Platinum systems out there and I'd assume Silver and above has the extra features.

Cartridges? I'd go with MVS if you care about actually building up some sort of collection. Metal Gear 1 is going to be basically unaffordable unless you go that way and get something like a Phantom-1 converter (note that this thing has stereo sound output as well, which nullifies the need for an expensive mod).

Generally speaking, here's what some AES carts will cost you (Japanese region unless noted otherwise, the package is cooler and you get the exact same game cartridge anyways):

Samurai Shodown 1 and 2 are pretty common, you should be able to find both US and Japanese versions for around $30. My copy of Samurai Shodown 2 is absolutely perfect but I overpaid (knowingly) $30.
    Samurai Shodown 3 and 4 are getting more expensive; I think SS4 is somewhere around $270 for the Japanese version.

Last Blade 1 and 2 are pretty darn expensive too! Prepare to be hit for something like $270 for LB2.

Metal Slug 1 is almost never found under $900, if that. Usually $1000.

Most other MS games are $250-$300 or so.

I'm not a terribly big fan of KoF or Fatal Fury games, the newer ones are about as expensive as Metal Slugs though the oldest Fatal Fury games are affordable (around $30 for some I believe) and Garou: MotW is the exception at hmm $560 or something like that. Lotta money, but it's a great product.

Neo Geo CD and CDZ systems are slow, I hear, very slow, and they don't load up as much stuff as the cartridge originals (remember that though the Neo Geo has only 68K of RAM or so, it swaps new information in all the time). On the upside you get CD music and the games aren't terribly expensive at all. I'm considering getting some games for this system just for the heck of it, and there's some games that were only released for this system as CDs are less expensive by far than carts; they were used to test the market to an extent.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    but I think there are Silver and even Platinum systems out there and I'd assume Silver and above has the extra features.
    Actually it's silver and gold, and it doesn't have to do with features of the system, instead what comes with the system.

Samurai Shodown 1 and 2 are pretty common, you should be able to find both US and Japanese versions for around $30.Samurai Shodown 3 and 4 are getting more expensive; I think SS4 is somewhere around $270 for the Japanese version.
    Japanese version of both, and a US SS1 you can find for 30, but a Euro SS2 is starting to get more expensive. I got mine for 50, but I recently saw one sell for 150. I paid 265 for my SS4, so that's about right. The underrated SS3 can be had for 60 or so.

Most other MS games are $250-$300 or so.
    Be prepared to pay more than that for MS2 or MSX.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Something needs to be cleared up here.

The US and Japanese AES carts are, to the best of my knowledge, exactly the same data. The mod chip isn't necessary for blood 'n bouncy on a US console...if you've got a Gold system like I do. I was finally able to check it out with Samurai Spirits (Shodown) 2...oddly, though the game is a Japanese cartridge, it shows the US logo (Samurai Shodown) and English text on a US system EVEN when I select "Japan" for the region (I could've chosen Spanish but I didn't). Neo Geo carts have all the different regional differences coded in already. Selecting Japan for the region, though, ensures you get blood and that sort of thing. I'm not sure, but I think there are Silver and even Platinum systems out there and I'd assume Silver and above has the extra features.
    Not correct.

First - Gold system came with 2 controllers, and later with a game.
    Silver came with one controller, and later with one game. The systems are ALWAYS the same.

Second - If you play a Japanese game on a US system, it will always be in English, and Japanese games on Japanese systems will always be in Japanese. Without an installed bios chip, you cannot select "uncensored" on a US system, regardless of the origin of the cart. Same with Japanese systems, and the language difference.

Metal Slug 1 is almost never found under $900, if that. Usually $1000.
    If you find a Metal Slug AES (US or JAP) for $900-$1000, you give me a call - I will buy it from you right away.

Going price on a US Metal Slug complete in mint condition will range from $1,800-$3,000 based on recent figures within the Neo community.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

if I buy an AES console with a single controller were can I get a second controller? I haven't seen any controllers on ebay.

Also, if I buy an AES console from a Jananese seller can I plug it in and play or will I need a different power supply? (i live in the USA)

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The power supply for a Japanese system will work fine here.

As for an extra controller, they will pop up on ebay from time to time, and you can also check the buying/selling forums over at neo-geo.com

Or you can get a Mas stick for your Neo Geo at http://www.massystems.com

I prefer this stick over the original Neo stick by far. Heavy duty, better joystick and buttons. Kinda expensive though.