Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I picked up 2 arcade games today

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I picked up 2 arcade games today

My girlfriend comes home and tells me "Hurry up and grab $400 I told the people we'll be back in 20 minutes". I asked her "What are you talking about?" and she said she drove past a yard sale that had a Dig Dug and a Centipede. They wanted $250 each but she asked them if they would give her a deal if we bought both, and they told her $400 for both. I go there and see everything is decent, I started each game and they worked great so I handed them the mula and brought home 2 cabs today.

As for the bad, Centipede has 2 busted corners, both games have minor wear and tear if you look closely at the previous pictures.

Here's the bad corners to the Centipede

I'm very happy with them, games work great. They just need a little bit of cosmetics so I'm also happy to have a few minor Summer projects now

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Those look great. They must have been home games for their lifetime for the control panels and art to look that good. Nice!
    -
    Pete Rittwage
    C64 Preservation Project
    http://c64preservation.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

WOAH! You got lucky. *jealous*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Rittwage View Post
    Those look great. They must have been home games for their lifetime for the control panels and art to look that good. Nice!
    Ditto this, the broken corners are unfortunate but they can be fixed, and don't seem to have hit the art.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To get 2 working games for that, and in great condition, you did great. As for fixing the corners, I sorta kinda gave a brief tutorial in this thread.

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143788

Matching the white may be a little of a challenge, but there's probably a paint code on the net somewhere.

Insert Coin (Level 0) chrissylas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Beautiful! I'm envious

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Great find! Restoring those dinged up corners should be a breeze - just need two pieces of wood, a can of Bondo, and an orbital sander.

Even with those dinged corners, those are two of the best looking Atari cabs I've seen in a while. The contol panels and artwork are in great condition for thier ages.. The pic on the Dig Dug monitor looks a bit crooked, though...

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Those things are in great shape. The corners should be easy and they sell those little corner protectors that may cover up that missing part. Great pick up!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They are alooking really nice! Congrats on the little haul of two great machines & games. They appear to already be in a garage, perfect spot to restore them. TheDomesticInstitution has a good tutorial there, read it the other week and is something I'll have to look at doing once I get my machines moved into my new place.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    Ditto this, the broken corners are unfortunate but they can be fixed, and don't seem to have hit the art.
    It's not touching the art, I got lucky with that!

Quote Originally Posted by TheDomesticInstitution View Post
    To get 2 working games for that, and in great condition, you did great. As for fixing the corners, I sorta kinda gave a brief tutorial in this thread.

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143788

Matching the white may be a little of a challenge, but there's probably a paint code on the net somewhere.
    It's funny because I read that thread before buying the cabinets, so first thing on my mind when I saw the corners was to check it out again . The site with the colors shouldn't be too hard to find, I just have to look through my old posts at another forum, I asked about color codes to Joust and someone posted a site that has all kinds of color codes for arcade cabinets.

Quote Originally Posted by diskoboy View Post
    The pic on the Dig Dug monitor looks a bit crooked, though...
    I think the monitor has a loose connection. I moved them a little bit while they were on and the Dig Dug screen would flicker and it is a tiny bit off (even before I moved it) My next day off is Monday so I'll have some time then to pin point the problem. Other then that both monitors have great picture with no burn in, they look almost new.

Another thing I'll be taking care of soon are the coin doors. You can't tell too much from those pictures but they're a little banged up. I have both kinds of those doors already in great shape, so I'll slap those on as well. It's a little hard getting some extra time to work on them with 2 kids and our work schedule but I'm keeping these for good so eventually they'll get done.
    Last edited by IronBuddha; 05-01-2010 at 11:57 PM.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This thread discusses the color.

http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=7727

You won't have a 100% match. But if you repair the corner and mask the side art with tape and paper, you should be able to repaint the area and feather the paint out, and get it pretty close.

Your monitor being touchy, may also be the symptom of some finicky monitor adjustment pots. If you can find the source of the problem, try tapping the potentiometers and see if it causes the screen to flicker.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I did a few things today.

I went out to the hardware store and picked up pretty much every shade of white they had. Then matched it up the best I could.

Last night I applied the bondo to the one bad corner of the centipede and the side of the cp on the Dig Dug.

Today I sanded and painted them.

Tonight I'm going to apply bondo to the other corner of the Centipede, then sand and paint tomorrow. I'll post those pictures when I'm done.

I haven't addressed the monitor issue yet, I have no experience at all with monitors so I'll have to read up on them before I do anything.

Here's a neat thing I forgot to mention, on the inside of the back panel to the Dig Dug it has a sheet explaining to the operators about the test switch and coin mech.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

awesome! wish my girlfriend would do something like this

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Damn... I wish I could pounce on projects that quick.

But then I start playing them, and get pre-occupied.

I've bought my stuff for stenciling my Pac-Man, but I'm waiting on warmer weather. That and when I realize I have to spend all day taking pictures and gutting my machine, I lose interest.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool pics. It's a bit easier to do when you don't have T-molding. All of my cabs so far have has trashed T-Molding, so I removed all of mine before attempting any work. The T-molding on your cabinets though looks to be in awesome shape.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by diskoboy View Post
    Damn... I wish I could pounce on projects that quick.

But then I start playing them, and get pre-occupied.
    That's what happened to me today, I started playing and forgot to sand the last corner and now it's too late for me to do it. Tomorrow it'll be done......hopefully.

I'm gonna try to sand and paint before work tomorrow, I work 4 12 hour shifts so I won't be able to do anything else until Monday again. It's only rewiring the dig dug marquee light and this monitor issue I need to address and everything's done.

I looked around on the monitor and found out it's a 1982 Wells Gardner 19in k4679. The pots don't do anything when I tap them, it's only when I move the cabinet and it "shakes" a little. Another problem I discovered last night when playing the game was on the later levels when the bottom half of the game is a darker color, it's set too dark. You can't see where poor dig dug is digging. So I have to wait until I reach the level then maybe tell my girlfriend to adjust it while I'm playing and let her know when it's set. The weird thing is to me the coloring seems fine on the game until you reach that later level? IDK, right now before I hit the hay I'm looking into monitor issues but not having any luck on finding my model as of yet.

EDIT: I misread the year of the monitor, it's 1982 not 92.
    Last edited by IronBuddha; 05-06-2010 at 12:47 AM.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but a WG k4600 cap kit should work for this monitor right?

Here's a few things that'll help you determine.

Here's a page for the manual download. Download the k4600 manual and compare pics with your monitor PCB.

http://www.mikesarcade.com/arcade/monitors.html

Here's a cap map for the board.

http://www.therealbobroberts.net/4600lyot.html

Here's a pic of it, to compare to yours.

http://www.therealbobroberts.net/4600.html

A cap kit will probably fix your problems. It's a pretty standard procedure for monitors.

Bob Roberts sells them, and a website called mouser sells caps. Here is a project someone put together over on KLOV for the 4600 series.

https://www.mouser.com/ProjectManage...sID=bf975ae673

It looks like a few of the caps are backordered, but you can always find another brand of the same value to replace the backordered ones. If you need help, and want to go the mouser route I could lend assistance.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well tonight I was playing dig dug and the screen still flickers even while I'm playing. I started adjusting the knobs on the monitor to see what each one does but the one must have been rigged or something because as soon as I touched it, it fell apart. And now the screen is really messed up, it's all swirly

I don't have anymore time tonight to mess with it, I'll have to wait until I have someone else with me to help before I get to it.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Uh oh. You should be able to find another pot. You just need to write down the value of it (which should be stamped somewhere on it).

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheDomesticInstitution View Post
    Uh oh. You should be able to find another pot. You just need to write down the value of it (which should be stamped somewhere on it).
    On the ring there's a number on it, it shows "5130" is this it?