Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: May 2010 Finds

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flashback2012 View Post
    I was going to post a topic on this in Modern Gaming but decided this is more of a find so here it is.

Anyway, I dropped by a GS where a friend of mine works and noticed they had a shrink wrapped Patapon 2 on their back counter. I glanced at it and noticed that the packaging was "off" from what I remember so I asked if I could see it. He hands it to me and I notice on the insert there's no mention of a download card so I shake the case a little bit.

My buddy is perplexed by my actions and semi-sarcastically says "Checking to make sure the voucher is in there?" to which I reply "No dude, I think there's a UMD in there." I peer into the side of the case and it looks like a sliver of white. I hand the case to him to and he sees it as well. We crack it open and sure enough, there's a Patapon UMD in the case instead of a voucher card.

I say to him "ring it up!" expecting it to come up at the $19.99 price point and he points out it's only $9.99.

I don't know how long they've had a UMD version available here in the states but it's nice to not have to import a EU copy or settle for the voucher. I'm assuming they put out the UMD version around the same time Fat Princess and Pixel Junk Monsters were released.
    There is no retail UMD version of Patapon 2 officially released in the US. Apparently, the game was released in Mexico using the US/Region 1 case with a UMD.
    Last edited by Bojay1997; 05-24-2010 at 12:07 AM.

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    There is no retail UMD version of Patapon 2 officially released in the US. Apparently, the game was released in Mexico using the US/Region 1 case with a UMD.
    Here's an image of the US/Region 1 case for the voucher version...

My case looks just like that except for the top...

Here's a look at the UMD itself...

And a close up view (sorry for the size of the pics...still rather new to this whole image posting thing! )

If this was intended for sale in Mexico then Sony messed up and forgot to include any Spanish instructions in the instruction book. There also isn't a lick of Spanish anywhere on the back of the insert. I looked at the fine print and it says "Manufactured and Printed in the U.S.A."

Now there IS a language selection in the game and you can pick English, Spanish, or French. I'm willing to bet the original game was like that too though, they most likely just copied the code onto a UMD. I'm not saying your intel isn't true (though it does have a strong ball-busting vibe about it) but as far as I can see, this looks about as legit a US release as any other PSP game I've bought or seen for sale in a store.

It doesn't really matter anyway. Whether it was intended for Mexico, Canada, or all of North America, it's available in the US in UMD format finally. Like I said in my first post, now I don't have to worry about importing an EU copy or settling for the voucher/hard plastic retail card. Hopefully chains like Best Buy, TRU, and Target get in UMD copies and make it more widespread/available.
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

Objection! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Interesting. There may be another UMD version of Patapon 2 sitting at a local store. Maybe I'll check it out.
    Serving the retrogaming community since March 2005

DP feedback: +47(!), no negatives
    can be found here: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66092

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

i am not sure about your statement but its true that in Mexico we got the UMD version of Patapon 2 in a regular US / Region 1 case
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Picked up quite a few items at the flea yesterday.

Visit my blog at www.retrogaminglife.com ^_^ You won't regret it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Wow. I will definitely keep my eye on Patapon 2.

Stuff I picked up yesterday

Age of Conan CE - $14.96
    Battle Fantasia - $10
    Fire Emblem - $14.96
    Star Ocean - $24.96

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Visit my blog at www.retrogaminglife.com ^_^ You won't regret it!

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

And that would be because PSN in Mexico really sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eskobar View Post
    i am not sure about your statement but its true that in Mexico we got the UMD version of Patapon 2 in a regular US / Region 1 case
    Correct. It was not, however, officially released in the US. It's possible that some copies found their way into Gamestop by accident, but there has never been an official release of the game on UMD in the US. It would be nice to find a source for the Mexican version. All of the on-line retailers are sold out.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Here's an image of the US/Region 1 case for the voucher version...

My case looks just like that except for the top...

Here's a look at the UMD itself...

And a close up view (sorry for the size of the pics...still rather new to this whole image posting thing! )

If this was intended for sale in Mexico then Sony messed up and forgot to include any Spanish instructions in the instruction book. There also isn't a lick of Spanish anywhere on the back of the insert. I looked at the fine print and it says "Manufactured and Printed in the U.S.A."

Now there IS a language selection in the game and you can pick English, Spanish, or French. I'm willing to bet the original game was like that too though, they most likely just copied the code onto a UMD. I'm not saying your intel isn't true (though it does have a strong ball-busting vibe about it) but as far as I can see, this looks about as legit a US release as any other PSP game I've bought or seen for sale in a store.

It doesn't really matter anyway. Whether it was intended for Mexico, Canada, or all of North America, it's available in the US in UMD format finally. Like I said in my first post, now I don't have to worry about importing an EU copy or settling for the voucher/hard plastic retail card. Hopefully chains like Best Buy, TRU, and Target get in UMD copies and make it more widespread/available.
    I'm not "ball busting", I'm just clarifying what you found. It was not officially released in the US on UMD, and it is not being released that way now. You got lucky and your Gamestop ended up with a copy intended for Mexico. Neat. I don't know why, but SCEA almost never does anything special language wise for released to Mexico. I have actually seen other PSP games on a trip to Mexico City a year or so ago and they all had the standard US cases. I guess it keeps costs low for a limited market. Now, if someone has a source for more copies for the rest of us, that would be awesome.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Animerforever05's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

small stuff this month for me

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness 14.99$ used complete
    Bleach: The 3rd Phantom 14.99$ used complete
    Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume 14.99$ used complete

Banjo gba 6.99$ used

Gunstar Super Heroes 2.99$ used

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

I saw that at Frys this weekend. It was also priced at 9 bucks and for some reason I was drawn to it. I didn't pick one up, but I will be doing so now (to go along with my download copy that I did buy). It sure is out there it would seem. I guess their download only route stunk it to high heaven for the title.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nothing much but I did find a bare bone GameCube at the local scrap yard. Now I just have to find the hookups for it. Not an easy task around these parts I'm afraid
    Denmark: Home of The Little Mermaid and heavy sarcasm.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu View Post
    I saw that at Frys this weekend. It was also priced at 9 bucks and for some reason I was drawn to it. I didn't pick one up, but I will be doing so now (to go along with my download copy that I did buy). It sure is out there it would seem. I guess their download only route stunk it to high heaven for the title.
    Are you sure you saw a UMD version? I just got back from the Fry's near my office here in Burbank and they had probably 20 copies of the voucher version and I asked an employee to check their computer and it didn't show any second SKU or new stock of the game anywhere in their system.

Having said that, in looking at the case picture posted, it does have the newer PSP game logo on top and a reference to IGN 2009 Game of the Year which didn't happen until December 2009. I don't believe the Mexican case has those two features. As such, I am hopeful that the OP has in fact discovered a newly released UMD version of the game. This is very exciting!
    Last edited by Bojay1997; 05-24-2010 at 04:20 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Correct. It was not, however, officially released in the US. It's possible that some copies found their way into Gamestop by accident, but there has never been an official release of the game on UMD in the US. It would be nice to find a source for the Mexican version. All of the on-line retailers are sold out.
    If anybody needs one, send me a PM, i can look for one in my city
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

google 4 gaga
    Last edited by UnpluggedClone; 05-28-2010 at 06:50 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    haasinhampton

receipt check?
    Autobots. Roll out.

Level 10 Manly Pink Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pirate OTK
    PSN
    theguywithus

Today at goodwill I saw a Sega Saturn model 1 so I decided to pick it up. In the bag I also got Nights into Dreams (disk only), Virtua Fighter II (disk only), X-Men Vs. Street Fighter (Disk only) and a ST-Key cart. Not Bad for 5$. I sold the system, Nights, and Virtua Fighter to my sister for 6$. Not a bad day.

Apple (Level 5) Shadow Kisuragi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

eBay:
    Crime Patrol (Sega CD, CIB) - $30

Another R6 down for Sega CD. Radical Rex, Lawnmower Man and Night Trap (Blue Box) left.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Complete Video Warrior and The Adventures of Q*bert-$.55 each at a thrift. TCVW gives hints for Asteroids, Battlezone, Berzerk, Centipede, Defender, Frogger, Galaxian, Gorf, Missile Command, Pac-Man, Phoenix, Red Baron, Scramble, Space Invaders and Star Castle. And according to the Q*bert book, "66$$#" translates to "Whew, that was a close one." while "%#!!%X" means "I know I am brave, I will triumph!"

Space Griffon VF-9-$2.99 at Goodwill.

PS1 Speed Racer-$1 at a flea market.