Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone pick up 3-D Dot Game Heroes today?

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Love FromSoftware yet absolutely no interest. It'll get 19.99 sooner or later. Atlus hasn't stopped production on a game in forever.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tron 2.0 View Post
    Had my copy preorder from amazon...though i'll probably won't have it untile the end of the week.

Btw went with free shipping.
    Update got it on wednesday now if i can just pull, myself from MH3 to give it a quick play

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

The tower defense mini-game is really fun. The difference between it and other TD games is your character can still walk around putting damage on enemies with his sword.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RicknSam
    PSN
    howie6925

Just seen the trailer I am intersted in picking it up but that 100 ft sword I see in the video is kinda throwing me off a little . What is the deal with that is your sword always like that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Quote Originally Posted by Howie6925 View Post
    Just seen the trailer I am intersted in picking it up but that 100 ft sword I see in the video is kinda throwing me off a little . What is the deal with that is your sword always like that?
    No. Only when your life meter is full.

Instead of having the sword you throw, the designers just made a mammoth sword.

Here's the official website to submit and download characters.

http://www.3ddotgameheroes.com/hallofheroes/index.html

I'm waiting for someone to put up the robots (or players character) from Robotron... But I'm sure it'll be littered with Mario universe characters soon enough.
    Last edited by diskoboy; 05-13-2010 at 12:35 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Talking

Yup, got my copy just now!

Here's what I think about the game:
    Gameplay is exactly like Zelda. You can dash (after getting Dash shoes), holding Square, character will dash forward with the sword out like a battering ram.

X to attack with your Swords, O to attack with your secondary weapons like Bombs, Magics, Bow, Use hooks to hook onto pillars to move across gaps. This game is totally like the traditional Zeldas. I'm not sure whether you can get a feather to jump or not lol. Haven't played that far. Now I'm after the 3rd Temple.

You can get different kinds of shields, but they are not upgradable, Swords are though, with gol.

There's also quite a bit of humour in the game, Demon Souls reference, you can get key items like Sticky White Stuff, Hero's Soul etc etc lol.

There are mini-games that are quite fun as well, like a Tower Defence minigame.

As for in-game performance, in the Temples, the FPS will hover below 30FPS and result in a not so smooth gameplay but it's nothing game breaking nor significant, not really annoying either.

As for difficulty, so far if you're not careful, you'll die but it's nothing bad since you can respawn back at your respawn point. However bear in mind that if you die once, you lose the chance to get a trophy that requires you to not die throughout the whole game. And also the boss trophies that requires you to defeat them without taking damage might be tough to get for some bosses. No worries because you can respawn them anytime you want, the earliest would be right after defeating it and collecting the Heart Piece that adds a Heart to your HP.

Overall this game is quite fun to get and it's worthwhile as well since platting it might take some time, over 80 hours or so according to some sources. But if you're not into platting it then it's still a good game to get if you're a traditional Zelda fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    Pissyness from another thread spilling over into this one.

Uhhh no
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

I've rented a copy for a week

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pre-ordered my copy months ago, and was quite disappointed I didn't get it in the mail in time for the weekend. Haven't looked forward to a game like this in a long time. The fact that it's made by the developers of the best game of this generation (Demons Souls) only makes me more excited about it.

The only concerning thing I've heard is that some of the quests are "missable", i.e. if you don't do something right you miss the chance to complete them during that playthrough. But I suppose having a new game+ will make it interesting to play through multiple times. Can't wait

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by diskoboy View Post
    (And I know there is another topic about this game on the forums, I can't find it due to our search feature not allowing a word 3 letters or under...)
    I can't believe there is still someone who doesn't know how to get around that. Haven't you guys all worked through tougher problems in the videogames themselves?

1) Use the search on the digitpress.com home page, that will allow 3-character searches.

2) In Google, use the site feature (ie site:digitpress.com/forum nes).

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It is a shame that this awesome looking game is only for PS3. There aren't that many games for the console that I would enjoy.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Drifter 2000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I picked this up yesterday and I'm not really falling in love with it like I thought I would. For me 2D Zelda has always been superior than 3D; so I expected this homage would make me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

It's not though. In fact it's actually a bit on the dry side for me. I think a lot of it has to do with the Zelda formula being done to death, and the fact that I've played the 2D ones so often I'm getting weary of it now.

Exploring the over world is very fun. It would have been more fun if the temples weren't marked on the map. Upgrading your sword is fun, running into new little towns is great, and the visual style is appealing. I even created a custom Conan character that looked pretty great. So that aspect of it is a real highlight for me. A bit of customization thrown in to spice things up.

The real issue is how dreadful the dungeons (temples) are. Holy shit are these things boring or what?! You get the boomerang in the first dungeon and it's barely used outside of hitting far away switches. The first boss was a classic "hit the tail" type enemy; but you didn't need the dungeon's weapon to beat it; which felt odd to me.

They just seem to be lacking...something. I can't quite put my finger on it; but after completing one and a half temples I just find myself kinda bored with the whole thing. I had more fun exploring the over world searching for secrets and such. I know it's a far more technically advanced game; but I felt the dungeons in Darksiders were far more interesting and thought provoking than 3D Dot.

Maybe I'm just crazy though.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I picked it up after work on Friday, and I finished the water dungeon this afternoon.

I wasn't exactly sure what to expect, to be honest. The early screenshots led me to believe that it would be like Dragon Quest, but Zelda works too. It's classic Zelda in 3D voxel format with the sprite style of Dragon Quest.

Usually, this is where I point out some little flaw in the game that ruins the experience, but... it's too damn fun for that. Having just come off of FFXIII, this is bliss. This is the kind of game you want to come home from school/work and just enjoy for a few hours. The only flaw I've found so far is that the collision detection in the octopus fight sucks, but it's not game-breaking.

There's lots of good characters to start with. I know I smiled when I saw White Glint, it's not every day that you see something reference Armored Core. I liked the Demon's Souls reference early on, "I got the demon game, wanna trade? It's too hard!" I haven't sat down to make my own character yet, but I will after I finish the game. GameSpy made Link and put the files up for download, but I think that half the fun of the game is playing Zelda as someone other than Link.

How long is the game? Is there another half after the six dungeons, or does it go into the climax there?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Holy crap, the fire dungeon is controller-thrown-in-anger hard....

If you die, you have to go trough and press all the floor buttons over again, until you activate the instant warp by the boss door.

Semi Noob Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geezuzkane
    PSN
    Geezuzkhrist119
    Steam
    Geezuzkane

it would get it if it is was on the ps store for like 10 bucks but 40 bucks is too much
    Twitter - GEEZUZKANE
    Nintendo: NESx3, SNES, N64x2, NGCx2, WIIx2, GB, GBP, GBCx2, GBASPx2, NDSLx2,
    Sega: SMS, GENx3, SATx2, DCx3
    Sony: PS1, PS1 moddedx2, PS1 Jap, PS1 Slim, PS2x2, PS2 Slim, PSP Go, PS3 Fat, PS3 Slim
    Others: XBOXx2, XBOX w/ hard mod, XBOX w/xbmc and 80gb HDD, X360, X360 Slim MW3 Edition, TG16, INTV, COLV, 2600 JR-broken, Wonderswanx2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Quote Originally Posted by NayusDante View Post
    How long is the game? Is there another half after the six dungeons, or does it go into the climax there?
    I think there are 7 dungeons, total, including the final boss.

This is another game that screams for DLC. And not just the swappable character models... They can always add more dungeons, make the map bigger, add more quests, more sword types, spells, enemies, etc...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have beaten the first two dungeons and I have to say I really love the game for its throw back style. I use the View "Type C" on teh overworld which gives you more of that top down classic 2d experience but unfortunately you can't use that view in the dungeons. I'd say the game is hard enough without being super cheap but I haven't died yet so hopefully it does get harder.

I have no major complaints because this game is a dream come true for me. I always wanted nintendo to redo the first zelda in 3d and now I have it. I dont' care that there is zero story or shallow gameplay or whatever. The game looks beautiful and plays smooth and the music is repetitive but glorious. Thanks Atlus, hopefully there will be some DLC after I beat this game in about 5 hours.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Jehusephat's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Nintega Grafx-16 View Post
    It is a shame that this awesome looking game is only for PS3. There aren't that many games for the console that I would enjoy.
    I thought the same thing about the PS3 until I bought one. I first bought it exclusively to play Demon's Souls, but lately there have been quite a few games I've enjoyed on the system. I have ten games, and my wish list has about five more games on it. To me, 15 good games makes a console worth buying. Then again, I don't have a gaming PC, so I'm stuck with getting a console if I want to enjoy a lot of the more interesting PC titles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Got it a couple of days ago, really enjoying this game so far, and despite having high expectations and looking forward to it for quite some time, I was not disappointed

Yes, it's a direct clone of the early Zelda games, and it doesn't really belong in the same design masterclass as, say, Zelda or Demons Souls, but the controls are really solid and the game is fun as hell to play. The huge swords (which looked a bit ridiculous in the trailers to be honest) are actually *a lot* of fun to use, and I absolutely love that you can use your far-reaching sword attacks to also collect whatever items the enemies drop.

My only complaint so far is that exploring the overworld doesn't seem to capture my imagination as much as I'd like. I was sort of hoping to see much more variety in the ways the game "gates" the player, but in the first few hours the only things I see around are these gaps with poles on either side (which I'm assuming you'll need some sort of hookshot to reach) and some rocks here and there. Zelda always had a huge variety of obstacles from early on, and had this magical way of making the player feel an incredible curiosity for "what's on the other side", but here they haven't pulled off that "mystery" element that well from what I've seen...

But still, great game, and the music for the most part is awesome! (especially the music in the forest labyrinth has been haunting me all day)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

I started this up a few days ago and I'm just not getting into it.

While the game looks great and the voxel style is quite nice, the world and dungeons are bland in design. The dungeons especially. In both, I feel like the solutions and direction are all spoonfed to me, so there is no thinking involved.

The combat is somewhat atrocious, in that the regular not-full-life sword is useless. You almost need full life at all times. It's odd - the long sword makes the game a breeze, the short sword opens you up to cheap shots and increases difficulty greatly. A lot of times, I feel my character stands no chance of manuevering fast enough to dodge such simple things as arrows shot from a wall.

It doesn't help that I don't appreciate the in-jokes, Engrish and From Software puns. I understand a lot of NPCs in games like this have nothing of worth to say, but now they have less than nothing.

I'll keep chugging away at it but I sure as hell not investing any time to dig up all the secrets and swords. If the game really ends and I'm now half way through with 3 orbs to get and the final dungeon, then I will feel pretty ripped off paying $40 for this.
    Last edited by portnoyd; 06-09-2010 at 08:55 PM.