Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DuckTales better than Mega Man?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BacteriaInfection View Post
    My friend wants to sell me Ducktales with Manual for $9. Good deal? I know it's cheap, but damn, I'm picky about what games I collect.
    If the condition is acceptable, that's a pretty good deal and slightly less than it goes for on eBay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree with the OP. Mega Man is some fun stuff but Duck Tales is more fun than the MM games.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Duck Tales is FREAKING AWESOME.

Morphine makes the holy known
    Uncle Lina!
    Eyein’ up/down that sappy nun
    Uncle Lina!
    I’m going to stroke it
    Your arms are BROKEN!
    Uncut! Ohh!
    Hoot all you and an anus, aha!
    Uncut! Ohh!
    Your school’s stupid! Your school’s BaHa!
    Uncut! Ohh!
    If I’m not avail you, taco nazi!
    Look around and count on Lassie!
    Knit and dance and BAKE A CAKE!
    Oh, Uncut! Ohh!
    Hoot all you and an anus, aha!
    Uncut! Ohh!
    Your school’s stupid! Your school’s BaHa!
    Uncut! Ohh!
    And sanskrit ain’t got hoot to say ’bout
    Uncut! Ohh!
    *ahem* So yeah, back on topic...

I grew up playing Mega Man, and developed a serious emotional attachment to the series, so I really can't say Duck Tales is better than MM1-6. That's just my biased opinion.

Duck Tales is REALLY CLOSE though! It looks great, plays great, sounds great... The only thing that bothers me is the moderate difficulty. Mega Man can take a LOT more damage than Scrooge McDuck, and Scrooge doesn't get E-Cans. If I'm not mistaken, you don't get continues in Duck Tales, which is one reason why I still haven't finished it.

Are any of you fans of Star Salzman? He did a great remix of the moon theme:
    Listen - YouTube
    Download Link

Insert Coin (Level 0) TheClash603's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TheClash603
    PSN
    TheClash603

I'm not quite sure what I was looking at/listening to in that Ducktales link... but I liked it... I think?

I never played the DOS game, per the previous post, and now I'm jealous.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wyethin View Post
    If the condition is acceptable, that's a pretty good deal and slightly less than it goes for on eBay.
    thanks!...No one else on this board answered so I wasn't sure....so I told my friend no. But I think I should've bought it from him. I'm going to call him up and see if he still has it.

thanks wyethin!

Insert Coin (Level 0) darkwingduck13's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I personally agree completely with the OP. I enjoyed Duck Tales 1 & 2 much more as a kid than any game in the Mega Man series, and even now I love them more than every Mega Man game combined. I just got much more enjoyment out of the games and felt like the production values were higher. Of course, that's just me, and I don't expect many gamers will agree with that. I also don't care. :P
    Little Nemo: The Dream Master was better than the Mega Man series as well.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Jehusephat's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I never owned Duck Tales 1 or 2 growing up, but I occasionally played the first one at a friend's house. I don't think I've ever been able to tolerate playing the game for more than about twenty minutes, because the levels are not straightforward enough for the type of game it's trying to be. I absolutely love games with large levels that promote exploration, but only if I feel that my exploration is being rewarded--Legacy of the Wizard and Metroid are examples of games that do this well. In those games, exploration leads to the player being given new abilities that open up various areas which were previously not accessible. Branching paths usually lead to items which are helpful in completing a final objective. Levels in Duck Tales only have one goal which can be reached without any special abilities, and after watching a speed run it's apparent that any exploration one might do in this game is pointless unless you're trying to get a high score and a slightly modified ending. If you know where you're going, there are only about 20 minutes of actual gameplay in Duck Tales. Mega Man games use the same kind of "get from point A to point B" goal, but all of the levels are straightforward and the objective is very clear. I always feel like I know where I'm going when I play Mega Man, and I can completely focus on the task of getting to and defeating the boss of each stage. It's safe to say that a Mega Man game would be made less enjoyable if Capcom threw in a lot of mindless dicking around to distract players on the way to the final boss.

Little Nemo is a Capcom game with an open level design, but I enjoy the game far more than Duck Tales because nearly every single area in a level must be traversed in order to find the keys you need to progress in the game, and different abilities are required in order to obtain them. Exploration is necessary, challenging and enjoyable.

I wish I could say Duck Tales had a lot going for it, but it's short, not very challenging, and most of the secret areas are entirely unnecessary if you're just trying to beat the game. It does have great music, though. If you're looking for a good game with Launchpad, ducks and pointless diamond collecting in it, Darkwing Duck is a much better choice in my opinion.

Insert Coin (Level 0) darkwingduck13's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would argue that the changed ending is the most direct type of reward for the exploration. How many games have we played where you're encouraged to explore to get through them, but the end is the same end regardless of whether you found everything or not? In Duck Tales, if you find it all, you literally get something that the player who just "beats the game" does not.

And there are a TON of secrets in Duck Tales. I like secrets.

Darkwing Duck is a good game too, though, don't get me wrong.

Insert Coin (Level 0) TheClash603's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TheClash603
    PSN
    TheClash603

Quote Originally Posted by darkwingduck13 View Post
    I would argue that the changed ending is the most direct type of reward for the exploration. How many games have we played where you're encouraged to explore to get through them, but the end is the same end regardless of whether you found everything or not? In Duck Tales, if you find it all, you literally get something that the player who just "beats the game" does not.

And there are a TON of secrets in Duck Tales. I like secrets.

Darkwing Duck is a good game too, though, don't get me wrong.
    I too ejnoy the secrets is Ducktales, and find the search rewarding, rather than pointless. I am also not the type of person to ever complete a speed run, and someone who would like to do one probably would be more interested in a game like Mega Man.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wyethin View Post
    The question of better/worse left aside for the moment, I think with Mega Man Capcom was primarily interested in providing a refined experience. Precise timing, tight control, great music, etc. DuckTales on the other hand was a fairly strange game.

The whole pogo-sticking combat mechanic in Duck Tales was and still is unusual and in my opinion pretty cool. On top of that, Duck Tales encouraged exploration and time-taking to a degree which only Kid Icarus and Metroid could readily compare at the time.
    this is pretty much exactly what I was going to say. I wish I knew hoe many hours I'd spent playing ducktales in my life. It's a lot

Cherry (Level 1) Chaz From Phantasy Star 2's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    XBox? Yeah right.
    PSN
    PS3? As if.

Quote Originally Posted by duffmanth View Post
    What's even more amazing, is the fact that 99% of games that are based on TV shows/movies have been complete shit, and Ducktales was the further thing from that. Probably cuz Capcom made it.
    No offense, but you couldn't be more wrong. Batman, Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers (Both games), all the Ninja Turtles, Darkwing Duck... hardly a NES adaptation comes to mind that wasn't excellence...

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz From Phantasy Star 2 View Post
    No offense, but you couldn't be more wrong. Batman, Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers (Both games), all the Ninja Turtles, Darkwing Duck... hardly a NES adaptation comes to mind that wasn't excellence...
    Total Recall, Predator, X-Men, Terminator, Back to the Future... shall I continue?

Strawberry (Level 2) tomaitheous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by buzz_n64 View Post
    Total Recall, Predator, X-Men, Terminator, Back to the Future... shall I continue?
    Yes. Let's compare them ALL!
    Tom: That third elephant is so elusive, ya know.
    NFG: Elephants are so unpredictable.
    Tom: Especially in groups of three.
    NFG: Two pairs of three, no less.

Insert Coin (Level 0) BiggerBoo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think you've really got to pick and choose with good/bad license games. But there's a ton of great ones - and some of the bad ones, too are great, just for the camp value of the characters they have running around in them. Yo Noid, anybody?

But for the main argument I have a hard time comparing Duck Tales to Mega Man. I've always felt the level design in Mega Man was much more fluid, whereas Scrooge's range of moves made Duck Tales a game worth playing. I guess Duck Tales is more attuned to the kind of game I like to play, but I have a hard time siding with either of them.
    What an annoying knock!

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz From Phantasy Star 2 View Post
    Willow!