Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ScrewAttack Gaming Convention (Dallas, TX)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mugenmidget View Post
    From the discussion going on at their forums, it sounds like they tried for a few people but nothing came out of it. There are supposedly still surprises in store, but I don't imagine they'd jeopardize admission sales for the element of surprise if they had a guest that was a big draw.
    After scanning their site a bit this morning, I think you are dead on.
    Check out www.videogameconsolelibrary.com for all of your console review needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Back from ScrewAttack, but I'll be returning later today since my son wants to see AVGN. We'll also go tomorrow for Talking Classics.

The show is basically the same as last year, but with no Nolan Bushnell or other keynote speakers. Also, there were only four arcade games set up for free play. The dealer's room was the same odd mix of imports (including a Super Game Boy 2 that I'd never even heard of), trinkets, and common and relatively common older and newer games, but there were some rarities for sale and some interesting odds and ends (such as the Captain America and the Avengers arcade plexi logo-- or whatever you call it--that I bought for $10).

From a personal standpoint, they wouldn't let me set up at a table near the entrance like I did last year, so I was just an attendee. They said it wouldn't be fair to other dealers, but last year they thought it was cool to have an author on hand to do a book signing. They agreed that it added to the show. They were polite enough this time, but for some reason they didn't have the same attitude this year about the signing as they did last year, which is strange since it went so well. I directed people to the sign-up booth, brought in some new customers who otherwise wouldn't have gone to the show, talked to customers who got bored between things to do, and sold a fair number of books. It was a win-win situation, and I'm baffled as to why they didn't feel that way this year.

We met Keith Apicary in the dealer's room, and he was very nice, but, as always, totally in character.

Overall, the show has an odd feel to it. Very exclusive. It seems like most of the people there knew each other from the website, and the people who run the show are YouTube stars, so that's kind of different. It's hard to explain, but it has a different vibe than any other convention I've ever been to. A lot of people there spend lots of time just hanging out, playing their DS.

mugenmidget recognized me and introduced himself, so that was cool. It was nice meeting him.
    Last edited by 8bitgamer; 07-02-2010 at 03:23 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Went back Friday night for the AVGN autographing. He was friendly, he posed for a picture with my son, and he seemed to be having fun. There was a long line, but it went fairly quickly and was well organized. The people in line were cool, and Keith Apicary was going around acting crazy, keeping everyone entertained. I'll be going back today for a screening of Wizard (we have the movie on DVD, but my son wants to enjoy the experience with a big group of people, probably making fun of it), and to attend the Talking Classics panel. And to say hey to Pacecar.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Saturday

Saturday:

Went back to ScrewAttack this afternoon in time for the 3:00 screening of Wizard, which my son wanted to see. He figured everyone would be making fun of it (some were), and that it would be fun to watch the film with a room full of people. Unfortunately, the movie didn't start until 3:45. I asked the ScrewAttackers at the registration desk to put the movie on, but they said there was nothing they could do about it. It was only after several other people approached the registration desk and asked the same thing that the film got played.

There were four more arcade cabinets set up on free play, including Donkey Kong. By sheer coincidence, I watched The King of Kong this morning (for only the second time), so I was definitely in the mood for some Kong. Unfortunately, I didn't break the world record. My high score for the day was close to 40,000.

I had a nice time talking with Pacecar and picked up boxed copies of The Empire Strikes Back and Guerilla War for the NES.

Keith Apicary and his Talking Classics circus was funny, but it started about 45 minutes late. Also, I there was way too much male flesh on display for my tastes, though all the guys running around saying they were Rambo was mildly amusing. Keith himself is an amazing physical comedian and was very quick witted with off-the-cuff answers to the various questions posed by the audience.

Overall, it was an entertaining show, but I far prefer the more traditional videogame conventions like the Classic Gaming Expo and the Oklahoma Video Game Expo. As one person at the show said, ScrewAttack is not a convention--it's a party.

A couple of suggestions for to good folks who run ScrewAttack:

There needs to be a larger vendor's room with more videogame dealers.
    There needs to be more of an effort to make the show more inclusive to outsiders.

There's aren't many videogame shows in Texas, so Kudos to SGC for a fun (if headache-inducing) convention (I mean party).

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It was great to see you there! I posted some other thoughts on the SGC forums, but I agree with your suggestions and hope they work towards improving things for 2011!

Insert Coin (Level 0) Hari Seldon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

From what I saw on the video it looks more like a gathering of like minded people than a convention.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hari Seldon View Post
    From what I saw on the video it looks more like a gathering of like minded people than a convention.
    That's very accurate, which is actually cool in some respects but definitely annoying/frustrating in others.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Hari Seldon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So it's good for a while, then you want to get the hell out of there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hari Seldon View Post

That's a good, concise way to sum up SGC. Essentially a frat party for nerds (which is not a pejorative--nerds are cool).

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default xiaobao

All living Egyptian Kings were believed to be a manifestation of the Son of God. His name in Egyptian and still is in Gaelic, IOSA. (refer Gaelic Gospel of Mark on line). IW in Egyptian means 'Coming' and Sah (S followed by glottal stop) means 'Son'. The story of IOSA is virtually identical to what is told in the gospels. Iosa was also known as HR (Hellenised by the Greeks into Horus). JR can also mean 'Day', therefore the light, and was also seen as the star Sirius. The heliacal rising of Sirius - refer The Egypt Code by Robert Bauval - was most important to Egyptian Priests(Astronomers). They watched for it closely and it only occurs about every 1460 years. One date ed hardy jeans was 1321 BCE and this is the most commonly accepted date for the birth of Ymn Twt Ankh. On the golden shrine of this king, a cartouche names him RE HEPREW NEB - God of All Creations (note Neb only means 'Lord' if preceding the noun. When it follows the noun as it does in this case it means ALL). The Hepre Glyp is a Scarab Beetle. St.Ambrose referred to Jesus/Iosa as 'The ed hardy schuhe Good SCARABaeus'. He was pointing out that Jesus had been an Egyptian King, and who better than the young King David? W is the Egyptian plural letter, so Heprew is creations not just creation. On the wall of David's tomb there is a painting showing him as God the Father (Wasar), God the son, and his Holy Ka. ed hardy bekleidung