Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ps1 memory cards

Insert Coin (Level 0) spongerob's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    As someone who has collected official and 3rd party PlayStation memory cards for a hobby, I know a photo showing the back of a PlayStation memory card is far more informative than a picture of the front.
    Take these two cards, for example.

Viewed from the front, the average person might assume both to be official Sony memory cards. The cases, front and back, are almost identical down to the smallest detail. But when viewed from the back, it’s easy to see that the real Sony memory card on the left has a chip on the memory card. The fake memory card on the right has round black blobs that substitute for chips.

Official Sony memory cards never substituted chips with blobs, but some official Sony memory cards, mostly the original grays, have two chips inside. Some 3rd party memory cards will have a chip and a blob, but practically every fake or 3rd party PlayStation memory card has a black blob somewhere on the card. The only exceptions being Nyko PlayStation cards and most of the multiple MB memory cards.

Even when in the original packaging, the unsuspecting might think they are purchasing an official Sony PlayStation memory card, when in fact, they aren’t. These two look pretty official at first glance, but notice the one on the right has Psone on the memory card. Official Sony PlayStation memory cards never have Psone on the card.

Collecting PlayStation memory cards has become quite an enjoyable hobby of mine. The diversity of the plain jane 3rd party memory cards is tremendous and there’s just all kinds of licensed collectable memory cards. It might surprise some to learn that the far more interesting cards are generally found in Europe and not Japan.
    Years ago I found a third party multiple mb card with a voice recorder on it. It was a pain to operate but it was pretty cool, just as a novelty. Ever heard of one of those? Mine died on me, though I was just using it as a massive backup unit because I expected the failure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    As someone who has collected official and 3rd party PlayStation memory cards for a hobby, I know a photo showing the back of a PlayStation memory card is far more informative than a picture of the front.
    Take these two cards, for example.

Viewed from the front, the average person might assume both to be official Sony memory cards. The cases, front and back, are almost identical down to the smallest detail. But when viewed from the back, it’s easy to see that the real Sony memory card on the left has a chip on the memory card. The fake memory card on the right has round black blobs that substitute for chips.

Official Sony memory cards never substituted chips with blobs, but some official Sony memory cards, mostly the original grays, have two chips inside. Some 3rd party memory cards will have a chip and a blob, but practically every fake or 3rd party PlayStation memory card has a black blob somewhere on the card. The only exceptions being Nyko PlayStation cards and most of the multiple MB memory cards.

Even when in the original packaging, the unsuspecting might think they are purchasing an official Sony PlayStation memory card, when in fact, they aren’t. These two look pretty official at first glance, but notice the one on the right has Psone on the memory card. Official Sony PlayStation memory cards never have Psone on the card.

Collecting PlayStation memory cards has become quite an enjoyable hobby of mine. The diversity of the plain jane 3rd party memory cards is tremendous and there’s just all kinds of licensed collectable memory cards. It might surprise some to learn that the far more interesting cards are generally found in Europe and not Japan.
    Thanks for showing me the difference. Now I know what to look for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've had several of those silver Mad Catz multi memory cards (with the little red rocker switch for changing pages), and I've had zero problems with them, aside from the connection to the little LCD on the card getting flaky. That can make it a bit tough to see what page you're on, but I've never had any data loss with these cards. They don't use any compression nonsense like other cards, which is the main reason the others end up corrupting themselves. The Mad Catz variety just uses simple bank switching.

Here's a random link to one for sale if you're wondering what they look like. They come in 8 and 32 page varieties.
    http://accessorywarehouse.com/high-c...2-p-66209.html

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

FYI, japanese memory cards will work fine in a US system as well, might be cheaper to find them.

The only third party cards I would EVER suggest using would be Kemco brand.
    Last edited by Parodius Duh!; 12-26-2010 at 12:53 PM.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Those multi-page memory cards never seemed to work on my PS2 slim. I guess they work fine on normal PS1s.

Edit: If you have a softmodded PS2 (with freemcboot) you should be able to use the included file manager to back up and restore PS1 saves directly, without a DexDrive. In theory, anyway.
    Last edited by Kitsune Sniper; 12-26-2010 at 02:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Personally, unless you're recording movie data in Gran Turismo 2, stick with first party cards. If the game takes too much room, get the Mega Memory Card. Some say they crap out easily, but it depends on build quality and how much it's been used. I have an InterAct MMC made in 2000, and it's been fine except for hiccups on C2 (block C page 2) from being taken care of over the years. That and first party cards should do fine.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I've weeded out the obvious fakes in my collection, but I'm guessing I probably have at least one or two that look too similar for me to make the call short of cracking them open. I haven't had any issues, so I'm not concerned. I'd stay far away from the multi-page cards, but if they have the usual 15 blocks, they tend to be reliable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I've got a question... are PS1 memory cards region-locked? I bought a few Japanese ones in a thrift store earlier this year, thinking I would use them if and whenever I find an import PS1. I bought them because I thought I'd read something about memory cards being coded to only work in certain regions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Just get a DexDrive. It's amazing Amazon still sells these new.

...or a PS3 and one of these.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

So just for the fun of it, I decided to go through my cards using Spartacus' great info for spotting fakes. I'm really surprised that none of the cards I acquired through buying PlayStation lots are fakes. The only fake I discovered was a clear one that my fiance had from before he met me, which makes sense since he bought it in Chinatown. So just how common is it to come across cards that are trying to fool people into thinking they're Sony brand? Are they still being made in China and invading the available pool of cards? The PlayStation lots I've bought were from people who probably had the stuff since the PlayStation was still alive, so it seems to me like they would be more likely to either have a legit card or cards that aren't hiding that they're third party.

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    I've got a question... are PS1 memory cards region-locked? I bought a few Japanese ones in a thrift store earlier this year, thinking I would use them if and whenever I find an import PS1. I bought them because I thought I'd read something about memory cards being coded to only work in certain regions.
    I posted the answer to this already....No, they are not. they will work fine in a US ps1...probably european ps1 systems as well...100% region free
    Last edited by Parodius Duh!; 12-28-2010 at 02:39 AM.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    Just get a DexDrive. It's amazing Amazon still sells these new.

...or a PS3 and one of these.
    Too bad they never released a USB version of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I have 3 memory cards, an official Sony one, a Lara Croft shaped one and 2 in 1 that I got on clearance at Target a few years back. The Official Sony card had trouble loading at times (probably due to age and abuse) but the other two worked perfectly find last time I used them.

I remember the Mega Memory Card being an unpredictable POS, my buddy at the time had one when he first got his PSX and at one point all of the saved disappeared, then they decided to re-appear soon after he restarted his games. Around that time I had gotten my own PSX and got a MMC as well (before his messed up) and it straight up didn't work, so I exchanged it for an officail one instead.

I'd say just got for a regular third party one if the official ones are priced too high.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I've only had some issues with a few of the the multiple-page mega memory cards. 3rd party memory cards have worked pretty well for me, so I have no problem with using them. I do think that the official Sony cards are of better quality -electronics wise. If a person felt that game saves are extremely important, then they would probably be better off sticking with the Sony cards.

I often mix game saves from import games, both PAL and Japanese, on a single memory card and there's never been any issues doing that. Nor have I ever had to reformat a memory card that I bought from Europe or Japan. Memory cards are surprisingly trouble free region wise.

Where do the counterfeit PlayStation cards come from? Good question. I only collect PS1 memory cards that are still in the original packaging and most of the phony cards I see are loose. I do have a few that are in a blister pack with cardboard backing that look pretty darn official -packaging wise, but all of them say PSone on the memory card. A sure giveaway that it's not a Sony card, despite the PlayStation name and trade mark boldy printed on the packaging.

Here's a picture of what appears to be an official boxed Japanese Sony card.

It's definately NOT a Sony memory card, but the person buying it wouldn't know until they took the card out of the box. I bought that on Ebay from a seller in the US, by the way.

Here's a picture of a boxed Japanese Sony card I purchased from Japan on Yahoo Japan.

It is a real Sony card. But if someone was going by the packaging alone, I think they would have a tough time distinguishing the two.

By the way, I've never run across a counterfeit solid gray PlayStation memory card, except those that had PSone - not PlayStation, printed on the card. That's good to know because the only way you can verify them is by physically taking them apart. The solid gray's are the most common and the easiest to find and also the most likely to contain ATMEL as well as Sony chips.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Yeah, that is helpful. Not that it's terribly hard to open a card, but still. Seems counterproductive from the viewpoint of the counterfeiters, though. If they're trying to fool people, wouldn't they want to use an opaque case to hide the fact that they're not using chips like Sony?