Thread: General PS2 questions, load times, PS1 games etc...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Default General PS2 questions, load times, PS1 games etc...

I just picked up a PS2 with a few games, memory card, and ethernet adaptor. One game (Shark Tale) loads up pretty quickly and plays fine. THe other game (LOTR: The Two Towers) loads on the PS2 menu screen but seems to take forever on the actual games loading screen. I let it run for about 15 minutes and it still kept showing the loading animation in the bottom of the screen.

I tried PS1 games and DVD's as well and they wouldn't load either. Is there something I'm doing wrong or is this a known problem? I completely new to the PS2 so thanks for any help.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

More than likely the laser is dirty. If it's a phat model, they are known to have major dust build up in the console and around the fans. I had the same issue, and took the system apart and used compressed air to blow the dust out, then used a laser lense cleaner disc and now it seems to work fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I'll try that. The vent for the fan did seem pretty dusty before I cleaned it.

Other discs are loaded exactly the same way as PS2 games correct?
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I took it apart and cleaned all the dust bunnies. It's still doing the same thing, only now I have a better view of whats going on. Some discs just start right up while others cause the disc to spin in a few short bursts and then do nothing. It still says disc loading but nothing happens. Continuously hitting reset has gotten some games to eventually load but some won't. I haven't gotten a DVD to load yet, only a handful of PS1 games and 1 PS2 game.

Edit-
    Ok, after messing with it all night, and adjusting the laser height, I finally got it to play everything I threw at it. Except that LOTR game?:. I'm guessing there's something wrong with the disc. Common problems after all.
    Last edited by jb143; 05-22-2010 at 01:34 AM.