Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ghouls 'N Ghosts - Genesis vs. Super Grafx

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Ghouls 'N Ghosts - Genesis vs. Super Grafx

I love that game. Everyone here knows GnG is a classic but no one knows about the Super Grafx version outside of the internet. This is my list of pros and cons for both versions.

Genesis:

+ Cheap
    + Better music
    + Diagonal controls
    - Graphics aren't special

Super Grafx:

+ Graphics more true to the arcade version
    - Music takes a hit
    - Super expensive
    - The system is expensive
    - The system also has five games

Verdict: GENESIS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

No one knows it but the internet?

Insert Coin (Level 0) ConsoleAddict's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What about Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts on the SNES? I know the game is different from the Genesis and Super Grafx versions but how does it stack up with them?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ConsoleAddict View Post
    What about Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts on the SNES? I know the game is different from the Genesis and Super Grafx versions but how does it stack up with them?
    It is not even comparable since it is the sequel.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nintega Grafx-16 View Post
    I love that game. Everyone here knows GnG is a classic but no one knows about the Super Grafx version outside of the internet.
    I thought everyone knew the Super Grafx version from EGM magzine pre-internet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    garou5016

but no one knows about the Super Grafx version outside of the internet.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

What about the Sega Master System version? Is that any decent? All I have is the Genesis version, I haven't played any other version to compare it to.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    What about the Sega Master System version? Is that any decent? All I have is the Genesis version, I haven't played any other version to compare it to.
    The Master System version is as much of a joke as the Super Grafx version IMHO.
    Last edited by Nintega Grafx-16; 05-21-2010 at 07:50 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Master System version is as much of a joke as the Super Grafx version IMHO.
    I guess none knew about your Honest opinion except those on the internet.

Now, onto a real statement about the Master System version outside if generalized who knows what that was supposed to be. The Master System version of Ghouls 'N Ghosts is actually not too bad. It's not as graphically intense as the Genesis and Super Grafx versions, but it does play well and has it's own strong points as well. I actually like the controls quite well and the frame rate is very nice as well, especially for it being a Master System game. One of the nicer ports to the system, to be honest.

The Supergrafx version is nice also for what it is. It is expensive and it is for a very rare system, but if you have the ability and money to pick it up, it actually is a prettu nice port. I am assuming that most of the people here have played the Genesis version of the game, so I'm not going into it. Seriously, all three versions are worth picking up depending on what console platform you own.

Oh, and Super GNG was INSANE! Excellent game again worth picking up. Word!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

blankblankblankblankblankblankblankblankblankblank blankblankblankblankblankblankblankblankblankblank blankblankblankblankblankblankblankblankblank
    Last edited by Blur2040; 12-30-2014 at 10:33 AM.
    Death to Bill and Ted!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Other Versions

Wonderswan
    C64
    Amiga
    Atari ST
    ZX Spectrum
    Amstrad CPC
    Sharp X68000 (best port)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by staxx View Post
    Wonderswan
    C64
    Amiga
    Atari ST
    ZX Spectrum
    Amstrad CPC
    Sharp X68000 (best port)
    Its on different compilation disc from Ps1/Saturn on up also.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Funny neither the game, nor the Supergrafx itself is rare, or expensive. Supergrafx's can be nabbed for $100+ loose, $200 or less boxed regularly. Yes pricier than many older consoles, but there are nowhere near as many out there but hardly rare. I guess $30-50 complete is BIG $ for the game to.
    My gaming blog retro/new...mainly TG/PCE based
    http://turbomasters.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nectarsis View Post
    Funny neither the game, nor the Supergrafx itself is rare, or expensive. Supergrafx's can be nabbed for $100+ loose, $200 or less boxed regularly. Yes pricier than many older consoles, but there are nowhere near as many out there but hardly rare. I guess $30-50 complete is BIG $ for the game to.
    Remember, I guess that only people on the Internet would know that too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The prices are enough to break the bank on some peoples wallets. Given that, it is probably a good thing, as it helps separate the average game player from the more seriously dedicated one who intends to collect and play both. A serious collector is more likely to keep it for the long run as a investment, and take care of the system and games. The average game player would buy one for the intention of trying it, maybe treating it badly, then passing it off on someone else like a common Genesis deck and cart in order to get more stuff to play for the next 3 weeks.

As far as prices go, my Supergrafx ran me around $110. Dai Makaimura ran me about $35 maybe for a complete copy. The Genesis one may be cheap, but it also got curb stomped by the Supergrafx port, and not just in reference to the game itself. The packaging of the Supergrafx port destroys the packaging of the Genesis and MegaDrive ports. You get what you pay for. The SuperGrafx and its few wonderful games are not for the common man.

This thread subject has seriously been done to death on multiple forums. Do threads covering the Supergrafx and its content like this get started half the time then for any other reason then for people who cant afford to buy one to resort to bitching about how much they hate it? Seriously, not like one of these "I cant afford it, its rare, it sucks" haters who collects Turbografx and Pc-Engine stuff wouldn't shit their pants in joy if someone gave them a deck with all the titles released for it as a xmas gift. We know you would. Do we blame you? No. Why do you think we own the damn thing to begin with? To brag constantly? Possibly. You think we don't actually play the thing? I play mine often. Do you think I'll be sneaking one under your xmas tree for Christmas like Santa? Not likely. And if you still believe in Santa, you're a pussy.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

You don't think that's expensive? Shit, you must be rich. Last time I checked anything over about $30 in the classic video game pricing was considered expensive no?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

He is right. Compared to some rarer consoles, the Super Grafx is relatively cheap. Notice how I say "relatively" as, generally speaking, 100$ is not cheap to me, nor the retro game community. (unless you can afford to blow 20k on a gold NWC...)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    You don't think that's expensive? Shit, you must be rich. Last time I checked anything over about $30 in the classic video game pricing was considered expensive no?

All depends on the system/rarity/condition.

Comparing a system with 5 games, and the system died a fairly quick death vs say the Genesis that sold millions of systems (games also having much higher print runs generally) is kind of skewed no? Of course a game on one system that's $5 on the huge selling system, and $50 on the one that didn't last near as long/sell 1/100 as many systems just kinda makes sense (obviously not a rule).

I never said it was OMGZ cheap, but nowhere near this RARE SUPER EXPENSIVE nonsense. This "you must be rich", PC Engine "family" is sooooo expensive to get into is frankly overdone, and highly misinformed.
    Last edited by nectarsis; 05-22-2010 at 01:19 AM.
    My gaming blog retro/new...mainly TG/PCE based
    http://turbomasters.blogspot.com/

Strawberry (Level 2) tomaitheous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hah! No, That's not expensive. You must just be used to cheap games or something. $30 for a complete SGX GnG game is cheap. I remember when they (the games) used to go for $100-150 (GnG and 1941 would often go for that price about 8 years ago). I paid $100 + shipping for my second (loose) SGX. Definitely not expensive, nor was I rich in any way conceivable. Most people even with a shitty job can save up that much in a month, easily. A lot of PCE CD games were in the $35-50 range each, over the past few years. Saturn games go for around that much too. I don't consider that expensive either. I've seen 100% complete PC-Engine Duos go for $500-600. Hell, Hudson purchased a sealed on for $1000 a couple of years back (they were showing it off on their site). Kind of funny that Hudson of all people had to buy their own system

Anyway, isn't the thread about one port of a game VS another port? If so, what does this: "- The system also has five games" have to do with anything? Why is it on the list? >_>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I don't either. I want an Entex Adventurevision. I wish that was $200. Hell, I can't even find it on eBay, at least the Super Grafx always shows up.