Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Screw You, Sega Saturn.

Strawberry (Level 2) starsoldier1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bartre View Post
    i made it a point to watch the whole thing.
    but damn, that was annoying as hell.
    not even actually funny or anything, just dumb.
    Yeah, pretty much but that's why it's on blip instead of Youtube. I knew I would get a lot of heat for this so called 'review'.

Strawberry (Level 2) starsoldier1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zektor View Post
    You have some problems, but it has nothing to do with the Sega Saturn. I watched about 45 seconds. Come on man.
    No, me and my friend have some problems but we blame it on the boos. We hold a controller sometimes... so it has a little to do with the Saturn... kinda.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    unless your using that shitty US one that came with the first run of Saturns, that one is horrible.
    It took me five years to find the Japanese styled controller. Damn the North American Saturn launch pad sucked harsh.

Where I live, Sega Saturn stuff is scarce and sold at lame premium prices. I really would love to get into the Saturn, but, as I said, its hard when local flea markets ask 20-40 bucks for Daytona USA. My Saturn collection is pitiful. I have had the console in my collection since 2004 and I only have 12 games - - Mostly sports ones too.
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicwolf View Post
    It took me five years to find the Japanese styled controller. Damn the North American Saturn launch pad sucked harsh.

Where I live, Sega Saturn stuff is scarce and sold at lame premium prices. I really would love to get into the Saturn, but, as I said, its hard when local flea markets ask 20-40 bucks for Daytona USA. My Saturn collection is pitiful. I have had the console in my collection since 2004 and I only have 12 games - - Mostly sports ones too.
    There's always ebay dude. I live the despite being in a different part of Canada, Saturn prices and scarcity are the same, very lame. I got my first Saturn off ebay, which was strange as it was cheap and from Ontario. Pretty much everything else in my 50+ software collection came from abroad, many of which courtesy ebay.
    Whaddya mean invalid parameters?!

9,000 gigs of ram and it still can't answer a simple question!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have about 30 Saturn games and the most I have ever paid is about $40AUD. And I live in the biggest dead-end in the western world for games collecting.

eBay is your Saturn friend, however, I have found some pretty obscure stuff in the wild for a couple dollars over the years. e.g. white 3D controller, white wireless IR controller set, PAL Guardian Heroes.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

I've managed to get some decent Saturn games, but even though I've had it for a year, I've only been able to get about 17 titles, all of which are good though. It seems the best Saturn stuff is hard to find, even the more common titles like Sonic 3D Blast, Panzer Dragoon, NiGHTS, even Virtua Fighter 2 just don't pop up in the wild that often. Where I work we have few Saturn games, and all the best ones don't last on the shelf very long at all, even the common titles like Daytona, VF2, Sega Rally tend to go quickly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Honestly, I consider myself lucky if i see some sports games for the system. They're THAT hard for me to find in the chicagoland area. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places but I haven't seen any.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

More than anything, I detest the elitist segment of its fanbase. Furthermore... Not only do I have massive hands (wrist to middle finger over 7 inches), and can't stand round d-pads in general, but I'd first used its original US controller. So I ended up very much against the (IMHO godawful) Japanese design when I'd gotten to try it years later.

Yet even despite all that, it's an otherwise solid system I just avoid openly associating myself with for those reasons. My biggest regret is not investing in a RAM cart. Should I get back into Saturn, that'll be among the top proirities. I don't want to again lose save data from those batteries.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wingzrow View Post
    Honestly, I consider myself lucky if i see some sports games for the system. They're THAT hard for me to find in the chicagoland area. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places but I haven't seen any.
    wow, that's pretty bad.
    in general, my local shops lack anything worth mentioning, a few dozen copies of street fighter the movie, VF2, daytona usa, and a few others, but generally any game that's any good that everyone doesn't already have is gone pretty quick.
    but then again, they're usually painfully underpriced unless it's one of the really rare games, ex: rampage for $5, Scud for $3, Bug for $2, all complete.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The saturn is an excellent machine and looks great through S-video on an LCD. I also have a scart to component converter but can't tell the difference from that and S-video. I am in Australia and also hate the stupid cases, I just back them up instead and use a cd book. I also prefer the original Controller instead of the small version, I find it more comfortable for fighting games. The Saturn has some true gems, the catch being the majority are Japanese only, Therefore i've built quite a large Library of Japanese titles, I can read Kanji for the most part which also helps. Imho, the 2d fighters are generally as close to arcade as you're going to get for the era, SF3 Alpha is amazing as is the other capcom fighters, I have all of the SNK fighters with cartridges and can say they are excellent ports. I have finished all of the Atlus RPG's and sega RPG's. I think english ports may have been a big risk but would have probably saved the system in Europe, Aus and the U.S. I think everyone should try Exhumed/Powerslave, and even the commons like quake and Duke Nukem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

through S-video on an LCD
    You mean on a CRT, right? I'm just going to assume you meant an old tv and not an hd one.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You mean on a CRT, right? I'm just going to assume you meant an old tv and not an hd one.
    No, I meant an LCD TV, Looks great on s-video. I realize this may sound surprising, but i speak the truth

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm lucky when it comes to Saturn. I see commons at my two main Play N Trade stores all the time, and have been fortunate enough to run into a handful of really great games on one occasion. I still won't forget the time I got Albert Odyssey, Saturn Bomberman, and Dragon Force, among other games, for $4 apiece, all in the same store.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Gasshu-kun

I've had to get all my Saturn stuff from out of town too. Stuff like this doesn't usually appear that easily, and like others have mentioned before me, go for premium prices. Its mostly due to the "OMG OLD GAME EQUALS GOLD" and "BIG CASES EQUALS CASH" deal. Given that, I'm fine with what I have so far. All I do is continue to search and hit better places when I go out of town.

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    I'm lucky when it comes to Saturn. I see commons at my two main Play N Trade stores all the time, and have been fortunate enough to run into a handful of really great games on one occasion. I still won't forget the time I got Albert Odyssey, Saturn Bomberman, and Dragon Force, among other games, for $4 apiece, all in the same store.
    Nice! Finds like that don't come around often, but prove quite rewarding when the time comes.
    In Heaven, everything is fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

pc-engine>sega saturn

At least that's what the consoles gives me the feeling of.Both suported poorly in the u.s while they had a good run in japan.I still have a saturn and i was early adopter of the console,while i use to be bitter towards soa for how they handle it.At least there were plenty of imports to chose from.

Hmm last i check i had a 100+ games for it,but in recent years i've slimed down on it.

Once in a while i get it out for a play through.The sega saturn did 2d so well...then again that's what the console was design for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by M15fit View Post
    No, I meant an LCD TV, Looks great on s-video. I realize this may sound surprising, but i speak the truth
    Blasphemy! You can't play anything pre PS2 on an hdtv! You miss the scanlines, which blend the picture a certain way. Trust me, find an old tv on the curb with an S-video jack and try running your old games on that. You'll be surprised how much better they look. I would never play Mega Man 8 or panzer dragoon saga on an HDTV, it just doesn't look right.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Blasphemy! You can't play anything pre PS2 on an hdtv! You miss the scanlines, which blend the picture a certain way. Trust me, find an old tv on the curb with an S-video jack and try running your old games on that. You'll be surprised how much better they look. I would never play Mega Man 8 or panzer dragoon saga on an HDTV, it just doesn't look right.
    hehe, I know you're right. But I'm sticking with s-video on a 24 inch screen, I no longer have a CRT tv. I'm currently playing Wachenroder and it looks great, And thanks for the memories, Mega man 8 is getting a run through when i get home. Pure classic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey now, Dreamcast is great on an HDTV -- better than PS2, since it has a much higher rate of progressive scan support.

I've actually found that older systems look pretty damn good on my plasma. About even with my CRT, I dare say. Unfortunately Mega Man 8 and Panzer Dragoon Saga remain on my "to get" list, but I can go play Mega Man X4 and Panzer Dragoon Zwei as substitutes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bullshit. It depends on the LCD HDTV in question. I am using a 40" Samsung 1080P HDTV I purchased about a year ago. It has one s-vid port on the left side of the TV. I previously had the Saturn hooked up to an older CRT TV, and I can tell you that it looks WORLDS better on the HDTV through s-vid.

I do agree that LCD HDTV's normally SUCK for pre-ps2 machines, but the Saturn is definitely an exception (fortunately). I also have the Dreamcast hooked up to s-vid on the same TV. The DC looks good, but nowhere near how perfect the Saturn looks on it.
    Last edited by zektor; 05-28-2010 at 11:24 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GarrettCRW
    PSN
    GarrettCRW

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    I've actually found that older systems look pretty damn good on my plasma. About even with my CRT, I dare say.
    Other than some translucent effects, I've found this to be true with my LCD set. However, the Sega systems do tend to weather the upgrade better than most everything else.
    Webmaster of the Cartoon Review Website!
    http://www.cartoonreviewsite.com

My sale thread