3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Quote Originally Posted by tomaitheous View Post
    Another big reason why SF2 carts are so big, is that all the sprite animation is uncompressed (compare this with other console games that have everything compressed).
    Well, Street Fighter Alpha 2 on the SNES used compressed graphics... but that needed a special chip in the cartridge, and had load times here and there.

As for sound quality... why not compare the sound dumps? I'm not very knowledgeable about the video game sound scene... but seems like comparing the .gym and .spc would be the easiest way to answer these questions.

--Zero

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    When SF2 Turbo came out on SNES, I think it was 20 or 24 megs (despite the fact that, in my opinion, it actually looked a little flatter and less vibrant than the first version.)
    I agree with this. It's still the only SNES SF game I don't own.

Strawberry (Level 2) tomaitheous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_ro View Post
    Well, Street Fighter Alpha 2 on the SNES used compressed graphics... but that needed a special chip in the cartridge, and had load times here and there.
    Which is kinda of ridiculous, as just more rom would have been cheaper (or at minimum the same price but less complexity). A few later gen SNES used that setup, but I think it was more of an anti-piracy thing more than anything else.

As for sound quality... why not compare the sound dumps? I'm not very knowledgeable about the video game sound scene... but seems like comparing the .gym and .spc would be the easiest way to answer these questions.
    Too many variables between the formats. One is a log register format, while the other is a block of code/sample/data from the original. Neither are going to be exact representations of how much music/sample data is used on the cart (though the SPC format would be closer for speculation, but there's still a lot of redundant data).

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Which is kinda of ridiculous, as just more rom would have been cheaper (or at minimum the same price but less complexity). A few later gen SNES used that setup, but I think it was more of an anti-piracy thing more than anything else.
    Indeed. I'm still wishing somebody would make a hack (and preferably hacks of both the Japanese and U.S. releases) that is not only PowerPak-compliant, but also eliminates or at least drastically reduces those load times. As it stands, the game is a pretty good tech demo of sorts for the SNES, but the load times really suck.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This thread reminded me of this project:
    http://nfgworld.com/mb/thread/223
    What ever became of it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PC-ENGINE HELL View Post
    What ever became of it?
    Oh my Dog, that's amazing. I'd love to get my hands on that!

I expect that we'll need a flashcard for it? Or burn it to CD and use it with the Arcade card. Actually, in that little interview, they said they would use the Supergrafx for extra scrolls and the extra elephant - why not just rely on the arcade card for those?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by PC-ENGINE HELL View Post
    What ever became of it?
    The new BG's didn't compress at or less than the original BG sizes, so a new compression scheme was needed. We were going to use "pucrunch" because we had got it working/ported to PC-Engine, but it's a fair amount of worked to add our own code hooks for special case BGs (as well as find an area in ram temporarily for the decompression ring buffer). I lobbied Ryphecha of Mednafen to get an extension to the original SF2 mapper. Something that's backwards compatible (there's a theory that the SF2 mapper itself supports higher than 20megabits, but the traces need to be mapped out on the original rom to find out for sure). Anyway, I couldn't get it supported in mednafen (which is the PCE emulator with a debugger). As for the real system, the mapper is super simple. It can be made with only 2-3 off shelf TTL parts/chips. SF2+ mapper would support up to 68megabits. So that put a damper on the mood of things. We did a lot of work on those BG touch ups, so I do want to put them back into the rom someday (beautiful legal PCE BGs - even converted and everything into raw PCE format).

Anyway, there's also Blanka's stage that was redone as well:

And Bison's (US name, Balrog is the Japanese name IIRC) stage. And I think we started on Ken's stage too.

Insert Coin (Level 0) betamax001's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SaturnXmkII

I was just reading that article about remaking it for the PCE, and I thought how come SF2 never came out for American Turbo Grafx? It was huge back then. It seems like a no brainer to me.
    NES, Atari 7800, Genesis, SNES, Saturn, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, PlayStation 2, GameCube, Atari Flashback 2, Limited Edition Red Wii, PS3 Slim, GBC, GBA, GBASP, DS Lite, and PSP 3000.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And Bison's (US name, Balrog is the Japanese name IIRC) stage.
    US Bison (dictator) = JP Vega
    JP Bison (boxer) = US Balrog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Eyedunno View Post
    US Bison (dictator) = JP Vega
    JP Bison (boxer) = US Balrog
    Heh. I always get them mixed up (even though I've logged a lot of hours on the Japanese PCE hucard version). To anyone's who's interested, there's a good chance the SF2+ mapper might be coming out for mednafen emulator (which is great news). So I can continue the project. To the original thread starter, sorry for derailing the topic. I'll start a new one if I need to post any further on this side stuff.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by betamax001 View Post
    I was just reading that article about remaking it for the PCE, and I thought how come SF2 never came out for American Turbo Grafx? It was huge back then. It seems like a no brainer to me.
    I remember buying a Capcom Fighter Power stick at Electronics Boutique in the SF2 SNES heyday, and they were trying to move the last of their TG16s for $30. I'm still kicking myself for not buying it.

When was the PC Engine SF2' out, was that 1993? Anyone else have any better recollections of what the TG16's market status was at this time? Just going on that memory mentioned above, I'd assume TG16 was dead in the water by then. But I'm rather fuzzy on that...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

likely mail order only

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XYXZYZ View Post
    I remember buying a Capcom Fighter Power stick at Electronics Boutique in the SF2 SNES heyday, and they were trying to move the last of their TG16s for $30. I'm still kicking myself for not buying it.

When was the PC Engine SF2' out, was that 1993? Anyone else have any better recollections of what the TG16's market status was at this time? Just going on that memory mentioned above, I'd assume TG16 was dead in the water by then. But I'm rather fuzzy on that...

Its hardware was still being sold (not very well) in retail at some stores in 1993, with some doing it at discount on the TG-16 and TG-Cd decks. My first TG-16 was picked up right after xmas 92 for 50 bucks at Toys R Us. They continued to sell them at that price all through 93 in my area until they sold out completely. Even places that did not have any systems in stock tended to have games still until late 94/very early 95 when the software was hitting clearance en masse. As for Sf 2 Champion Edition, it was released for Pc-Engine in 93.

Regardless of how well it was doing on the market at that time, it had the games that best suited me, and I will never regret picking up one before getting a Genesis or Snes, as I had far more fun with it then I ever did the other systems. I didn't even plan for sure to get a Genesis until Mortal Monday was confirmed (9-13-93 I think). After that was confirmed I saved up and bought a Genesis in Oct 93 (one of the core decks offering the free Sonic 2 mail away). If not for Mortal Kombat I'd probably not even have bothered with getting a Genesis.

Would have meant I'd have missed out on some awesome games, but I really was pretty happy with what the Turbo offered at that time. I didn't even bother with getting a Snes until spring 94. Up until then I would get games for that system now and then and play them on my brother in laws deck for a bit, then trade them off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If I remember right, Gamefan magazine had a couple of pages on the PCE SF2. EGM might have too, but I'm not 100% sure on that. All the gamers I knew, read EGM but anticipated Gamefan's release every month, so even the guys that didn't have a PC-Engine or Duo knew/read about these import titles. Babbage's (SP) was the store down here for get new TG/CD stuff. They carried TG/CD stuff till their end, iirc. Toys 'r us had TG/CD stuff too, but they weren't as reliable.
    Tom: That third elephant is so elusive, ya know.
    NFG: Elephants are so unpredictable.
    Tom: Especially in groups of three.
    NFG: Two pairs of three, no less.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XYXZYZ View Post

It was definitely still being actively sold in the US, and as far as I was concerned was still very viable. Back then though I had no concept of what "the sales" were, I just knew they were out there in the stores and I would pick up games for it regularly. Those were some great gaming days since I had all 3 consoles at launch and could pick and choose my games freely between the big 3.

Incidentally although I had SF2 for the TG16 (using the adapter shown below) I never really played it because I bought a controller for it in Japan but when I got home I realized it didnt fit the turbografx. I never ended up getting an adapter and it's still unused NIB Ditto for SF2.