Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Mortal Kombat 3: Why?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

cityside: I think that all depended on region. The top players were in California, Chicago, Florida, and New York.

Sub Zero can't do anything in the game to many characters. He isn't able to jump at Jax at all. He can't defeat Ground Pound and stand HK. ....

A lot of regions I went to really didn't know much about the game until they see the top characters play as they should be. In this day and age, You Tube allows for more competitive gameplay quicker, because people can copy everyone else's strategies. Back then, you had to figure it all our yourself =)

Insert Coin (Level 0) AllP0werToSlaves's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mortal Kombat II is arguably my single most favorite fighter of all time; I've been an MK addict since '94.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was four when I started playing mk 1 and loved all 3. But when it hit the 3d camera it lost its charm. By all means mk deception was very fun but just was not very memerable.

But good news looks like there is a new one on its way and it looks like it has gone back to its 2d camera roots.
    Retro is king

Insert Coin (Level 0) TheClash603's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TheClash603
    PSN
    TheClash603

Ultimate MK 3 is my favorite game of the series... and I don't know why everyone hates the robots, because Cyber Smoke is my favorite character in that game.

I did love MK1 (only game that I would play for damn near a year on my Genesis) and MK2 was solid as well. However, it wasn't until the speed introduced with MK3 and then all the updates of UMK3 that the series really hit its potential.

The real question should be "why 3D MK?." MK4 and beyond are okay games, but they never captured the magic of MK1-UMK3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

The running combo system was decent, but MKII was seriously an incredible fighting game. I thought MKII was the best one, just like many other people do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvana View Post
    The running combo system was decent, but MKII was seriously an incredible fighting game. I thought MKII was the best one, just like many other people do.
    Agreed. Had the best stages and characters.
    Retro is king

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Aw, some of you guys are so harsh on this game. I like Mortal Kombat. I do not think it is as good as Street Fighter, but it is a good fighter nevertheless. The darker theme, fatalities, different control, and crazy combos add a lot to the game. I like to play a few games of Mortal Kombat when I am tired of Street Fighter and vice versa. Two fighters are better than one!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd just like to add my $.02. I HATE Street Fighter II and all the sequels. I actually like 'Fighting Street' (Street Fighter 1) for the TG-16 better. Never ever got into those games.

I did, and still do love the MK Series. MK II holds a special place in my heart. MK3 does suck, but everything that is wrong with it was ironed out (imho) with UMK3. As far as actual gameplay and challent, I think UMK3 is one of the best fighters period.
    Selling my collection!!!
    http://myworld.ebay.com/cmstar0/

Insert Coin (Level 0) dnehthend's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love MK-UMK3 and even MKT, MK9 looks promising

I grew up with mortal kombat, I first played it in the arcade at a peter piper pizza when I was in 2nd or 3rd grade... changed my world, I had never played a fighting game before then when mortal kombat 2 came out I remember crowds of people gathered around waiting to fight whoever had just won

I first saw MK3 on a family trip to las vegas, it was a pretty early build, had a lot of glitches... this was also the first and only time i saw a street fighter the movie the game cabinet.. what a joke

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I own MK1 and UMK3 cabinets, but I'd like to maybe trade the 1 for a 2 someday. I've always preferred MK to SF. Then again, I'm not a serious fighter person at all. I'm not even a silly fighter person.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It has always been my dream to have a Mortal Kombat II arcade cab in my home. I came close to actually buying one, except I realized that I wouldn't have any real competition to play again. Beating the CPU is too easy.

MK3 1.0 in my arcade quickly boiled down to Subzero vs. Subzero. Anyone else would lose miserably. The ability to do the "backflip freeze" in midair right on top of the opponent was so powerful. They "fixed" this in 1.1 by not allowing that move to be done directly next to the opponent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really hate the way they 'fixed' problems like that in MK. Not being able to do moves in certain situations is just a cop out.
    It always bothered me that you have to wait for the opponent to get up before doing the ice puddle in MKII. I just thought I was doing the motion wrong or something. Giving the opponent the ability to jump out of it or counter on wake up is how it should have been handled.

Banana (Level 7) snes_collector's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mortal Kombat was been a series that I've always wanted to love, but I just haven't found it. I had MK for SNES as a kid, and couldn't do a thing with it because of the difficulty. I got MK3 for SNES a few years ago and still couldn't do much with it even now. They was always too hard for me, even on easy. I'm not sure if I've ever even made it past the 3rd or 4th opponent. I do have a copy of MK2 for Genesis which I don't believe I've ever played, and after hearing all the postive things about it I believe I'll hook my Genny up and give it a shot, maybe it will change my mind about the series.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Mokida

I have played MK3 & UMK3 back in the late 90s & I fondly recalled that the games were quite hard. :P I remembered watching in awe of how the CPU was able to executed such complex combos in little to no time and recovered so quickly after receiving two or three hits. >_< In retrospect, I wished I built a time machine and tell my younger self to never get those games.

I lived my life with no fear nor hatred... For these traits are certain to the content of my immortal being.