Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

If you're just interested in 8-bit stuff, then I'd say go with the Dingoo. You can get them for fairly cheap (DealExtreme sells them for about $80), there's a respectable homebrew scene. While it runs software off SD card, you might have to do a bit of software hacking, as a lot of software requires Dingux (a version of Linux that runs on the Dingoo) to be installed. You might want to read some FAQs to see if this is going to be a problem for you or not. There are emulators installed right from the factory, so if they cover what you want, you might not have to worry at all. Rumor has it that a new model of Dingoo is on the way, though from what I could tell, the only differences were more memory and a different case style.

The PSP is alright, but you do have to hack it to install a custom firmware... certain models will be more difficult than others (avoid the 3000 and Go), and if you buy retail games, you might have to fight with official firmware update). I also have had poor luck with emulators randomly crashing, confusing directory structures required on the memory card, etc. I wouldn't buy a PSP specifically with emulation in mind. Of course, you have the advantage of playing commercial games, and the PSP is capable of doing all 16-bit systems full speed, and has the Sony-made PSX emulator.

You can also run homebrew on the DS, but this requires a flash adapter (the Acekard 2i is what you want, and only $15). The DS is less powerful than any of the other consoles listed, but there's a good chance you might already have one, so it's worth mentioning anyways. I haven't really done much emulation on DS (I already own a GP2X), but my understanding is that 8-bit systems should be full speed.

The GP2X is somewhat obsolete these days, but if you can find one for cheap, it's an excellent little system. All you have to do is copy whatever you want to an SD card and you're good to go. Very simple overall. The system is powerful enough to do Genesis and TG16 full speed, but SNES is a bit of a challenge for it (some games work great, others slow down a lot). There were a few different versions of the GP2X released, with some changes to the controls. If you decide to get one, I'd say go with the later F-200. None of the models have a "normal" d-pad, which is a little annoying. Keep in mind that you'll have to install the newest firmware update in order to use SDHC cards with it.

There is a newer system called the GP2X Wiz that came out a while back that is a bit more powerful (enough to do SNES emulation perfectly and PSX somewhat decently). Most GP2X software and emulators have been ported to the Wiz. Rather than getting a Wiz though, you might want to wait and see what happens with the Caanoo, which looks to be yet another replacement (same hardware as Wiz, except with more memory, a different case style, and a built-in accelerometer). Rumor has it they were going to announce it at E3, but someone leaked it early. One would hope that all Wiz software would work with it out of the box, but this company is known for making silly changes that break compatibility, so wait and see.

There's also the Pandora. This device is more powerful than any of the others listed (enough to do full-speed PSX, probably N64, and *maybe* even Dreamcast if you don't mind playing without sound and with frame skipping). The Pandora also has a keyboard, which comes in very handy if you want to do any computer-type stuff, or emulate classic computers like C64, Atari 8-bit, Amiga, etc. There have been ridiculous amounts of delays in this project, but they've finally started shipping. They're still working on getting the first 4000 preorders built (let alone shipped), and no one knows whey they're going to open up ordering for the next batch... if you're patient, this might be the better choice overall, but may be overkill if all you want is Atari 2600 and NES.

--Zero
    Last edited by Ze_ro; 05-31-2010 at 03:52 PM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

i agree with everyone that the psp 2000 is by far the easiest, cheapest and best choice.

aside from it running just about everything, you also get all PS1 and PSP games.

modding it is very easy, and googleing helps a lot, as mentioned (you can also buy one from ebay by searching cfw psp 2000).

and psp 2000 has tv output.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I prefer smaller handhelds, so I'd go with the Dingoo.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Theretrogamingroom's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Draquafresh
    PSN
    Retrogamingroom

Default I prefer...

I prefer the Dingoo A320. You can get alot of games on a pretty small unit.

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

I put together this comparison a while back. It's a little bit old (prices probably out of date, doesn't list DSi, and I'm not sure what newer iPhone's feature), but should still be quite relevant:

--Zero

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_ro View Post
    I put together this comparison a while back. It's a little bit old (prices probably out of date, doesn't list DSi, and I'm not sure what newer iPhone's feature), but should still be quite relevant:

--Zero
    Wow, that's pretty danged thorough. Thanks for that, Ze_ro.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Apparently there's a new version of the Wiz called Caanoo that should be available late this summer.
    It has more RAM, a bigger screen(LCD not OLED), an analog nub in place of the dpad, and some sort of motion sensor, but is otherwise the same as the Wiz.

Also, the Dingoo A330 is just a knockoff of the a320 made by a completely different company.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My friend has a Dingoo. I tried a bit, but don't know what to think. NES emulation is dead accurate, except for music playing too quickly... at least in the game I tested (Super Mario Bros. 3). SNES is slow, so you have to reduce the framerate and disable layers if possible. Most homebrew emulators run off of Dingux, so you have to learn how to run that.

I'd like to know how GP2x Wiz stands up to this. How are 16-bit emulators on that, and what systems are emulated so far?
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll probably end up going with the Dingoo, cuz I'm only after 8-bit stuff, mostly....how's GBA emulation on it? Genesis, Master System?

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 369WIERDO369 View Post
    I'll probably end up going with the Dingoo, cuz I'm only after 8-bit stuff, mostly....how's GBA emulation on it? Genesis, Master System?
    GBA emulation on it is good, but Genesis and Master System emulators run better on Dingux.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    GBA emulation on it is good, but Genesis and Master System emulators run better on Dingux.

Alrighty, I'll keep that in mind. =)

Thanks for all your help, everyone!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not sure if this is still the case, but I remember one of the main problems with the Dingoo's default emulators is that you couldn't press Y and B at the same time, making a lot of SNES games practically unplayable. There was supposed to be a firmware update to fix it, but I don't think it ever got released, so you really should just go with Dingux if you do get a Dingoo.

The Wiz had some weird problems of its own. The OLED screen they used is configured as 240x320, probably because it's intended for smartphones, whereas the GP2X has an LCD that's 320x240. This doesn't sound like anything that would cause problems, but the way the Wiz rotates the image to display properly causes really bad tearing with a lot of GP2X software. A lot of stuff has been recompiled to run in 240x320 mode natively, but I'm not sure if all the emulators you want have the fix or not. It's definitely something to look into if you're considering the Wiz.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    The Wiz had some weird problems of its own. The OLED screen they used is configured as 240x320, probably because it's intended for smartphones, whereas the GP2X has an LCD that's 320x240. This doesn't sound like anything that would cause problems, but the way the Wiz rotates the image to display properly causes really bad tearing with a lot of GP2X software. A lot of stuff has been recompiled to run in 240x320 mode natively, but I'm not sure if all the emulators you want have the fix or not. It's definitely something to look into if you're considering the Wiz.
    That was a key problem with the Wiz, most of the applications were ported over from the GP2X without being optimized. As I'm thinking of picking up a Wiz soon, it's something I too need to become better acquainted with.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    I'm not sure if this is still the case, but I remember one of the main problems with the Dingoo's default emulators is that you couldn't press Y and B at the same time, making a lot of SNES games practically unplayable. There was supposed to be a firmware update to fix it, but I don't think it ever got released, so you really should just go with Dingux if you do get a Dingoo.

Alrighty, thanks for the tip.