Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Modern rarities?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the only one I really care about is Steel Battalion just because of the controller it came with really. It and the big box it came in were one of the few things I brought with me to Japan. Though I did recently find a Japanese version of the game (Tekki). But at $150 I can't really afford a 2nd one...

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Swamperon View Post
    I generally feel asking what modern games are rare today is a bit pointless. Surely it will take another 5-10 years for any rares to truly emerge?

Having said that, I'm sure some of the bargain bin junk that plagues the wii (and DS to an extent) will end up being quite rare, but not actually worth that much due to low demand. Who, aside from a few people on this forum, is ever going to go for a complete Wii collection?
    Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    The problem with defining rare games now is any legitimately rare game is identified early on (DUR THIS ONE IS GONNA BE HTF!!11) and then everyone in the know like us buys it up like candy when it's available. Then a few years down the line when the system's games are out of stores, the supply in collector's hands is large enough so no one who needs it has any trouble getting it, so the price doesn't spike and you can't give the game away.

Or what Swamperon said.
    You're both right and it's why I really don't like the word "rare." It's become such a cliche that it's bordering self-parody at this point. With gaming being so mainstream, even as far as the formerly niche Atlus reaping the rewards of the expanding market, it's going to be really...ahem...rare...for another Panzer Dragoon Saga situation. Any game with a small print run that becomes popular enough for the price to skyrocket is going to end up getting a reprint. Then, of course, the minimum print runs required by the big three appear to be in the tens of thousands.

If a game does end up being rare these days it's not going to be that quirky Japanese RPG. It's going to be some random shovelware title nobody cares about. And even then, unless it's some weird promotional thing not sold in stores (like the Uncharted 2 limited edition) it won't be that rare.

I tend to think that if you can find a game in a Best Buy, in a GameStop, or on Amazon.com then it won't be rare. Uncommon, maybe. But I think the market is so saturated today that every release can be found at a reasonable price.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

The things that will be rare will most likely be shit titles that no one cared about when they came out, so they won't have much value attached to them since they won't really be all that desirable down the road. (I mean, there won't suddenly be a run on "Jig-A-Pix" for DS or "Eat Lead" for PS3/360)

Now some of the truly "limited editions", of which there are few, will fetch a good price long into the future, especially once collectors start hunting them down. (BioShock, Mass Effect/Mass Effect 2, MGS3 Subsistence come to mind immediately)

Otherwise, you'll run into the FFVII situation where demand drives prices, physical "rarity" be damned.
    Last edited by Oobgarm; 06-01-2010 at 12:28 PM.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Insert Coin (Level 0) arcadecup's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

etrian odyssey maybe?
    atlus seems hit and miss one some games.
    i dont think they print the hell out of all their titles.
    Chad Entringer
    920-883-8905
    www.arcadecup.com

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm View Post
    The things that will be rare will most likely be shit titles that no one cared about when they came out, so they won't have much value attached to them since they won't really be all that desirable down the road. (I mean, there won't suddenly be a run on "Jig-A-Pix" for DS or "Eat Lead" for PS3/360)

Now some of the truly "limited editions", of which there are few, will fetch a good price long into the future, especially once collectors start hunting them down. (BioShock, Mass Effect/Mass Effect 2, MGS3 Subsistence come to mind immediately)

Otherwise, you'll run into the FFVII situation where demand drives prices, physical "rarity" be damned.
    I agree that just being numerically "rare" doesn't seem to be the driving factor in value or demand and as such, lots of numerically rare games from previous generations frequently are easy to buy at low prices on Ebay and from other sources. I think the same will hold true in modern games. There are tons of numerically rare Wii and DS shovelware titles, but unless they were sleepers like Shantae on the GBC that actually were really good games, there will be no demand at all and no value. As such, the numerically scarce number of copies will just sit on Ebay and Amazon and everywhere else and nobody will care about them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The rarest games I can think of off the top of my head based on my own experiences are as follows: Ico and Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (Limited Edition) for PS2, Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes and Wario World for the GameCube, and Marvel vs. Capcom for the Xbox. Among current consoles, it's too soon to say, but if history is any indicator certain games from Atlus, Konami, Square, and Nintendo could become rare after a while?

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by duffmanth View Post
    The rarest games I can think of off the top of my head based on my own experiences are as follows: Ico and Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (Limited Edition) for PS2, Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes and Wario World for the GameCube, and Marvel vs. Capcom for the Xbox. Among current consoles, it's too soon to say, but if history is any indicator certain games from Atlus, Konami, Square, and Nintendo could become rare after a while?
    But those titles aren't necessarily numerically "rare", they are just in demand and are currently valuable. You can still find many copies of each on Ebay and from other sources with very little effort. Also, companies like Atlus, Konami, Square and Nintendo are pumping out hundreds of thousands of copies of even their obscure titles nowadays and with so many speculators and non-gamer collectors out there, I think it's gonna be another 90s comic book situation where nothing in this generation or the last for that matter is really "rare".

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sixwayshot View Post
    I've found that Ikaruga for the Gamecube is a bitch to find. It's also a bitch to pay for. I lucked out and found a copy at Gamestop, but I don't think the game is easy to find in the slightest.
    The copy you got might've been the copy I owned a long time ago. Was it missing the manual?
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    But those titles aren't necessarily numerically "rare", they are just in demand and are currently valuable. You can still find many copies of each on Ebay and from other sources with very little effort. Also, companies like Atlus, Konami, Square and Nintendo are pumping out hundreds of thousands of copies of even their obscure titles nowadays and with so many speculators and non-gamer collectors out there, I think it's gonna be another 90s comic book situation where nothing in this generation or the last for that matter is really "rare".
    With the exception of MGS3: LE, these games aren't necessarily "numerically" rare, I'm just going by my own experiences trying to find them. Most of these games are virtually non existent at retail in my area, and even on ebay, there are usually only a dozen listings or less for MGS3: LE at any given time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What's that one Wii chess game that they only printed a tiny amount of copies of?
    And don't bring up that stupid girlie Aladdin rip off! Shantea?

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by arcadecup View Post
    etrian odyssey maybe?
    atlus seems hit and miss one some games.
    i dont think they print the hell out of all their titles.
    Why do people assume that Atlus actually has rarities anymore? There is no game that Atlus has released this generation that can't be found for cheap.

I'm interested in Hexyz Force but waiting for the price drop that I'm sure will come around later. 3d Dot Game Heroes as well. Not interested, but once it hits $20 I'm picking it up.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Gasshu-kun

Quote Originally Posted by Nintega Grafx-16 View Post
    Unlike many "limited edition" games for 360, the Deathsmiles LE set is guaranteed to be rare soon since virtually nobody plays 2D shoot 'em ups anymore. Count on it.
    In order to know that "virtually nobody playes 2D shoot 'em ups anymore", wouldn't you have to know "virtually everyone that plays video games?" You must have access to the vast compendium of video game knowledge past and present with a guarantee like that.

Just sayin'.
    In Heaven, everything is fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Patapon 2 on umd. Just picked up a copy locally so I know it exists.
    Check out www.videogameconsolelibrary.com for all of your console review needs!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 98PaceCar View Post
    Patapon 2 on umd. Just picked up a copy locally so I know it exists.
    Actually, it's part of the new $10 PSP UMD line that Sony just announced today. It's available at Fry's and Gamestop already, but I assume most other major retailers will stock it as well.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/06/01/so...s-psp-go-deal/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Actually, it's part of the new $10 PSP UMD line that Sony just announced today. It's available at Fry's and Gamestop already, but I assume most other major retailers will stock it as well.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/06/01/so...s-psp-go-deal/
    Interesting. Nothing on the package denotes it as a PSP Favorite or anything. It's just missing the normal download voucher header. Well, rare or not, I'm glad to finally be able to play it.
    Check out www.videogameconsolelibrary.com for all of your console review needs!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 98PaceCar View Post
    Interesting. Nothing on the package denotes it as a PSP Favorite or anything. It's just missing the normal download voucher header. Well, rare or not, I'm glad to finally be able to play it.
    Yep. Copies started turning up about a week ago. In addition to the new PSP bar up top (which is actually slightly different than the one on the download voucher version), it also has a reference to the IGN 2009 game of the year award on the bottom of the front cover. I also saw a new stack of Buzz Quiz yesterday at Best Buy for $10. It doesn't look like Sony is going to actually create PSP Favorite artwork. The cases the games come in though appear lighter than the old PSP cases and have trouble holding the UMDs in place. Still, for $10 each, I suppose I can't complain.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Disgaea is an overrated piece of garbage that atleast was worth ~$90-100 before they decided to make a reprint the game five times then make a warehouse full of reprints. Even though I hate the game it was nice knowing it was worth something, now I hate the game and it's worth nothing. I've contemplated letting my cat take a dump on it then record myself setting the game on fire to put it on Youtube. Maybe make a video of La Pucelle also. If I was to do that I'd definitely make a video of La Pucelle first(much worse of a game.)
    dude... why wont you leave already? isnt 2 years worth of trolling enough for you to move on?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It seems this generation it has been more difficult to speculate on potential rarities than it was last gen. The prices of games like Bust-a-Move 3000, NCAA Baskeball 2K3, and Pokemon Box on Gamecube went insanely high right after release just on rumors of it being rare. Now, they're worth maybe ten bucks a piece, if that. But to be fair, they could still be considered rare. I haven't seen any titles doing that this gen, but perhaps I haven't followed as closely either?

I think the question that should be asked is not "what will be rare?" It should be "which of these desirable titles is in the strongest demand and shortest supply?" There's 100 titles on Wii that will be rare, but if nobody's ever heard of them, and they are most assuredly going to be terrible, who's going to care in 10 years if they are hard to find? There won't be enough people pursuing them to care... unless you never open them maybe?

There's plenty of NES titles that are super rare, but I've managed to pick them up for a couple bucks, because they are not noteworthy or special in any way. I think that will not change from generation to generation.
    -Dobie
    NES, SNES, & Gameboy Collector

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Rare games were never common to begin with. I think the biggest misconception is that in the days of yore every month a game came out that was predestined to become a rare treasure and today every game is a dime a dozen.

It was never easy to predict this stuff. Why is Suikoden II worth a mint while Vandal Hearts II is $30 at the most? Two Konami RPGs released at roughly the same time with at least a few similarities between them and presumably comparable print runs yet one becomes "the game" and the other a forgotten relic. There's no rationality to any of it. It just happens or it doesn't. You'll have better luck playing Roulette.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dobie View Post
    It seems this generation it has been more difficult to speculate on potential rarities than it was last gen. The prices of games like Bust-a-Move 3000, NCAA Baskeball 2K3, and Pokemon Box on Gamecube went insanely high right after release just on rumors of it being rare. Now, they're worth maybe ten bucks a piece, if that. But to be fair, they could still be considered rare. I haven't seen any titles doing that this gen, but perhaps I haven't followed as closely either?

I think the question that should be asked is not "what will be rare?" It should be "which of these desirable titles is in the strongest demand and shortest supply?" There's 100 titles on Wii that will be rare, but if nobody's ever heard of them, and they are most assuredly going to be terrible, who's going to care in 10 years if they are hard to find? There won't be enough people pursuing them to care... unless you never open them maybe?

There's plenty of NES titles that are super rare, but I've managed to pick them up for a couple bucks, because they are not noteworthy or special in any way. I think that will not change from generation to generation.

Where have you found copies of BAM 3000, Pokemon Box and NCAA 2K3 for under $10? I'm not saying it's not possible to happen onto a copy at a swap meet or thrift shop or in a lot, but on a pretty consistent basis, those titles still demand a premium among collectors and on Ebay. They are also what I would consider to be numerically rare compared to other GC titles. Otherwise, I generally agree with your points.